Which official 5E adventures have you played through?

I have completed Lost Mines of Phandelvar and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but neither are options in the poll. Currently playing through Out of the Abyss so I can't really say I've played through it yet.

I have completed Lost Mines of Phandelvar and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but neither are options in the poll. Currently playing through Out of the Abyss so I can't really say I've played through it yet.

Just finished playing through Lost Mine of Phandelver. Well technically, because the group died at the final boss. But it still had an ending and stuff.

Now started Princes of the Apocalypse. As I'm not giving my players an easy time, the chance they'll actually finish it is low. At least other DMs told me TPK is pretty likely in this adventure if the DM doesn't make it easier for the players.

Edit: I'm actually pretty proud of having finished LMoP. I played by PbP and it took 22 months. Most players said it's very rare to have a DM that actually finishes a game in PbP.

Last edited by a moderator:

I purchased all of them, but mostly for future use, as I'm still busy running 2e stuff. Curse of Strahd is the only one I'm currently running, and we're going in a very slow pace. I expect to finish it before the end of 2017, though.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I don't think we finished any of them, though we are playing in or have played 5 of the 6 (the exception being CoS).

We are looking forward to the Yawning Portal so we can have shorter campaigns, and more flexibility to play at different tiers.

LapBandit

First Post
Finished as DM: 2 x Lost Mine of Phandelver, Princes of the Apocalypse
Finished as PC: Tyranny of Dragons, Curse of Strahd

Would recommend: Everything but Tyranny of Dragons

Would advise: APs are a lot of work but it's nice to not have to think of EVERYTHING yourself. You can always pick the pieces out of an AP that you like.

deactivatedadam

First Post
Wow, it may be early in this post's life, but it already seems telling(my opinion). Long campaigns don't seem to be as well regarded as I thought they would be. I've ran LMOP several times and I think its the perfect size to reduce campaign death by attrition or life situations. I've started running Curse of Strahd, gotten through Death House and hopefully it will keep going. I'm excited about Tales from the Yawning Portal, hopefully it will be well regarded and WOTC will push out at least one more of these before moving back to large campaigns. One other thing thats nice if you are a Fantasy Grounds user, both Legacy of the Crystal Shard and Scourge of the Sword Coast are available/updated for 5E.

trystero

Explorer
I ran my group through Lost Mine of Phandelver, which we all liked, and through Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which my players liked more than I'd expected. We didn't go on to The Rise of Tiamat, though; instead, another player is GMing Curse of Strahd (and another is talking about running Storm King's Thunder when we're done).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Interesting results, that LMoP and HotDQ(ToD) would see a lot of play is hardly surprising. That it dropped off, then spiked with CoS is interesting. I can think of 2 interpretations right off the bat:

1) The APs are actually coming out 'too fast' - people were just wrapping ToD when CoS came out, so they skipped the two between.

2) CoS spiked because it was a solid reprise of a classic, well-regarded D&D property, Castle Ravenloft.

I played through the first half of Out of the Abyss. We got out of the Underdark, and didn't go back. I still miss Globogloo or whatever his name was. Charmingest gelatinous cube I've ever met.

Remove ads

Remove ads