why orc pc?

rossik

Explorer
i mean, why "yes" for orc pc and "no" for drow pc?

arent both "evil"?

i know we have lots of "drizzt"s outcasts as players, but isnt the orcs suppose to be as evil as drow, but not so inteligent/bright/good looking/organized?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, the 3.x rules have options to play both orcs and drow (though neither appear in the PHB), so I'm not sure I understand the question.

rossik

Explorer
nothing wrong with evil pc.

sorry , i didnt make myself clear.

i dont play 3.x, so i forget to write that my question is actualy pre-3.x

frankthedm

First Post
rossik said:
1. Orcs are more common, thus an exception to their norm is more common. A good orc is more accessible to a party of surface dwelling PCs. A good drow has a long road before ever hitting the surface.
2. The Norm for an orc is still more palatable than the norm for the drow. An orc played over the top is akin to a murderous Jock / Fratboy. The drow is going to be closer to a serial killer / Marquis De Sad
3. Orcs just get STR and brain damage, Drow get a fudge-ton of abilities & anemic HP that may need to be accounted for in adventure design

Eltharon

Explorer
A drow has ECL 2, an orc has ECL 0. That, and an orc isn't terribly different in any way from a half orc, other then being stronger and with less wisdom. Most people will roleplay them the same way, big, dumb, not nice (but not evil either) guys with a gigantic weapon.
Drow, on the other hand, all have to have leather, and long backstories, and either a) Be utterly evil or b) Be a renegade good drow, fleeing from his people with his two scimitars and his panther...

Klaus

First Post
I believe the OP is asking why drow PCs are so reviled whereas orc PCs aren't.

My guess? The heroic orcs of Warcraft III and WoW are far more recent than Drizzt, and far more diversified, so we don't get "Thrawn-clones" in any proportion comparable to "Drizzt-clones".

But maybe it's because drow-pc players crank up the emo dial to 11. We've been getting Gimli-clones and Legolas-clones for 30 and those archetypes aren't as reviled as Drizztites.

rossik said:

arent both "evil"?

i know we have lots of "drizzt"s outcasts as players, but isnt the orcs suppose to be as evil as drow, but not so inteligent/bright/good looking/organized?
Depends on the setting. In Eberron, orcs and drow are not assumed to be evil. Drow are more xenophobic than evil, too. There's nothing wrong with playing a drow that's something to the effect of Mani in Brotherhood of the Wolf.

phindar

First Post
That's funny, I'd be more inclined to play an orc character like Mani from BotW. (In fact, my first 3.0 character was a half-orc ranger/fighter, and Mani was the inspiration.) Neither here nor there, just an interesting coincidence.

Me, I've always liked orcs. I guess I've just always sympathized with the underdogs.

rossik

Explorer
claudio get it right...(whats a "op"?), and frankthedm have a good point on item number3...think i got it, tx

(wuts a ECL ?-sorry, im not a very at acronyms)

Remove ads