Which official 5E adventures have you played through?

I have completed Lost Mines of Phandelvar and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but neither are options in the poll. Currently playing through Out of the Abyss so I can't really say I've played through it yet.

I have completed Lost Mines of Phandelvar and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but neither are options in the poll. Currently playing through Out of the Abyss so I can't really say I've played through it yet.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Ran Hoard of the Dragon Queen, it was our get to know 5e campaign but didn't go further with it. Currently playing Out of the Abyss but I'm probably going to rewrite the second half for the most part. No plans to take part in any of the WOTC storylines after this.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I think this pole needed a "none" option.

One thing about the APs, and adventures in general: for most groups a little prepared adventure goes a long way. And several things can keep a group from completing one.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I've DM'ed all of them. Amusingly, my groups TPK'ed in the "final encounter" of three of these (Curse of Strahd, Princes of the Apocalypse, Hoard of the Dragon Queen). They finished 80% of Phandelver, and we're still early days in Storm King's Thunder.

Of all the campaigns, only Out of the Abyss truly disappointed. As a DM, I was really excited about the campaign... but it just fizzled out after the initial escape from the Underdark. I still think the campaign has a lot of potential, but it never really seemed to gel with the particular group I was DM'ing.

thorgrit

Explorer
I've played in, but not finished, Tyranny of Dragons and Lost Mine, both from the same DM, both times abandoned when neither they or us players could figure out what was going on. I started DMing, but never finished, Curse of Strahd, because NPC information was never consolidated/organized enough for me and I ended up cutting out so much it didn't feel like Ravenloft anymore. (Players gave up on it just as I was railroading them to the castle, where I had several editions' worth of material to cross-reference.)

Sloblock

Explorer
so far

DM
Tyranny of Dragons
Lost Mines
Curse of Strahd - just starting

Played
Lost Mines
Princes of the Apocalypse - currently 16 sessions into this

For me, I think the Tyranny AP was really good, but did require a crap load of work from me to get it into shape, especially the second book. I am time poor so a complete Homebrew isn't for me, so I prefer an AP to tinker with

Strahd took more to setup, mainly due to the open ended route the PCs could take, but I am taking that as a new challenge.

I do own Abyss but I doubt I would get to run it though...

Vexorg

Explorer
I almost never run published adventures. I buy adventures and cannibalize them for encounters, NPCs and maps for my home brew campaigns. So, I own Strahd and Abyss.

I made an exception for Lost Mines, though. I used it to teach the game to some new players

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
Started all of them but never finished. Player's grew bored half-way through most of them so we decided to homebrew until we come across one we like.

Started Hoard of Dragon Queen and PotA did not finish either one.

Finished LMoP.

Haven't bought anything after OotA.
Lost Mines are excellent - not too long, varied, much player agency.

Avoided Tyranny of Dragons by holding off until the reviews could reveal the shoddy workmanship.

Didn't use Princes, not because of reviews, but because I've played the d20 Elemental Evil megadungeon, and burned out for life.

Out of the Abyss has a decidedly sloppy second half, but no reviews caught that, and so I had to find out for myself. We're probably 85% done now, which - yeay!

Curse of Strahd seems to have an entirely higher level of quality and polish, but we've run the d20 Ravenloft (do think it fizzled in the end, though), so, would probably not have picked it even if we weren't busy with OotA.

Storm King - again, no time. Will probably loot for general Sword Coast encounters though.

Upcoming Yawning Portal. If I can muster enthusiasm for an xp for gold mini-campaign, perhaps. Otherwise, no, probably not - don't have much use for bona fide dungeons.

Hastati

Explorer
Our group finished PotA and started Abyss and Strahd. The latter two stalled and we returned to our PotA characters for a higher level homebrew game.

Remove ads

Remove ads