Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dravot

First Post
Game night!

We're currently discussing where in Greyhawk to lay the smack down.

Bolo is home sick, so we're a man down. Get well, my tiny friend! ;)

We're doing some housekeeping - minor odds and ends while we discuss.

Rassilon

First Post
Starting about 2 months ago I started reading this story hour. I have now read every post, from post 1, to the post above.

I am freaking addicted to this story.

Very well done all!

In other news, I've arranged to have your families and pasts erased from all memory: your only obligation now is to play . . . an write about it.

Rassilon.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Rassilon said:
In other news, I've arranged to have your families and pasts erased from all memory: your only obligation now is to play . . . an write about it.

Thanks much for the kind words. One the best parts of ENWorld is being able to share our game and enjoy details of other folks games, as well. It doesn't hurt to have such a great groups of players, either. ;)

Zad may be getting a new story update up today, depending on his workload.

In the meantime, you can peruse our Eberron game. Aethramyr has just posted the first installment over here .

Zad

First Post
Strange Bedfellows - Chapter 3

Strange Bedfellows – Chapter 3
in which Bolo meets an untimely end...

OOC Notes:
Exp is 3,000 for 25th, 2,340 for 26th. Bolo gets only a raspberry.

Loot:
+5 brilliant energy returning trident
Amulet of mighty fists +5
Belt of giant strength +6
+5 large steel shield (gooey)
Daern’s instant fortress

This Week’s Adventure:
With Zinkman eliminated, we cast about for the next problem that would be dealt with. Now that we had all three theerparts available to us, we were inclined to deal with the Shadow King. He, like Chavram, had managed to keep himself below the top spot on our list for years now, and it was time he was dealt with. But while we had the three pieces of the key, we weren’t exactly sure what to do with them.

Research into the subject proved problematic. The divine host had gone to considerable trouble to lock away Therizdun, and exerted just as much influence to expunge any material about the process, lest some troublesome mortals seek to undo what had been done. Indeed one book recovered from The ShadowTaker had some references to the process but they were inconsistent and the entire book disappeared when it was being examined. Certainly whatever protections the gods put in play were still very active.

Dravot sought council from Pelor, but he could offer no guidance. It was a Mystery and he could divulge no information. Aethramyr received the same response from Sehanine, despite the fact that he was apparently chosen as the one to repair this shadowy leak. Aethramyr was shown a vision of a circular doorway of isometril, inscribed with the holy symbols of Pelor, Sehanine, and Heironeous, but little more. In all cases, you could hear the emphasis on the Mystery and with it were subtle hints that we should seek out a divinity who’s purview included such things. It slowly became clear that this information was denied mortals and most especially mages, who’s mind would immediately wander off if you even broached the subject. If discovery were possible, it seemed that Boccob would be the only source.

We were hesitant to investigate further without our full strength, and Bolo had disappeared and seemed to be supervising the regrowth of the Lendores in some intangible way. So instead we focused on something more tangible – the Khel-Hr’dad. The three demon armies had been laying fairly low, but we weren’t going to tolerate them too long in any case. We had some dated information on their locations, and we chose to focus on the group in the Shield Lands. It was an unwelcoming area but there couldn’t be too many armies rampaging around. They might be cloaked from magical vision, but they would still leave a trail, and we would simply investigate the various armies until we found them.

We utilized the druids and other contacts to get a sense of the various armies that were in the Shield Lands, then set out to examine each in turn. (I held the hope that, in person, it wouldn’t take more than a cursory examination to expose a demon army.) There were a number of armies in the Shield Lands (which is hardly unusual) so we teleported close then began using wind walk to investigate each in turn.

Our first sighting was an undead column about three thousand strong. Most of the rags and armory were Ahlyssan but there were other “recruits” in the mix. Some had been professional soldiers while others were just victims. In the rear were some more grossly decayed figures on horseback wearing ornamental armor from the personal guard of Ivid, and bearing standards with a green skull – Kargoth. Clearly this wasn’t our prey, but Dravot was loathe to leave them unmolested, and destroyed the front third of the column in a flash of light before we moved on. In hindsight it may have been wiser to destroy them utterly, though I was advocating ignoring them at the time. I did not want us to draw unwanted attention by destroying them, but at the same time, it’s hard to ignore such a force.

