Which story hours do you wish you could read, if only you had the time?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
(contact) said:
I do still have a copy of the .doc. It's 491k, and ends with this sentance: "Unburdened by conscience, Wulf stalked among the scattered, frightened young, slaughtering them to the last."

So what I'm saying is, you don't actually have to read the thing-- if you read the last sentance, you have understood the whole of it.

It's very Zen.

That's friggin brilliant!

Ahhh... You could have saved us all so much time.

Wulf

Rune

Once A Fool
hee hee hee

(contact) said:
I do still have a copy of the .doc. It's 491k, and ends with this sentance: "Unburdened by conscience, Wulf stalked among the scattered, frightened young, slaughtering them to the last."

So what I'm saying is, you don't actually have to read the thing-- if you read the last sentance, you have understood the whole of it.

You know, now that you mention it...

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I keep meaning to read the Boston ENBoarders' Feng Shui game. There are a lot of people I think are great gamers playing, but the style puts me off some. I prefer a more novel-esque style to my story hours.

Actually, I don't read very many. Started with P-Cat's (hey, it had the most views,) and moved from there to Sagiro's because of all the cross-player conversation about it (and haven't regretted it once.)

Just a couple weeks ago, I got hooked on Wulf's. One afternoon I got off early from work and figured, "hey, 16,000 views can't be wrong!" They weren't. My only complaint is that, unlike P-Cat's and Sagiro's, Wulf's story hour is relatively short. Only took me a few days to get caught up. :D

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
My only complaint is that, unlike P-Cat's and Sagiro's, Wulf's story hour is relatively short. Only took me a few days to get caught up. :D

I just think it's an easier read. Dialogue helps out a lot; the "text density" is user-friendly. I'd like to officially pretend that's my Technical Writing background at work. (Whatever.)

In the timeless words of one reader, "I like it cause it doesn't use a lot of big words."

Uhhhh... thanks?

Wulf

Rel

Liquid Awesome
First of all, I'm flattered that I even made the "to do" list of some of the people posting in this thread. And on that note, I'll say this: I just recently started my first "sequel thread" for my Story Hour. At the beginning, there is a campaign summary where you can get caught up on my Story Hour in just one post and proceed from there with my (sometimes too infrequent) updates. But enough about me.

I truly wish that I had time to read all the story hours that I would like to because there is some excellent writing on these boards. But I don't. So the way I select the ones to read is I read some that are just hugely popular (Old One's, Wulf's, Piratecat's and Sagiro's) and a few that I think don't get the attention they deserve (like Broccoli Head's and Milo Windby's for example).

But there are several that I haven't found the time to bite into and I don't dare because I fear that their excellence would entrap me when I really do have stuff I need to get done. Most notable among these are Rune's, Nemmerle's, Kid Charlemagne's and Zad's (gotta love the "Savage Sword of Meepo").

There is a bit of light at the end of this tunnel though. In a few months, I'm going to wrap up my current campaign (or at least put it on hiatus) and let one of the other people in my gaming group take the reigns for a while. That should free up some time for extra Story Hour reading.

Rune

Once A Fool
Rel said:

But there are several that I haven't found the time to bite into and I don't dare because I fear that their excellence would entrap me when I really do have stuff I need to get done. Most notable among these are Rune's, Nemmerle's, Kid Charlemagne's and Zad's (gotta love the "Savage Sword of Meepo").

I'm flattered! But I am also currious...what recommendation are you going on for these story hours, if you haven't bitten into them?

In the case of mine, is it just my excessive pimping of it/them?

Speaking of which, The Runic Cthulhu Hour: Something wrong in a small town college is only one session long (it was a one-shot that probably won't be updated often); the second page is entirely irrelevant to the story! ;)

Er, back to the topic, though!

I agree with you that Broccli-head and Milo Windby's stories (Tokiwong's and Solid Snake's too, among others!) are underappreciated, but I read them, at least infrequently, so they aren't on my list.

That's another topic (which I've done a couple of times in the past!).

Dr. Midnight's Silver Quill story is another one that should be on my list. I really have no excuse not to have checked it out, but it's length is kind of intimidating.

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Not because I'm a plug-whore, but just because you can't find the Silver Quill story on the ENboards anymore (except for the later adventures), I'm just puttin' up a link to the whole story:
www.rigaming.com/kotsq
Thank you for your patronage. cough.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Rune said:
I'm flattered! But I am also currious...what recommendation are you going on for these story hours, if you haven't bitten into them?

In the case of mine, is it just my excessive pimping of it/them?

Well, your pimping doesn't hurt :D .

Just because I haven't "bitten" doesn't mean that I haven't opened them for a little "taste". Especially in the case of yourself and Nemmerle, I have read a few of the early posts and liked the writing style. On those occasions, time constraints (I mostly read Story Hours during my lunch hour) kept me from getting completely hooked and my tiny bit of self-discipline has kept me away since then.

For now, I figure I should at least try to constrain myself to only a half-dozen or so SH's. Every minute I'm reading and posting to them is a minute that I'm not working on my own campaign or writing up my own Story Hour (which I'm rather behind on at the moment). That doesn't even count the time I try to block out to spend with my wife and 9 month old daughter.

Maybe you guys could tone it down a bit in the "excellence" department so I wouldn't be so tempted? I didn't think so. Oh well, I'll read em' someday.

Rune

Once A Fool
Dr Midnight said:
Not because I'm a plug-whore, but just because you can't find the Silver Quill story on the ENboards anymore (except for the later adventures), I'm just puttin' up a link to the whole story:
www.rigaming.com/kotsq
Thank you for your patronage. cough.

Thanks for the link, Dr. Midnight!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
It is funny the stuff you find when you go trolling around the misty origins of this version of the boards. . . ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to see what people, uh. .. about five years later, wishes they could read.

For my part, I have both Jon Potter's The Grey Companions and Morrow's Freeport series on my list. I have sampled them both and as soon as I have a break in the mid-summer from grad school I plan to give them a good read.

Oh, also I would love to start Old One's Faded Glory story hour from the beginning again - but alas! The beginning is gone and I when I try starting from where is available I get all sad, b/c I started it originally and never got as far as the "new" beginning - so feel like I am missing too much.

Remove ads