Will magic implements + magic weapons make high level multiclassing unfeasible?

Stalker0

Legend
For example, let's say you have a wizard/fighter multiclass. The wizard gets his extra attack/damage bonus from his magic orb, while his fighter powers need a magic sword. He needs twice the offensive magic items in order to keep his powers competitive, because losing a +4 to attack and damage is a painful loss.

Do you think that will make these kinds of multiclass harder to make successful at high levels....or do you think its simply a matter of the DM putting in different kinds of treasure.

chaotix42

First Post
They might have to sacrifice a high-level trinket or two, but you can gain some nice benefits from the various weapons and implements. Having to invest in two of them doesn't seem so bad to me.

Also, Quick Draw.

thatdarnedbob

First Post
Considering that the prices of magic items still increase exponentially, you can get weapons and implements only marginally less effective for a small fraction of the price. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

v Ninja! v

Victim

First Post
Stalker0 said:
For example, let's say you have a wizard/fighter multiclass. The wizard gets his extra attack/damage bonus from his magic orb, while his fighter powers need a magic sword. He needs twice the offensive magic items in order to keep his powers competitive, because losing a +4 to attack and damage is a painful loss.

Do you think that will make these kinds of multiclass harder to make successful at high levels....or do you think its simply a matter of the DM putting in different kinds of treasure.

No. The price structure makes it pretty easy to buy lower level items, at least for making characters at high levels. If you can buy a top end +X weapon, then buying a vanilla +X implement won't even take 1/2 your free GP. Having an X-1 item would be even cheaper.

Durlok

First Post
I doubt the extra cost will be that crippling, honestly.

Of course, when the Swordmage is published, I figure there's at least a 50-50 chance it'll come along with either a feat, weapon ability, or something else that allows you to use a weapon in place of an implement. Or we'll get it shortly afterward. Admittedly, that's not much help now or if you don't feel like getting more books, even if I'm right...

Kraydak

First Post
The added cost is (quite) bad. The number-of-hands issue is even worse. Unlike Holy Symbols, you need to wield a wizard-type implement. Quickdraw will help (adding even more feats to the cost of MCing), but won't solve the problems.

Jack99

Adventurer
You can use a melee weapon in main hand and the wizard implement in your offhand I believe. That will cost you the use of shield and two-handed weapons though.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Staff wizard -> kensei, Pact Blade rogue -> warlock, Longsword eladrin wizard -> spiral tower... I'm not seeing the problem. Choose the right implement for the job.

Cheers, -- N

chaotix42

First Post
Well, you can stow an item as a minor, and Quick Draw allows you draw an item as part of the action taken to use it.

So, a minor to put your shield away, a standard to cast your spell, and a move to either move or stow your implement so you can draw your shield next round and continue fighting.

MindWanderer

First Post
chaotix42 said:
Well, you can stow an item as a minor, and Quick Draw allows you draw an item as part of the action taken to use it.

So, a minor to put your shield away, a standard to cast your spell, and a move to either move or stow your implement so you can draw your shield next round and continue fighting.
Better to swap out your weapon, IMO, unless it's more important to make AoOs than gain a defense bonus and be able to draw the weapon for free next round.
Nifft said:
Staff wizard -> kensei, Pact Blade rogue -> warlock, Longsword eladrin wizard -> spiral tower... I'm not seeing the problem. Choose the right implement for the job.
What if you're none of those? Like a half-elf paladin/warlock, or an eladrin warlord/wizard? Those should be viable as well.

Is there any way to use an implement for one class for another class's powers? Like a rod for wizard powers, or a holy symbol for warlock powers?

Last edited:

Remove ads