• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Necromancer Games Adventures Worth Getting/Avoiding?

meomwt

First Post
My favourite is The Grey Citadel, it has a strong plot, lots of city-based stuff, investigation and RP elements, and a kick-ass dungeon at the end.

The Citadel is one of the better described cities in RP modules, with enough detail there to use as a base of operations for future campaign developments.

It's worth checking out the Necromancer Forums (via the front page of their site or a Google search) as some people have included details of their Campaigns using the Necro modules - that may help your decisions on which to buy. They may also give some inspiration for things to throw at your players as well, of course :devil:

catsclaw227

First Post
Personally, the ones that I like the most, I DMed:

Lost City of Barakus - W.D.B Kenower
Doom of Listenshire - Ari Marmell
The Vault of Larin Karr - W.D.B Kenower, Mike Johnstone, and Brian LeBlanc
(I also did some of Demons and Devils)

These were all very good.

Last edited:

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Lost City of Barakus gave us a pretty fun campaign that lasted nearly 2 years of biweekly play, ca 35 sessions. It uses & requires half XP (PCs should go from 1st to ca 6th level), which allows for a more leisurely, exploratory feel. It features a large dungeon but the real selling point is that it also has lots & lots of wilderness and city adventures; it's done in a 'sand box' style and can be run as-is or add your own ideas.

I would say that as GM I found it a bit bland at times, but my players definitely enjoyed it a *lot*.

Agreed. Barakus is the campaign that I'm currently running and it's been a blast. I changed it up a fair amount in parts, but the setting is great and some of the encounters are beautiful.

My campaign's fizzling, but only on my end, and not because I'm bored with it: just real life crap (school, moving). The players are having a blast, and I've enjoyed the NPCs and enemies immensely.

I also have Rappan Athuk Reloaded (love it!), City of Brass (probably one of the most roleplaying-heavy modules in recent memory, at least potentially), and Demons & Devils (very good, but pretty small...make sure to download the extras that are offered on Necromancer's site).

I've used the free adventure (Wizard's Amulet??) to great fanfare as well. In fact, it was what opened my Barakus campaign. Again, some minor tweaks were made, but Vortigern ended up being a major badguy in the campaign.

Daern

Explorer
My favourite is The Grey Citadel, it has a strong plot, lots of city-based stuff, investigation and RP elements, and a kick-ass dungeon at the end.

The Citadel is one of the better described cities in RP modules, with enough detail there to use as a base of operations for future campaign developments.

It's worth checking out the Necromancer Forums (via the front page of their site or a Google search) as some people have included details of their Campaigns using the Necro modules - that may help your decisions on which to buy. They may also give some inspiration for things to throw at your players as well, of course :devil:

Yes. This is a really great gritty urban fantasy setting/mini-campaign. I think its for 5th level.

Adso

First Post
I think my favorites are Rappan Athuk, Demons and Devils, and the Tomb of Abysthor. All are old fashion dungeon delving at their finest--and I likes me some good old fashion dungeon delving. I've run all three and had a blast. I go still go back to them when I want to get into a good mood for doing evil things to my "poor" PCs. :devil:

Frost

First Post
Rappan Athuk
Tomb of Abysthor
Mesopotamia
Vault of Larin Karr

The clockwork stuff in Siege of Durgam's Folly sort of threw me, but my players really enjoyed it.

I'm being DMed through Grey Citadel right now and am really enjoying it.

catsclaw227

First Post
I should add Rappan Athuk and Tomb of Abysthor as well. These were a blast to play. I should qualify that I did a bit of RA 3.0 back in the day and then only some of RARe because the game group split due to babys and moving.

Either way, they're both quality adventures.

I loved Rappan Athuk and Tomb of Abysthor. So many juicy tie-ins between the two.

And I loved how NG made all sorts of downloadable extras to flesh out the adventures and surrounding areas. Awesome!

Remove ads