• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Knock Someone Prone Anymore?

SDOgre

First Post
One of my players made a dwarven fighter and took the exploit Spinning Sweep. He was excited. It was a tactic he used often in 3E, knocking foes prone.

When we reached our first battle he knocked a kobold prone. When it got up he asked, "Don't I get an Opportunity Attack on it?" He emphasized the correct usage of the free attack.

I looked it up. It doesn't say anything about OAs against targets standing up. So I said no.

He looked at me and said, "Then what good is it?"

I'm here to ask the same question. Could it be that being able to move in combat now is so important that just being knocked prone is enough of a penalty that an AO is overkill? Besides slowing your opponent why would you want to waste an encounter exploit on it?

keterys

First Post
They lose a move action and melee folks gain combat advantage on them, so rogues can sneak attack.

That's useful. It's also quite easy to knock someone prone.

SDOgre

First Post
Ah, combat advantage. I missed that. That is huge. As long as you have someone that can take advantage of it.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Surgoshan

First Post
Yeah, knocking someone prone is still very useful, given the fact that 4e is very, very movement oriented. When you knock someone prone, not only do you give people combat advantage, but you restrict them to either taking a move action, or taking an attack action, or attacking with a -2 penalty and only moving at half speed and remaining prone, or moving full speed and getting a normal attack at the cost of an action point.

No matter what, you've done someone a disservice, plus given your allies an advantage.

Aegir

First Post
In 4e, CA basically replaces flanking: in other words, if you have CA on a monster, you get the "flanking" bonus (+2 to attack) even without flanking.

ravenight

First Post
Also, bear in mind that 4e is about teamwork - knocking someone prone is sweet if everyone else piles into melee on them.

Flanking is still useful too, there are just other ways to get CA.

Kishin

First Post
It's a good way to keep things under a Defender's control and away from the more squishable members of the party.

Also, there really need to be some powers that gain additional benefit when used on prone opponents...

Picturing a Warlord-led kick circle here. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads