• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will 3rd Party (now "4th" party) Companies Thrive like in 3.x OGL?

catsclaw227

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
You are correct. However there was a 'private' list with a gentleman's agreement that was available to the publishers. You'll also note that many of those same publishers are in much different positions today than they were when 3.0 first came out. For instance, the book trade. Not a big consideration back in the day but seems vital for several of the companies in today's world.
Agreed. Dang, I hope they get the ruleset - even an incomplete one - out to a select few publishers. But it's possible that those that receive it, may not even be able to say whether they have or not. It would suck if you were a mid-small publisher that found out that you weren't on the elite list. It might lead to sour grapes and all.

JoeGKushner said:
I mean that if a d20 publisher can't get some value out of the d20 license since there is no more d20 easy to recognize brand, that for many of them, it may be just as profitible to stick with their in-house systems (M&M, Runequest, True 20, Conan, etc...) than try to get a OGL/d20 brand of their own together.
I understand what you mean now. Business As Usual =/= "Look at WOTC screwww the little guy!!", but instead Business As Usual == "I have a line of products that is doing just fine, thank you. :)

Fathead

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
I think you can add a few others as well. Paradigm, Green Ronin, Fantasy Flight Games (though their focus has been boardgames) and even smaller PDF publishers like Phil Reed's Ronin Arts, EN Publishing, and Expeditious Retreat Press.

I wasn't trying to be exclusive. ;) I just listed ones that I've bought from in the past (although Green Ronin would definitely be on that list as well). I loves me some Fantasy Flight Games too (although...I think I've only purchased their board games...which are fantastic).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads