• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whoa... New Tripped Out WoTC Home Page...

[MENTION=23977]Scribble[/MENTION]: Yes because of prior knowledge and/or nostalgia, to someone coming in fresh to DnD old edition art is just child like.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Back! Back foul art from the Eighties! Your era has passed into myth and legend, retreat from whence you came, back to the leg warmers and parachute pants!

Renders fine on my firefox. I like where it seems they were headed with the re-design (aside from the ugly art), but I feel they missed their target. The toolbox is good in theory, but the implementation is just... meh.

I'll give it a more thorough examination when the bad art is expelled back into the past.

McFluff

First Post
I'm actually loving the throwback design mentality they've been using to promote the release of the red box. The retro character sheets on the orange paper with the old school art are rockin' and so is this front page. It's funny though, and a testament to my changing tastes (I guess), but the art TSR used in the 80s and 90s was one of the reasons I never got into the early editions of the game as a kid. But I don't want to be an elf with bad 80s hair! But now... I can't get enough. Now all we need is a few more handlebar mustachios.

But I digress. Great job Wizards. Good looking site.

Scribble

First Post
[MENTION=23977]Scribble[/MENTION]: Yes because of prior knowledge and/or nostalgia, to someone coming in fresh to DnD old edition art is just child like.

I started after 1st edition though... So I don't know if I'd call it nostalgia.

But that's part of the point. Childlike isn't bad- especially in a game that's based on one's imagination...

Childlike doesn't try to take itself too seriously. It just tried to have fun.

Killin stuff and lootin the bodies!

Back! Back foul art from the Eighties! Your era has passed into myth and legend, retreat from whence you came, back to the leg warmers and parachute pants!

Yeah... the 80s are LONG gone... err wait...

Went shopping with my wife the other day while she was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding we're going to... Half the dresses in there were staight out of the 80s. :p

darjr

I crit!
oops, spoke to soon.

In Chrome 6 beta I can't login. The javascript for the popup for the username/password ... doesn't pop up.

Looks OK in firefox 3.6.8, safari 5.0.1, and i.e. 8.

Also if you try and click on something while the page is loading, if your fast enough, the page stops loading and is all jumbled up.

mkill

Adventurer
Firefox 3.6.8 on Mac here and the page looks fine. It's too wide for my tastes by that's it.
The problem may be an adblocker or an outdated Firefox.

One problem I always have with the Wizards homepage is that the page is much to massive for the iPhone. It's completely unusable in Mobile Safari and barely loads in Opera. Grrr. Their huge and superfluous background images are part of the problem. Seriously, webpage wallpapers are so 1999. Only dinosaurs still have them (and enworld).

McFluff

First Post
Yeah... the 80s are LONG gone... err wait...

Went shopping with my wife the other day while she was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding we're going to... Half the dresses in there were staight out of the 80s. :p

My wife, who works in the fashion industry, was telling me that a lot of the major designers are starting to use Elaine Benes from early Seinfeld episodes as inspiration for their designs. Something tells me the 80s are here to stay. At least for a while. Sorry for the derail. Just thought it was interesting.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
now I can't recreate any of that and I'm auto logged in, in chrome.

Makes me wonder if the night elves are hard at work..... poor little guys.

Last edited:

Remove ads