Which story hours do you wish you could read, if only you had the time?

Rune

Once A Fool
I'm not asking which ones you do read, but which ones you think you should. We all know that none of us has enough time to read all of the great story hours here. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen or two stories (which I'll list later) that I keep telling myself that I'll have to get to someday.

And I will, someday.

So, let's have them. Which story hours don't you read, that you definately would if you had time to? What factors make them inaccessible to you, right now? Are they too long, did they start at the wrong time? Have you just not noticed them when you do have free time?

If you haven't read them, how do you know you want to read them, anyway?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Well, the easy answer is, all of them. But to be more precise:

Nemmerle-- One of my fellow players swears by this one. Nothing's really holding me back... but then nothing's holding nemmerle back from mine, either. I keep waiting for him to show up. :) I suspect that it's just time. If I end up here in the forum, I end up either browsing the regulars or finding myself inspired to start plinking away at my own story, and I never wander in. This would be the top of my list as it is the only one that I want to read that I can't recall taking the slightest peek at. It's crazy.

Sagiro-- I'm put off by its enormity, and I mean both its length and its reputation. (Get your minds out of the gutter!) Of course this was true of PCs story hour for a long time too, and eventually I had a long lonely business trip to catch up. I expect I'll get to this one.

Doc Midnite's RttToEE-- Can't read it, cause I want to play through it, but desperately want to.

Posy-- I see Posy so often touted as the antithesis to Wulf. I've checked in from time to time and the quality is certainly there, but I can't say I've followed it long enough to know what's going on. But I should.

Samnell, Old One, Rel-- early adopters of my own story, I owe them more support than I currently give them. I have dipped my toes in from time to time but nothing on the order that they deserve.

I'm sure there are others, but I would have to admit these are the top ones.

Thorntangle

First Post
Sagiro's and Piratecat's - I'm daunted by hugeness of the stories at this point.

Nemmerle's as well. I feel it would be a huge catch up effort and I have a ravaged attention span. Can anybody spare me some Ritalin?

I try to emulate the heroic efforts of Horacio and his ravenous Story Hour appetite, but I'm only human and he is some sort of supernatural freak with storyhour absorptive abilities. And I mean that in the best, most jealous way possible.

TheMentat

First Post
Nemmerle- I've started on it... but its just huge... it does seem as if it will be good though... a very very large ammount of good

Wulf Ratbane said:
Sagiro-- I'm put off by its enormity, and I mean both its length and its reputation. (Get your minds out of the gutter!) Of course this was true of PCs story hour for a long time too, and eventually I had a long lonely business trip to catch up. I expect I'll get to this one.

Wulf, I feel that I owe you something for the divine dwarven wisdom you have given us. And so I will start on my hours of debt that I owe you by saying that you absolutely MUST read Sagiro's. It is, in my most humble of opinions, the best story hour out there... Excluding yours of course oh great Dwarf of Wisdom.
Its size quickly turns from an obstacle to a virtue, as I've found to be true of many story hours.

Rune

Once A Fool
Wulf Ratbane said:
Well, the easy answer is, all of them. But to be more precise:

Nemmerle-- One of my fellow players swears by this one. Nothing's really holding me back... but then nothing's holding nemmerle back from mine, either. I keep waiting for him to show up. :) I suspect that it's just time. If I end up here in the forum, I end up either browsing the regulars or finding myself inspired to start plinking away at my own story, and I never wander in. This would be the top of my list as it is the only one that I want to read that I can't recall taking the slightest peek at. It's crazy.

I started reading Nemmerle's recently. And, every now and then, when I get the chance, I read a little more. It's incredibly good and has a great feel of history behind it, not to mention very well detailed characters. It's great, but I find that it is so dense (in a good way) that I can't read it quickly, no matter how hard I try. I have a long way to go, yet, before I catch up. I would certainly include this in my own list.

Doc Midnite's RttToEE-- Can't read it, cause I want to play through it, but desperately want to.

I'm in the same unfortunate situation.

Posy-- I see Posy so often touted as the antithesis to Wulf. I've checked in from time to time and the quality is certainly there, but I can't say I've followed it long enough to know what's going on. But I should.

