Winner Announced! Halfing Haiku contest! [The Hamlet of Thumble]

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Wraith Form said:
Sorry, Ed, but I'm not going to vote "yes" for haikus that don't follow the standard of 5/7/5. I've seen one or two that are pretty funny, but don't adhere to the haiku format.

What is *your* take (and I'm talking only and specifically to Mr. Cha, the one who's giving the module away) on the format rule? Is 5/8/5 acceptable?

I don't know a whole lot about how to judge a haiku, unfortunately. It seemed like a couple of people wanted a haiku contest and a whole bunch of people wanted an NPC contest.

What's strange is that there are a lot of folks now entering the haiku contest, and yet not one entry or even a single post for the NPC contest. :) Granted it is a much more challenging contest (at least in terms of time), I'd think some people here would be interested in a challenge.

Anyhow, I've started two contests to please as many people as possible and I certainly don't want any unhappiness over a contest. So I'd like some help judging. If there isn't enough input from other EN Worlders, I'll have to just base the decision on what I think is amusing or cleverly related to the setting.

Ed Cha said:
I don't know a whole lot about how to judge a haiku, unfortunately. It seemed like a couple of people wanted a haiku contest and a whole bunch of people wanted an NPC contest.

What's strange is that there are a lot of folks now entering the haiku contest, and yet not one entry or even a single post for the NPC contest. :) Granted it is a much more challenging contest (at least in terms of time), I'd think some people here would be interested in a challenge.

Anyhow, I've started two contests to please as many people as possible and I certainly don't want any unhappiness over a contest. So I'd like some help judging. If there isn't enough input from other EN Worlders, I'll have to just base the decision on what I think is amusing or cleverly related to the setting.

As an entrant, I'm obviously biased. ;) That said, I've judged a few contests in my day. If you want a haiku contest, then it should probably follow the rules for constructing them. You've said you're not familiar enough with the form. That's fair. So at that point I'd go with either a) what you like best or b) what shows off the adventure best. (Though you could always advertise for some help judging the written form of haiku if you want to go with that.) :)

Fields follow sunshine
Carrots for supper tonight
Leaventhale slumbers

Voadam

Legend
A haiku is five
Seven five syllables so
Some posted fail form

Some say Haikus should
Refer to seasons subtly
And cherry blossoms

Contest should go to
Either random valid one
Or your favorite

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Well, since I did not post specific rules and pretty much just said, "This is a halfling haiku contest," the winner will be whoever posted an actual haiku... 5/7/5 syllable structure.

Though I appreciate innovation, it seems that a haiku is defined as a 5/7/5 syllable structure poem:

http://www.toyomasu.com/haiku/

http://www.lsi.usp.br/usp/rod/poet/haiku.html

I'll pick and announce the winner on Monday after I return from running games at UberCon (http://www.ubercon.com) in Secaucus, NJ this weekend.

Feel free to post more entries! :)

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
There is still plenty of time to enter the Halfling Haiku contest! Just be sure to follow the 5/7/5 syllable format. Thanks.

Macbeth

First Post
A revised version of my previous (format breaking) entry:

Halflings and hobbits:
close, but legally distinct,
so take that Tolkein

And some all new stuff:

Halflings: they end the
debate among monsters. "Tastes
great and less filling!"

What to do when the
catapult is all out of
ammo? Shoot halfling!

Dark Jezter

First Post
Halflings may not have
countless subraces like elves
but they've got more style. ;)

Three feet thirty pounds
Tiny halfling slays ogre mage
Sneak attack is cool.

Hi mister halfling!
Oops, I did not know you were
Danny deVito

:D

Last edited:

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Cozy Halfling house
Nestled in a round green hill.
Home sweet home at last.

An Orc toothpicker
Diminutive to most eyes
Makes a good short sword!

Peacefull Halfling folk
No adventuring for us
We stay in Thumble.
("We want to stay here" is the alt ending for this one.)

It is no wonder
Halflings always stay at home
Where the roads are paved.

Halflings may never
Wear shoes or boots on their feet
But they sure got soul!

Last edited:

Remove ads