Which Social Media Platforms Do You Use?

Which Social Media Platform(s) Do You Use?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Obviously, you use internet message forums like ENWorld, otherwise you wouldn't be here. But what other platforms do you use?

For the purpose of this poll, a "social media platform" is:
  • an interactive, internet-based application, with
  • user-generated content (text, photos, videos) that are generated through all interactions, and
  • have a user-created, service-specific user profile. (You have to create an account and log in.)
And you are considered to "use a platform" if you have created an account for it, and that account is still active (meaning that you can log back in if you wanted.)

So check all that apply! Since you're here and voting, let's all assume that the missing "Message Forum" box is there, and has already been checked. ;)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I might still have accounts on some others, but am not even sure if the password recovery goes to a currently available e-mail account. Is tumblr social media?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Clever Nick, like how you made the vote not anonymous... felt a little invasive.
I was trying to be true to the spirit of "social media."

I deliberately didn't list any online dating apps or adult video sharing platforms, though, even though they are technically "social media." I wanted to keep this fun and light-hearted, and I didn't want the conversation to get dragged to dark places.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
That certainly increases my votes from about 2 to about 10. I've checked them in the poll, but I really don't use them.
Same here. I've had the same LinkedIn account for decades; I first set it up back when I was looking for work after I graduated from college the first time. I haven't logged into it since. Hell, I can count on one hand the number of times I ever logged in at all.

Same thing for my blog; I stopped blogging when Facebook was new.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I only ticked a couple because I have accounts. I ticked Discord, but really I only use it for my gaming group. LinkedIn surprisingly is the only one I would consider used, but mostly just to keep my eye on the profession and my network.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm mostly here on ENWorld or Reddit, which tend to have the most TTRPG-related content. I fish around for ideas, listen to people argue about game mechanics, and keep track of the latest books and rumors. I'd say it's 90% of my social media presence.

When the pandemic struck, we switched to online gaming. So I also have a Discord server for my weekly D&D gaming group, and we haven't gone back to "in-person gaming" yet.

I also set up a Twitch account so that I could watch Critical Role every Thursday and Dimension20 every Tuesday, and I have a YouTube account to watch a lot of cooking, history, gaming, and engineering channels. (I'm a big fan of How To Cook That, Practical Engineering, Tasting History, Townsends, Ginny Di...) I probably watch more YouTube than television these days.

Also thanks to the pandemic, I started chatting with my out-of-state family over Google Chat every Saturday; we pull out a recipe from the family cookbook, maybe open a bottle of wine, and we cook/have lunch together via webcam. I hope we continue to do that even after the pandemic; it's a LOT of fun...especially after grandma is on her third mimosa.

And that's about it! There are other social media platforms or apps that I have access to, like blogs and Facebook and LinkedIn, but I haven't accessed them in years. I'm not even sure I remember my login names, let alone the passwords, or the email addresses I could use to recover those passwords.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I'm on YouTube all the time but have never posted any content.

I assume I still have access to my Pinterest account, but I haven't bothered to log into it since they took the WotC forums offline. I was the OP and one of the main contributors in the last two What Do YOU Think My Character Looks Like? threads, so it was a great resource for finding source material to manipulate...
I also assume I still have a deviantArt account, although I also haven't logged into it in about the same amount of time.

I used to have a mostly blank placeholder Facebook account way back when, solely because it was necessary to be able to read some stuff online, but it got terminated when they decided you had to use your real name on it... they wouldn't let me start a new account with the same email address and I wasn't about to bother getting a new email address just to set up an account I was never going to use anyway.

Remove ads