I keep meaning to get to this one, too. I never see it when I have free time, for some reason.

Samnell, Old One, Rel-- early adopters of my own story, I owe them more support than I currently give them. I have dipped my toes in from time to time but nothing on the order that they deserve.

Samnell's is great, Wulf. He writes from the point of view of Meepo (from "The Sunless Citadell" and with a sense of humor clearly inspired by your own style of writing. Give it a look.

I keep meaning to read Old One's Faded Glory and Rel's adaptation of the same. I really do. Somehow, I combine them in my mind into one big story and the size of that is just too daunting. I'll get to it. I will.

I also hear great things about KidCharlemagne's story. It'll happen, one day.

Originally posted by TheMentat
Wulf, I feel that I owe you something for the divine dwarven wisdom you have given us. And so I will start on my hours of debt that I owe you by saying that you absolutely MUST read Sagiro's. It is, in my most humble of opinions, the best story hour out there... Excluding yours of course oh great Dwarf of Wisdom.
Its size quickly turns from an obstacle to a virtue, as I've found to be true of many story hours.

I agree completely. Sagiro may not have Piratecat's phenominal ability to make up incredibly flavorful stuff on the fly, but he makes it all up with mountains of preperation. And we get to read about it from the very beginning. It is, without a doubt, the best story arc I've seen on these boards. Go read it, now, all of you.

For what it's worth, Piratecat and Sagiro are the two DMs I steal from the most!

There are other great story hours that I only have time to read casually, but they don't make this list!

Here's an idea for you: every time you sit down to read a few story hours, try making a habit of reading one new one.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
WULF!!!

Mr. Ratbane squeaked:
Nemmerle-- One of my fellow players swears by this one. Nothing's really holding me back... but then nothing's holding nemmerle back from mine, either. I keep waiting for him to show up. I suspect that it's just time. If I end up here in the forum, I end up either browsing the regulars or finding myself inspired to start plinking away at my own story, and I never wander in. This would be the top of my list as it is the only one that I want to read that I can't recall taking the slightest peek at. It's crazy.

The great thing about this is that when I saw the question and immediately began to formulate an answer Wulf’s was at the top of it. . . For those of you who are intimidated by its length and density I would recommend downloading the .doc version from my website and printing out portions to read at your leisure. Do you have such a version of yours, Wulf? Also, you seem to have couple of different ones, or am I misinformed? Grant me wisdom, Wulf. . . Oh, and who is the player who swears by “Out of the Frying Pan”?

I have sadly fallen way behind on both Sagiro’s and Old One’s which I followed closely. The problem is that once I fall more than 3 installments behind I need to cut and paste and print it out b/c my eyes can’t handle reading something of length on the computer.

But, Wulf – if you want I have a .do version of Sagiro’s I made myself that I could mail you – or upload to my server so you can DL it and read it at your leisure – that is what I did.

Samnell

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:

Aw, you're going to make Meepo blush, Wulf. Then he would have to kill you. :)

One of these days, I'm actually going to update it too. Probably about the same time these CR 10 teachers stop peppering me with their paper attacks.

Samnell

Explorer
Rune said:
Samnell's is great, Wulf.

"Samnell is not great. Samnell only stupid human. Meepo tell him what write. Meepo also tell him when eat and when go off into bushes by himself. Meepo have tell Samnell everything."

Rune

Once A Fool
Samnell said:

"Samnell is not great. Samnell only stupid human. Meepo tell him what write. Meepo also tell him when eat and when go off into bushes by himself. Meepo have tell Samnell everything."

Of course! Many apologies! Rune not make nice to Meepo! Meepo make not nice Rune!:eek:

Chesspiece

Explorer
From the depths of time...

Okay, this might be a little off base but I'd have to say (contact). His stuff got me hooked on the Storyhours before I knew how much other great stuff was out there.

If I had the time right now, I'd go and re-read his stuff from the start. Jespo is probably my fave character that I have ever seen on the boards.

(contact) said "The Liberators will be taking a short hiatus..." SHORT MY ASSIMAR! That was freakin' January! (contact) come back, I need you! [begins to weep]

Remove ads