• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whistle blower says non-human bodies recovered from crash

Sacrosanct

Legend
Why? If they are truly alien, we can't know what they might do. And if they are psychologically like us, they wouldn't necessarily think of us as "lesser" beings.

If aliens can travel between stars or dimensions, there is nothing our little rock can offer them that they can't get in more abundance elsewhere -- except culture. Except us. They aren't going to strip mine our planet or enslave us. There's no motivation to do so for an advanced species. Their only possible interest in us is what we are -- moderately smart monkeys that likely represent their own ancient history in some way.
Because it is the nature of creatures to exploit/hunt/use those less than themselves. Not limited to humans. The right question, is "Why wouldn't they?" I mean, if they are going to spend the energy to visit us in the first place (rather than completely ignore our insignificance), there needs to be a reason for that. And when a creature is motivated to seek out another creature less than itself, how often does that work for the benefit of lesser creature? Especially when that lesser creature is violent, unpredictable, and self-destructive like humans are?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Because it is the nature of creatures to exploit/hunt/use those less than themselves. Not limited to humans. The right question, is "Why wouldn't they?" I mean, if they are going to spend the energy to visit us in the first place (rather than completely ignore our insignificance), there needs to be a reason for that. And when a creature is motivated to seek out another creature less than itself, how often does that work for the benefit of lesser creature? Especially when that lesser creature is violent, unpredictable, and self-destructive like humans are?
Emphasis mine.

Exactly. A reason. That reason can't be exploitation. It's completely nonsensical. So it has to be something else. And the only unique thing Earth offers is human culture and civilization. (I mean, sure, maybe they are here for the whales or octopodes or whatever, but that's even more farfetched).

Also, it is reductive and inaccurate to paint all cross cultural human contact as exploitative and violent.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I desperately want this to be true because it is the most optimistic thing i can imagine: sacks of meat from some other mudball managed to get their crap together well enough to not destroy themselves and go out and explore the cosmos. That means maybe we could manage it too.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
If Star Trek ever happens, I'm pretty sure the Vulcans would skim our Internet for ten minutes and give the whole planet a miss.

"Fascinating," T'Pau would say. "They have constructed an advanced planet-wide computer network, but they mostly use it to photograph their genitals and yell at each other."

"Ah well, it was worth checking," replies Soval. "As a species, they show a lot of promise."

"But do they, though?" T'Pau raises his left eyebrow sharply. "Do they really?"

"Perhaps in another hundred years," Solkar says, engaging the warp drive. "This 'alien intelligence' thing takes forever to develop in humans."

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I don't think human interactions have appreciably changed in 10000 years of civilization, and don't expect them to into the future. We just keep developing more diverse and interesting ways to love and hate one another.

One of the most important lessons of Star Trek is that terran members of Starfleet are still unequivocally human, with all that implies, and they STILL manage to create a better universe for one another.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads