Winner Announced! Halfing Haiku contest! [The Hamlet of Thumble]

maransreth

Explorer
Halflings of the world
Unite under one banner
Thumble is capital.

(Just couldn't find a way to make Thumble the capital and keep it in the spirit of haiku :rolleyes: )

Feathercircle

First Post
Though at present time
I do not wish to enter
Still I query you
Seek you haiku form only?
Or shall tanka be allowed?

Tanka are the other major kind of traditional Japanese poetry... They're supposed to be 31 sylables in a 5-7-5-7-7 form. I like them sometimes when I have a little more to say than I can fit in a haiku but can't quite manage to string several haiku together.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
And the winner is.... Varianor Abroad for:

"Fields follow sunshine
Carrots for supper tonight
Leaventhale slumbers"

There were a lot of good ones, but I think this one sounds like a haiku. It also follows the 5/7/5 structure and relates specifically to the setting.

Varianor Abroad, please send me your mailing information (to: generalatopenworldpressdotcom) and I will ship a copy to you as soon as possible.

Honorable Mention goes to: Macbeth, Voadam, alsih2o, Crothian, Grayhawk, and Bloodsparrow.

Thanks to all those who entered! It was a difficult choice. :)

Grayhawk

First Post
Congratulations, Varianor Abroad! :)

While I wouldn't have minded winning myself, it's good that the book goes to someone else as I bought The Hamlet of Thumble myself about a week ago, due to it's great reviews.

I still haven't read through all of it, but so far I like what I've seen.

Great job Ed Cha!

Ed Cha said:
Varianor Abroad, please send me your mailing information and I will ship a copy to you as soon as possible.

Honorable Mention goes to: Macbeth, Voadam, alsih2o, Crothian, Grayhawk, and Bloodsparrow.

Thanks to all those who entered! It was a difficult choice. :)

Many thanks to Ed Cha for offering up this opportunity. It was a fun idea. Grayhawks' was a most excellent haiku. I would have been pleased to be second place to it. I must also say that I read each and every other entry, and enjoyed them all, particularly the honorable mentions.

The email has already been sent. I look forward to opening it some night with a mug of hot cider. Thanks!

Remove ads