• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Willingly Be Sneak Attacked

daBooj

First Post
hitting him with the cold damage should be easily enough done and allowed. Yes, it's taking advantage of an ability, but... that's what you're supose to do with abilities, right? If you know about it, use it however you can to gain the advantage.

As for the sneak attack... I would have your trickster call out to the barb, "Close your eyes!" That would allow the sneak attack. However, I would make the barb roll a concentration check in order to close his eyes. He's raging. He's concentrating on killin' the baddies.

I would not allow him to ask to be hit with a cold blow, that would have to be the idea of the other party members who are still capable of thinking about these things. He should be thinking about reducing whatever he doesn't like to a bloody pulp.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

JoeBlank

Explorer
I guess I never thought about this before, but is sneak attack damage the same type of damage as the base attack? In the case in question, using a cold damage spell, is the sneak attack portion of the damage considered cold damage?

Infiniti2000

First Post
What level is the barbarian? What feats does he have?

Remember that at 2nd level, the barbarian gets uncanny dodge and at 5th level improved uncanny dodge. I don't believe it's going to be easy to get a sneak attack on the barbarian. IMO, he can't just "allow" a critical/sneak attack. If you allow this to occur, you probably need to allow others to get "critted" by cure light wounds, etc., despite the fact that it's not damage.

Whenever a player suggests something along the lines of "Kill me!" then it's an attempt at a rules exploit and an abuse. No question about it. It's good to point things like this out, though, so that we can be prepared for them.

Infiniti2000

First Post
JoeBlank said:
I guess I never thought about this before, but is sneak attack damage the same type of damage as the base attack? In the case in question, using a cold damage spell, is the sneak attack portion of the damage considered cold damage?
Yes.

ARandomGod

First Post
Thanee said:
The biggest 'problem' is not technical, but rather conceptual.

The ability of the frostrager is surely meant to protect him in battle, not be used as a power-up. It could be viewed as an abuse of the ability (tho, that's probably a bit harsh).

Kind of reminds me of the Furies (Ghost comics) where one member (Kinetic) can absorb kinetic energy and become extremely fast that way and the others always shoot her with their assault rifles before combat to charge her up. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Sure, I'd say you could do it. Technically. Conceptually I don't think the GM should allow it anyhow.

irdeggman

First Post
daBooj said:
hitting him with the cold damage should be easily enough done and allowed. Yes, it's taking advantage of an ability, but... that's what you're supose to do with abilities, right? If you know about it, use it however you can to gain the advantage.

As for the sneak attack... I would have your trickster call out to the barb, "Close your eyes!" That would allow the sneak attack. However, I would make the barb roll a concentration check in order to close his eyes. He's raging. He's concentrating on killin' the baddies.

I would not allow him to ask to be hit with a cold blow, that would have to be the idea of the other party members who are still capable of thinking about these things. He should be thinking about reducing whatever he doesn't like to a bloody pulp.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

Except that a barbarian can't use the concentration skill when raging - it is one of the things he is forbidden to do - hence it shouldn't be allowed.

daBooj

First Post
sorry, didn't look up the raw, and have never played one. I knew he took a penalty to it, but didn't realize he was forbidden from any concentration checks. I figured it would be about fair if he had to make a concentration check with a -10 penalty or something do to being in the rage.

DreamChaser

Explorer
I would say that this such a thing would blur the line between friend and foe for the barbarian...he might not have to attack his ally but I don't think that in the height of his rage, he'd be able to let him strike his vitals.

DC

mrtauntaun

First Post
I don't see why a normal pc can not leave themselves open, intentionally, to a sneak attack. However, this would require a certain ammount of self control or restraint. Natural instincts would want to kick in preventing this kind of thing. You would need to be disciplined to overcome it, so a concentration check or savingthrow (as stated in an above post) should certainly be required. I can also see where in a duel someone might do this, to lure an opponent into a false sense of advantage or a trap of some kind.

That being said, a raging barbarian does not posses the discipline to do this, so I would say no, he can not intentionally leave himself open to a sneak attack.

Also, the way the player intends this to work is a blatant attempt to circumvent the rules in his/her favor. I would not allow it, as it is more of a cheat, and really defeats the intent of the ability in this case. Kind of munchkin-ey.

ARandomGod

First Post
mrtauntaun said:
I don't see why a normal pc can not leave themselves open, intentionally, to a sneak attack. However, this would require a certain ammount of self control or restraint.

Obviously I agree that someone can leave themselves open to a sneak attack intentionally. I don't agree that it would *always* require any self control or restraint however.

mrtauntaun said:
Natural instincts would want to kick in preventing this kind of thing. You would need to be disciplined to overcome it, so a concentration check or savingthrow (as stated in an above post) should certainly be required.

This I disagree with. Assuming that *you know* that this is healing you, you'd not only completely allow your friend to touch your tender bits (or most sneak-attackable areas), that's where you'd most want to be touched. If anything you'd have to make a saving throw to not flinch INTO the "attack", as you know and relish the sweet, sweet touch of that cold, cold hand.

mrtauntaun said:
Also, the way the player intends this to work is a blatant attempt to circumvent the rules in his/her favor. I would not allow it, as it is more of a cheat, and really defeats the intent of the ability in this case. Kind of munchkin-ey.

There's the only reason I wouldn't allow it.

Remove ads