• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Knock Someone Prone Anymore?

Cryptos

First Post
In addition to the denial-of-move action and combat advantage benefits, it's fun.

It also seems as though it would be a natural consequence of slamming into people or launching forceful attacks against them, and it's somewhat cinematic in terms of visuals. More so than merely standing around hitting someone with a metal stick. Daze someone, and what happened could be left up to interpretation. It's certainly up to the description or flavor text one provides. Knock someone on their... back... and the effect is a very clear, easy, and dramatic visual.

If a party has a rogue, the controllers, defenders, and even leaders should have "give the rogue combat advantage" on their list of priorities somewhere. If such things are simply left to the rogue himself, he's going to have a much harder time and potentially waste actions and turns to get the advantage... turns where an enemy is still able to cause your party damage.

Rowe

First Post
This is an interpretation my GM used tonight during our campaign

If you look at what is considered a " Move Action " standing up from being prone is considered a move action. Hence forth can have an AOO done against the character that is standing up. The only move action that doesn't not provoke an AOO is Shift, and you cannot Shift while prone.

This is the excerpt out of the book. Page 290

OPPORTUNITY ATTACK: OPPORTUNITY ACTION
✦ Melee Basic Attack: An opportunity attack is a
melee basic attack (page 287).

✦ Moving Provokes: If an enemy leaves a square
adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack
against that enemy. However, you can’t make one
if the enemy shifts or teleports or is forced to move
away by a pull, a push, or a slide.

✦ Ranged and Area Powers Provoke: If an enemy
adjacent to you uses a ranged power or an area
power, you can make an opportunity attack against
that enemy.

✦ One per Combatant’s Turn: You can take only one
opportunity action during another combatant’s turn,
but you can take any number during a round.

✦ Able to Attack: You can’t make an opportunity
attack unless you are able to make a melee basic
attack and you can see your enemy.

✦ Interrupts Target’s Action: An opportunity action
takes place before the target finishes its action.
After the opportunity attack, the creature resumes
its action. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points or
fewer by the opportunity attack, it can’t finish its
action because it’s dead or dying.

✦ Threatening Reach: Some creatures have an ability
called threatening reach. This lets them make opportunity
attacks against nonadjacent enemies. If an enemy
leaves a square that’s within the creature’s reach, or if
an enemy anywhere within the creature’s reach makes
a ranged attack or an area attack, the creature can
make an opportunity attack against that enemy.

In the future, please do not copy and paste quantities of text from illegal pdfs. ~ Piratecat (admin)

I completely disagree with what our DM ruled, but you can argue that getting up from prone is a move action, even though you don't move out of an adjacent square.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otterscrubber

First Post
Kishin said:
It's a good way to keep things under a Defender's control and away from the more squishable members of the party.

Also, there really need to be some powers that gain additional benefit when used on prone opponents...

Picturing a Warlord-led kick circle here. :)

HAHAHAHA, that made me laugh...:)

Alane

First Post
After you knock somebody prone, can they still make opportunity attacks?

To me, it makes sense that you could knock somebody prone, then take a full move action without fearing an AoO. In fact it seems a bit silly that a prone fighter can make AoO's against a standing fighter, but I can't find anything in the rulebook to prohibit it...

- Alane -

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Rowe said:
This is an interpretation my GM used tonight during our campaign

If you look at what is considered a " Move Action " standing up from being prone is considered a move action. Hence forth can have an AOO done against the character that is standing up. The only move action that doesn't not provoke an AOO is Shift, and you cannot Shift while prone.
I completely disagree with what our DM ruled, but you can argue that getting up from prone is a move action, even though you don't move out of an adjacent square.

Your DM is wrong. There is a list in the PHB about Opportunity Attacks and what provokes them, and standing up from prone is not on the list.

Tervin

First Post
Rowe said:
✦ Moving Provokes: If an enemy leaves a square
adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack
against that enemy.

/---/

It is a move action, but it isn't "leaving a square adjacent to you". So, no opportunity attack to be had.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Kishin said:
It's a good way to keep things under a Defender's control and away from the more squishable members of the party.

Also, there really need to be some powers that gain additional benefit when used on prone opponents...

Picturing a Warlord-led kick circle here. :)

I'm a bit peeved there's no "Stomp Him Out" or "Give Him the Boots" warlord power. "Knock them down" ain't enough,

Stomp Him Out Level 9
blahblah Daily Martial Weapon Strength vs AC blahblah
HIT [3W] damage plus your Strength modifier and the target is knocked prone. Each ally within 5 squares of you can move 5 squares and attack the target with a Strength vs Reflex attack that deals 3d6 plus your Charisma modifier damage.
Miss: Half damage and the target is knocked prone.

Prone is what I call a speed condition. It like, restrained, immobilized, and slowed, takes movement away from the foe and keep it form attacking anyone except those near it. Prone is the worst one since they can still charge those within their speed range after getting up. But the other speed condition don't grant CA except restrained which is hard to do.

Tervin said:
It is a move action, but it isn't "leaving a square adjacent to you". So, no opportunity attack to be had.

Agreed.

Not only that, but the rules for Stand Up explicitly cover the case where your square is occupied when you stand up. It explicitly says that if your square is occupied, you can Shift one square as part of the Stand Up. This of course prevents OAs even if you have to move.

Sitara

Explorer
Also, you can knock someone prone, spend an action point, and then attack them again in the same round using the benfit from combat advantage! :D

NorthSaber

First Post
DevoutlyApathetic said:
Knock prone, shift away and they don't get to attack you next turn barring reach.
Can't they still Charge, though? Standard action, move your full speed and attack with a bonus?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads