Whose Enjoyment Matters Most?

Who deserves priority when it comes to game enjoyment?

• The GM

Votes: 22 4.9%
  • The Players

Votes: 50 11.2%
  • Everyone Equally

Votes: 338 76.0%
  • Me

Votes: 35 7.9%

DragonLancer

Adventurer
jgbrowning said:
I have to say the GMs. If a single player is unhappy, it may not effect the whole game, but if a GM is unhappy, it certainly will.

However, making sure everyone is happy should be everyone's goal.

Right or wrong in other people's eyes, thats how I feel.

Players are there to have fun, but since the DM has to do the hard work he should be a little way in front on the enjoyment aspect.

Orius

Legend
I'm going to respond before even reading the rest of this thread (or looking at Thayan's pretty pictures... :] ) because there really is only one response that should be considered correct here.

I voted everyone equally. It can't be all about the DM having a good time, because if the players aren't having fun, they're not going to want to play. On the other hand, if the DM isn't having fun, the whole campaign will suffer because he just doesn't care, and doesn't bother putting the work into it. In both cases, a campaign can fall apart pretty quickly.

Me only is definitely what I would consider a wrong answer here. When you get one player who cares about having fun at everyone else's expense, it ruins the entire campaign rather quickly.

Altalazar

First Post
All of the above. If someone isn't having fun, they can be a drain on the atmosphere of the game. So really, for anyone to have fun, probably everyone needs to, because otherwise eventually the game will fall apart or the 'lack of fun' will get contagious as the griping comes in.

scourger

Explorer
In the past, I would have voted "Everyone Equally" without hesitation. But events within the past few years have shown me that the others in my group really value their own enjoyment over that of others or the group, so I now place my own, individual enjoyment as mattering the most to me. I don't think anyone means to be mailcious (although it feels like it at times), but they are sure ready, willing & able to skip or quit a game the second it doesn't do it for them.

It's sad in a way but also liberating. I lament that I probably cannot run many games that interest me because the others won't have it. On the other hand, I don't feel guilty about not running games that are difficult for me to DM but the players love. I would prefer to have a real, committed gaming group; but there it is.

As an example, I had a real quandry about attending last week's session becasue the game really isn't my favorite and events were unfolding in a way that aren't really fun for me. Plus, I was very tired and had some family issues developing. I knew one of the other players wouldn't be there, and I wasn't sure that the other 2 could go on alone. I called the DM and agreed to show anyway. My reasoning wasn't so that the game could go on or that everyone would have fun. Instead, I figure the DM is one of my best, longstanding friends. A friend doesn't bail out for purely selfish reasons. Also, I figure that if I endure the end of the current installment of the current game then something else that I really love to play will come along next (or at least sometime int he future). I had fun despite my misgivings about attending, so there is both short-term and long-term enjoyment for me.

I am glad to see that the vast majority of respondents to the poll value everyone's enjoyment. I wish I had it so good.

MadMaxim

First Post
I voted for everyone equally. This is supposed to be entertaining, and if everyone isn't having fun then something could be wrong (with the exception of those who always complain no matter how you twist and turn it).

Remove ads