We turned northward and found a battalion of Nyrondese soldiers entrenching themselves in the remains of an old fortress. They had been there for some time, shoring up the old mott and baily defenses in their efforts to repatriate the Shield Lands. The force seemed to be exactly what it was, so we materialized to see if they had seen anything more suspicious. They were alarmed at first naturally but the soldiers who we appeared before quickly relaxed, deciding either we were no threat or were too much of one to be worried about. They shared their knowledge of the area and gave us information on some groups on the march, and we told them of the undead column to their south.

We moved on to the east, and after some time nearly everything died out. Only small game moved around scrub plants and the land seemed to be telling us to leave. Then ahead a treeline appeared and about two-hundred humans guarding it.

Now it wasn’t that they were sloppy guards – they just stood around not acting at all like soldiers. It wasn’t the sloppy way they showed themselves. No, I think was the most telling was their arms – they just sort of flopped around at their sides unused, as if they’d just been pinned on and didn’t really work. We landed a good distance away and I went in for a closer look – Valanthe was more stealthy by far, but I was no slouch, and I knew what I was looking for when it came to armies far more than she. The soldiers seemed to talk a lot about blood, and there was no doubt that we’d found our prey.

Skirting around and over this group we found the main encampment beyond the treeline. There was some kind of old farmhouse that had been twisted to their purpose as well as some ruins with a ritual arrangement of vitaesis crystals. Most of the demons in the area were dretches wearing a human disguise like a loose skin, while the powerful demonspan – Nalfeshnees, Mariliths, and a Balor, were in their natural form but each with a small coral-like stone floating around their head. The Khel-Hr’dad was not visible but was likely in the house.

We made a plan (which consisted of “Let’s get ‘em!”) and attacked. We teleported into the area near where some mariliths were working on the ritual that involved the crystals, and started attacking. While powerful, they really weren’t our primary interest. But with the major demons spread around, we just started attacking one area figuring the others would come soon enough. We loosed some preliminary attacks and as expected, the balor came in first, followed by the explosion of most of the southern wall of the farm house.

The dust cleared and revealed a small but decidedly powerful presence. It was hardly larger than we were but the fear in the other demons was palpable. It was a walking beetle, but half of it was replaced or augmented by clockwork. Scorch believed it was a mezzaloth before it was altered with the touch of Mechanus. It had four arms of its own plus two mechanical tentacles and carried a trident. Part of its carapace broke off from its back and started floating beside it like a shield, dripping ichor as it bobbed.

A voice chimed in everyone’s mind. You would be the servants of the dragons I presume. Your approach was not unexpected. I am Zetitch Halfclock of the Khel-Hr’dad. Obviously you intend us harm. We will reciprocate.

Then to the demons Those that do not attack and attempt to kill them will die by my hand first. Demon armies must have serious morale issues.

Aethramyr and I exchanged looks debating our first target while the others swung into action. One of the vitaesis crystals exploded violently in a manner that could only be Valanthe’s handywork. We weren’t sure what it was doing but it was likely that we’d want to stop it.

Dravot spoke a single, pure word, and with it the nalfeshnees were exiled back to their own plane (and likely blinded, deafened and paralyzed, which put their survival in question.) Scorch tried to imprison the balor but failed.

“So this is the mighty Jonathan. Pathetic,” it sneered. It bought its flaming sword down, and killed Bolo. He was reincarnated in the shape of a dire wombat.

Hm. His information is clearly out of date.

I had put several arrows into one of the mariliths when we first appeared and Valanthe finished her off in a flash of steel. If the other demons were afraid, it wasn’t stopping them for attacking. At least for now. One of them slashed at Aethramyr, who in return cut through her head, two arms, and her tail on the way to leaving a deep gouge in the ground.

I fired at the balor and it tried to implode me, but I was more fortunate than Aethramyr in that regard. Zetitch traced a series of arcane symbols in the air then slowly moved forward. As it did, tentacles lashed out and it killed Bolo, who was reincarnated as a half-fiendish sloth. (Which was good because we all realized we didn’t know what a wombat was.)

The dretch forces numbered around five thousand. They were nothing but nuisances, but there were a lot of them. Scorch’s next incantation released a mass suggestion, and he told the dretches that Zetitch was in fact a disguise and they should attack him. The dretches, being a) stupid and b) disinclined to fight in any case, quickly decided that if it wasn’t really Zetitch, they didn’t have to do what he said, and promptly plopped down and had a discussion on blood. Before doing this however, they first killed Bolo who was reincarnated as a newt.

