• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whistle blower says non-human bodies recovered from crash

Ryujin

Legend
Because of the scale of the universe, I feel convinced that the probability of many inhabited planets must be close to 100%.
And because of the scale of the universe, I feel the probability of any one intelligent species getting any form of contact with another is probably close to 0%.

(Surely intelligent species learning of each other must happen somewhere in the universe at some point. But the chance that we will be one of the very few this happens to is probably really low.)
The "ancient aliens" types get around the probabilities by claiming that aliens created us. They use this theory to manufacture evidence, which they then flip around and use as proof of their theory.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
There's a standard I like to apply when evaluation claims that are outrageous: if this guy used the same evidence to prove the existence of Atlantis, would it convince me?

"I have documents, but I can't show them to you. Also, someone trustworthy told me about it. Trust me."

Not enough for me, I'm afraid.
There is a bit of a difference here. He is saying he can't tell them in an unclassified hearing. He also told them this under oath. Whether he is right about what he saw is entirely debatable, but it isn't like he's just the "Aliens" meme guy. There are very real consequences if he is just blowing smoke.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Because of the scale of the universe, I feel convinced that the probability of many inhabited planets must be close to 100%.
And because of the scale of the universe, I feel the probability of any one intelligent species getting any form of contact with another is probably close to 0%.
Pretty much. Also, we shouldn't want to see aliens. Speaking of probabilities, it's more probable they'd treat us like we treat other lesser beings. And that wouldn't work out so well for us.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Pretty much. Also, we shouldn't want to see aliens. Speaking of probabilities, it's more probable they'd treat us like we treat other lesser beings. And that wouldn't work out so well for us.
Why? If they are truly alien, we can't know what they might do. And if they are psychologically like us, they wouldn't necessarily think of us as "lesser" beings.

If aliens can travel between stars or dimensions, there is nothing our little rock can offer them that they can't get in more abundance elsewhere -- except culture. Except us. They aren't going to strip mine our planet or enslave us. There's no motivation to do so for an advanced species. Their only possible interest in us is what we are -- moderately smart monkeys that likely represent their own ancient history in some way.

Remove ads