Which official 5E adventures have you played through?

I have completed Lost Mines of Phandelvar and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but neither are options in the poll. Currently playing through Out of the Abyss so I can't really say I've played through it yet.

I have completed Lost Mines of Phandelvar and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but neither are options in the poll. Currently playing through Out of the Abyss so I can't really say I've played through it yet.

werecorpse

Adventurer
is the question "played" or "played through" ?

Ive started LMoP and ToD, didn't get far though LMoP failure to progress was for real world issues.

thexar

Explorer
In general - they are all garbage.

First off, these are poorly edited. There are a lot of names on the credits page. Didn't anyone sit down and try to read this thing? The errata tells you exactly how bad it is. How does one keep track of the errata anyway? I don't have them in reach, so here are some examples that my addled brain held on to. In Tyranny, there was a map that had duplicated rooms - with a unique monster. Two numbers were left out of the map, one had a key, the other had the boss. In Apoc, the players entered the cavern and walked straight to the temple. When they exited the other side, that area described a guardian sitting on top watching for anyone approaching. Oops, already been there. In Apoc, the entrance to one of the temples is mentioned once in text in an area the PCs aren't likely to explore.

Basically, in order to successfully run these, you have to read the whole thing, and figure it out ahead of time. I hate that. I want to enjoy the adventure with the players, and I bought an adventure so I wouldn't have to do a lot of work. It should be written so I can follow it like a 'choose your own adventure' to facilitate the easiest mode of play. If it's written linearly, it can still be played out of order or sandbox. But when it's written like a sandbox, it's very difficult to plop it down and play it linearly.

The monster appendix isn't in lexical order. They are grouped in the way they appear in chapters - which is useless if I'm in a chapter and have to flip back to the appendix for monster stats.

Tyranny starts in the dumbest way possible: the party comes upon a town surrounded by an army, and under attack from a dragon. What 1st - 3rd level party would ever say "Let's check this out." Some time later you're in an area for a level 6 group. Completely clearing the chapter doesn't earn a 4 person party half the xp they need for 7th, but they enter the next chapter in hot pursuit of a villain. This chapter recommends level 7. If they make their tracking check to keep up the chase, go directly to chapter for level 8.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Loved LMoP, as did players
Played in PotA - got to become a feathergale knight and then destroyed or organization from within - enjoyed it greatly

DMed OotA - Players liked the alien and deadly area. Loved Stool. Loved fighting the demon lords and their minions (I adapted the story a lot)

Playing currently in SKT - I think this DM is running it a bit differently that most. We are certainly doing a lot of fun stuff, like rebuilding Nightstone as a base. I think what is missing is that there are several clans of Giants being thrown at us at once, and we aren't getting to a point with a clear goal or an enemy to hate you know? I find that important, the want to kill a baddie. Perhaps it was a random way we rolled character traits and backgrounds, but I feel the character I am playing needs some more motivation. There have certainly been some fun moments. I can't say if it is the story or the way it is presented currently, that is letting me down.

ccs

41st lv DM
I haven't DM'd any of them.
I was planning to run CoS - but then one of the guys I play with decided this was the one he wanted to try his hand at. So....

I've played Hoard twice, both times the game fizzled out during the caravan part.

I'm currently 5th lv in our CoS game....

PHDungeon

First Post
I wish this poll wasn't so binary. I'm not sure what to check for some of them since we didn't finish them. I ran Lost Mines to completion. I ran a lot of the material in Princes of the Apocalypse and essentially finished that adventure. I played through most of Tyranny of Dragons, but that game group kind of feel apart and we didn't quite finish it. I played some of Curse of Stradh, but the DM decided to put it on permanent hiatus before we really got too far into it.

I'm a player in a campaign that is about halfway through PotA. We used part of LMoP as a lead in to PotA.

Once we finish PotA (probably another 6 months of fortnightly sessions) I might put my hand up to DM CoS. We shall see.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Kicked off my DMing career with LMoP, transitioned into ToD, but getting a bit frustrated with the fetch quests that don't reward the players... pondering transitioning into SKT and coming back to RoT for the finale.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Mashing Princes and Storm Kings Thunder together, playing both at same time with kids. It works better for me since characters can get to higher levels instead of topping out around 12, and I know it will take a year, so new stuff will be out.

Shiroiken

Legend
I've run Lost Mines twice as an introductory adventure, but never got farther than 2 chapters since they were one shots. I played in OotA, but the DM got bored of that campaign while we were in the Drugar city.

agrayday

Explorer
I think some great follow up questions for each adventure would be: Did you start it, % through it before stopping or did you finish it? How how long did it take you, and how many players in your group?

Tried to run tyranny twice, with 2 players then with 3 first go made it 50% main quest, second time only 25%
Princes of Apoc: Ran 2 players took about 6 months (modified).
tried to run out of the abyss: with three but only made it about 25%
Tried to run Strahd three times, three different groups, a 3 player, 4player, and another 3 player all dropped out about 50%.

Complaints I hear, are just people saying these are too long, to run. So we run modules quick start to finish sessions, could just be the people we table with but everyone isn't really into the long drawn out saga, want resolution quicker. Our group is pretty good around the 4-6month consistent sessions, once we get beyond 8 months is when people start not showing up or start asking questions about other modules or rpg's.

Remove ads

Remove ads