D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Who is still playing 4E? I'd to know if there are any resources out there that aren't connected to DnD Insider. My group has been playing 5E since release, but we find the system lacking in quality tactical combat. I'm hoping for constructive commentary. Thanks!
I like the Complete 4th pdfs; I don't use DDI, so it's great having an all-errata-included set of references, and I like most of the rules tweaks they make to the game. The only downside is that they don't include monsters or the E-classes.

I would love to say I'm "still" playing 4e--the sad fact is that I'm stuck simply trying to FIND 4e games to play in!
Still playing on one game, and I gotta pray for my DM's health cause I doubt 'nother one will happen anytime soon. Wanted to run a game, but I need to find both the time and enough players. Maybe something via roll20 someday when my situation settles...
I'm in somewhat of a transitory position myself -- just graduated with degree #2, and looking for a job -- but I've been itching to game for more than a year! I can run one online as soon as I familiarize myself with a virtual tabletop -- and I've heard good things about Roll20.

I would love to run online but I live in a country that was ranked as having the second-lower internet speeds in the region with only Afghanistan having lower speeds.

And that's based on the official speeds.

In reality, Afghanistan is faster.
Ugh, that bites, Scrivener! Can you at least be a player if someone with a faster connection runs the game?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I like the Complete 4th pdfs; I don't use DDI, so it's great having an all-errata-included set of references, and I like most of the rules tweaks they make to the game. The only downside is that they don't include monsters or the E-classes.

Interesting. I wonder if it includes my only "pet fix/tweak" for 4e--that is, giving "regular" Paladins the ability to pick up the Cavalier's Call Celestial Steed utility.

I'm in somewhat of a transitory position myself -- just graduated with degree #2, and looking for a job -- but I've been itching to game for more than a year! I can run one online as soon as I familiarize myself with a virtual tabletop -- and I've heard good things about Roll20.

Grats on your graduation! And yeah, I've been itching for at least that long, for 4e, and have unfortunately been without any game at all for about six months (when my DW game went on hiatus).

If you find Roll20 is to your liking, I'd definitely love to hear from you!

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin

Ugh, that bites, Scrivener! Can you at least be a player if someone with a faster connection runs the game?

I need like a month to get fully installed into the new gig, and when the time is right I might only be able to spare weekend nights. But we all should be able to get a group rolling, rotating DMing duty and stuff.

Tallifer

Hero
I have run a 4th edition campaign in Eberron for the past year and a half using Google+ and Twiddla: the party is approaching 6th level soon. I just started up another campiagn on the tabletop for a group of young colleagues from work.

I prefer 4th Edition because I know the rules; I have the on-line Character Builder; I like the transparent nature of the mechanics and the versatility of refluffing especially when it comes to monsters.

To deal with slow combat, I use no grid, encourage improvisation, adjust damage and hitpoints to speed up things and generally run only one or two fights per session.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
I like the Complete 4th pdfs; I don't use DDI, so it's great having an all-errata-included set of references, and I like most of the rules tweaks they make to the game. The only downside is that they don't include monsters or the E-classes

I also used the Complete 4th material - great resource. Actually built a script to format it all according to the 4th Edition look and feel and then added all descriptive text, E-classes data and graphics so they all feel like real 4th Edition books. However, so far I have only managed to cover Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue compendiums (basically all the classes we are currently using in my game).

/Myrhdraak

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm still playing 4th edition - at least in theory. For some reason or other our game has been on hiatus for over half a year now. I'm starting to suspect our campaign is actually dead :(

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I'm still playing 4th edition - at least in theory. For some reason or other our game has been on hiatus for over half a year now. I'm starting to suspect our campaign is actually dead :(

That happened to me for a while, too, aided and abetted by our geographical separation. But keep at it: 4E is too good a game to let it die! :)

(And thank God for Skype.)

So. After a lot of rooting around and some play testing, my group and I have adopted the following house rules:

Advantage/disadvantage as in 5e in place of attack modifiers (like marking penalty).
All attack encounter powers are reliable unless they have a miss effect.
All ongoing is "rider" damage as in 5e. Take it once and done.
On the DM side, I lowered hp and increased damage output.

My players and I are pleased to find the pace FASTER than 5e, more tactically exciting and engaging, and so much more flavor. DM side, my job is so much easier.

Anyone else have 4e hacks that have helped the game?
Anyone working in a 4e conversion to PoA?

Remove ads