• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will we realistically see a 5e campaign set in Eberron from WOTC?

gweinel

Explorer
I don't think we need one.
Eberron was always about telling your own stories. A storyline adventure don't seem to fit the setting. And it'd be harder to tie in the AL.

As soon as they open up Eberron for the DMs Guild, we'd have all we need. Very little content is needed to update.

What about a different format: Lets say a book containing six autonomous and loosely connected adventures (each adventure would cover two or three levels of gaming) which each of these explore a different Eberron element. One would cover the fantasy noir - investigation, another would cover the corporate-faction-dragonmark, or the exploration of new lands (Xendrik) or even at high levels a far realm (daelkir) adventure. It is not a path, but if someone wants to make one of these stories he can.

Wizard have already said that they are searching new formats of presenting their stories. I think the above-mentioned is something that is different and probably fitting with Eberron.

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
But of course the most important point in all of this is that No... they are never going to do a 5E version of the Eberron Campaign Setting book because literally NOTHING has changed story-wise that we don't already have printed in the 3.5 and 4E versions. There's absolutely no reason for them to re-write two entire books of the exact same information just so they can print them with the 5E logo on them. Not happening. You want the Eberron fluff... head over to DMsGuild and buy the campaign setting book PDFs.

That is a big call that nothing has changed as we have not seen anything for 5e Eberron yet. Your guess may very well be right who knows?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
They have already done some Unearthed Arcana stuff for Eberron, and haven't they said they are looking an a new take on the Artificer? I doubt they would be putting time into that kind of thing if they didn't have some plans to publish it eventually.

delericho

Legend
Does the Curse of Strahd point towards more non-forgotten realms settings? I know Chris Perkins gives hints about the upcoming projects periodically - does anyone remember anything about Eberron (or Dark Sun)?

Yeah, prior to the announcement of CoS, I would have said we're unlikely to see non-FR settings appear. (Indeed, for a long time I expected CoS to see Castle Ravenloft moving to FR. Kinda glad to be wrong about that one.) Now that CoS has shown they do have some plans for at least some other settings, I won't be surprised to see Eberron.

Indeed, IIRC they've mentioned at least one storyline where the PCs have an airship (Cloak? Dagger?), which would be a good fit for Eberron (or Mystara or Spelljammer, of course).

All that said, having run a bit of 5e in Eberron, I'm inclined to agree that 5e isn't all that great a fit for the setting, at least compared with 3e or 4e. The relative lack of magic items, and especially the serious downplaying of magic item creation, does alter the feel of things.

A

amerigoV

I will throw out the opposite sentiment in that I do not think the low magic aspect of 5e will dampen the setting. In reality, 5e should be more detrimental to FR than Eberron.

Eberron is very top down in its magic (and more "realistic" if you will). Eberron's timeframe is akin to post WW1 in our world with mage-tech in place of hard-tech. Magic is big and societal - Lightning Rails, Airships, and weapons of war. After WW1, despite all the technological advances, you could not just walk into the average home and see a bunch of technology. You might get on a train for transport, but you probably were still washing your clothes by hand or with simple aids like a ringer of some sort.

FR is bottom up. Magic items are personal and individual. Very little "societal" technology - only Halruua has flying ships. Yet how many adventures have a farmer give away a +1 sword to chase off some goblins? Its like giving away the Hope Diamond because you were just using it as a paperweight.

The only really thing to work through are the Dragonmarks and the Artificers. I think most of the families stuff could really be rituals and "big magic" that requires the Dragonmarks to complete. The Dragonmarks themselves would provide just temporary powers in normal gameplay (pretty much akin to 3.5). Artificers tend to make temporary magic items which I image would work just fine under 5e.

I've run Eberron using Savage Worlds, which itself is not reliant on magic items to balance the game and it ran very well due to this top-down nature of the setting. It should be fine under 5e.

StrangeFate

Villager
I would dearly love to see 5E Eberron support! My group just finished our long running 4E/Age of Worms-esque game set in Eberron. We made the jump over to 5E and continued on in the world. I dearly love it. I could see the style of 5th meshing quite well with the world. I've seen the Unearthed Arcana articles, but I'd love to see the setting-specific races more fully flushed out and would especially love to see the artificer as a class on it's own right.

gweinel

Explorer
Indeed, IIRC they've mentioned at least one storyline where the PCs have an airship (Cloak? Dagger?), which would be a good fit for Eberron (or Mystara or Spelljammer, of course).

Mmmm... a (spelljamming) airship focused adventure path which starts at Mystara with Princess Ark, goes to Eberron with Lyrandar Golden Dragon and finishes in an astral epic pulp finale...

How i would love a story like that!! :p

Remove ads