Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Revisited, OOC01

Leif

Adventurer
KerlanRayne said:
So, is everything changed from the last game? No more free feats like Collegiate Wizard? What about crafting XP?
KerlanRayne
Good question! I hadn't even thought about that. Ok, everyone still has Collegiate Wizard as a free feat, but other feats will be handled as per ph. Which means that everyone now has summon familiar instead of craft wand/whatever.

No excess xp for crafting at the start.

Leif

Adventurer
I have just been corrected in another thread about Summon Familiar. It is NOT a feat, but just a regular class feature for Wizards and Sorcerers. Hmmm, still not really sure that I totally grok the exact difference there, but, whatever. Anyway, the way that I hope this game shapes up will be that we have a much broader range of capabilities in the party, thanks to multiclassing, and that will make the party more self-sufficient and capable of handling a wider variety of really sneaky, devious challenges. hehehe. Kudos to Mowgli on figuring out a way around my new, more restrictive spellbook ruling, namely, buying lots of scrolls. Since I'm giving you the Collegiate Wizard feat as a free bonus feat, just a little bit of judicious allocation of skill points plus that feat should give you almost a lock on making the Spellcraft rolls to learn spells from scrolls. But that will need to be done once the game starts, of course, and links provided to invisible castle to substantiate your success on the rolls. I'm thinking now of starting out by running a published adventure. I have one that is supposed to take a party from 4th level all the way to 8th or 9th level, and that sounds just like what we need. The only thing is that I'm not sure I can become familiar enough with it by Saturday to run it. Hopefully, I'll be enough so to at least make a start, and, also hopefully, most of you will have other stuff to take care of around the academy for at least a little while.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Leif said:
Hmmm, still not really sure that I totally grok the exact difference there, but, whatever.

Ten 'Brownie' points to you for using the word grok correctly in a sentence. Of course, humans (raised on Earth, at least) are incapable of groking, so we won't hold it against you that you fall a little short. :D

(I'm not sure there is a difference, other than if it were a feat it would be available to more classes - such as any class capable of casting arcane spells, etc.)

Leif

Adventurer
Mowgli said:
Ten 'Brownie' points to you for using the word grok correctly in a sentence. Of course, humans (raised on Earth, at least) are incapable of groking, so we won't hold it against you that you fall a little short. :D

(I'm not sure there is a difference, other than if it were a feat it would be available to more classes - such as any class capable of casting arcane spells, etc.)
That must be it, thanks! Hmm, Brownie Points from a brownie.... There's something a WEE bit odd about that, I think.

Scotley

Hero
Given the pacing of play by post games I really don't think it will be necessary to fully grok a published adventure to get it started. You'll have plenty of time for that later as long as you understand enough to get the players hooked and so that you don't give our any false or inside information.

Leif

Adventurer
That's what I'm going for. I'm not trying to memorize the thing, but it is a very involved adventure that has lots of npcs in a town setting, so any of them may interact with the pcs at any time, so I need to at least have a working knowledge of them all, and how they relate to each other. I made progress last night, but I wasn't able to do as much as I hoped. I got conned into making an appt with a chiropractor for this evening, but I'm thinking now that I might just call and cancel it. Flippin' witch doctors! -- It's officially canceled now.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Okay, I don't feel so bad now. We only have 3 characters in the RG, and two of them are labeled as "works in progress." Looks like our "house elf," or Brownie, is the only one who is ready, and that includes me. I notice that no one so far has chosen to take advantage of levels in another class, too. By that ruling, I was hoping to attract some melee class levels, at least a couple, and maybe a level here and there of cleric or bard to provide a little bit of healing. Tell you what let's do: let's postpone the start for a week, and I'll try to round up a little more interest in the recruiting thread........

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Fixed Hit Points

Take note that we'll be using the fixed hp rule on p. 199 DMG. Make the approporiate adjusments to your characters, please. Also standard money and magic for 4th level.

Remove ads