Dravot used his holy power to drive more of the demons off the plane, and the remaining mariliths all disappeared. I decided to soften up the balor for Aethramyr and drained away some of its strength. As it turned out, it didn’t matter much. Scorch broke out what I am sure is becoming his new favorite, and after humming a short tune, the balor started to dance. In his stepping and shuffling, the balor stepped on the now-newt Bolo, killing him instantly. He was reincarnated as a celestial tuna. There being no water nearby, he just flopped around a lot.

Aethramyr stepped up to the balor, smiling. The balor’s face was twisted in a combination of rage and fear, knowing that his end was at hand, and it would not be glorious. Aethramyr made several swift cuts, and the balor collapsed to the ground, feet still twitching.

Zetitch was quickly finding himself alone. Dravot tried to drain the energy from the demon but the spell bounced off an invisible cage of force protecting the mezzaloth. A part of the ray did reflect on to Bolo, draining him of several levels but not killing him. The force cage did explain why Zetitch was moving so slowly though. Scorch shrugged and disintegrated the cage, leaving him open to attack. The disintegration ray was also partially reflected by the cage before it was destroyed with this ray also hitting Bolo. This time however he was killed outright and was reincarnated as an albatross.

Zetitch was wide open, but showed surprisingly little reaction. I used a dimensional anchor to make sure he didn’t try to leave, while Valanthe began cutting into him from behind. Zetitch’s trident and tentacles ripped into Valanthe and would have killed her outright had she not been so quick. As it was, she was only badly wounded. Dravot and Scorch both drained Zetitch of his power, setting up for the subsequent attacks from Aethramyr, Valanthe and me. A moment later, the first of the Khel-Hr’dad collapsed on the ground, bits of oozing ichor the poisoning the soil.

We nodded each other in satisfaction, then began each assuming looks that varied from horror to disgust. There were still thousands of dretches here and I for one was not in a mood to destroy them. Oh certainly we could have. In fact any one of us could. But it somehow felt… dirty. Luckily there was another way. The vitaesis crystals were powering some kind of magical cloak, and Valanthe had no difficulty in detonating it to the point of uselessness. The cloak gone, the dretches were exposed to all, including the Judges. Waves of Judges quickly rallied to the area and began driving out the verminous demons and soon the area was freed of their presence. During the chaos, one of the Judges mistook Bolo for a dretch, and killed him. He was reincarnated as a vermiscious knid.

The field was ours, and our enemies driven utterly from it. Only questions remained. The first of course is what were the stats on a vermiscious knid. Lacking an answer, we killed Bolo. He was reincarnated as a rast. But while the first of the Khel-Hr’dad was destroyed, we still had no idea why it was here, what it hoped to achieve, and what it’s brethren wanted. If some theories were to be believed, they had gone to a great deal of trouble with the Bargain to be able to walk the Prime without harassment. But we did not know why they would want to.

It is possible however they just wanted to kill Bolo.

LordVyreth

First Post
As the creator of Xetich, I'm eager to hear any and all details about this fight. It sounds like a good one and I'm glad that one of my creations managed to be more threatening than cannon fodder.

dravot

First Post
Zad said:
Strange Bedfellows – Chapter 3
in which Bolo meets an untimely end...

It bought its flaming sword down, and killed Bolo. He was reincarnated in the shape of a dire wombat.

As it did, tentacles lashed out and it killed Bolo, who was reincarnated as a half-fiendish sloth. (Which was good because we all realized we didn’t know what a wombat was.)

Before doing this however, they first killed Bolo who was reincarnated as a newt.

In his stepping and shuffling, the balor stepped on the now-newt Bolo, killing him instantly. He was reincarnated as a celestial tuna. There being no water nearby, he just flopped around a lot.

A part of the ray did reflect on to Bolo, draining him of several levels but not killing him. The disintegration ray was also partially reflected by the cage before it was destroyed with this ray also hitting Bolo. This time however he was killed outright and was reincarnated as an albatross.

During the chaos, one of the Judges mistook Bolo for a dretch, and killed him. He was reincarnated as a vermiscious knid.

Only questions remained. The first of course is what were the stats on a vermiscious knid. Lacking an answer, we killed Bolo. He was reincarnated as a rast.

It is possible however they just wanted to kill Bolo.

"Yay! I'm a llama again!"

Zad

First Post
Ok, lets see what I can recall:

The fight went well for us. We had no real plan, recognizing from the layout of the battelfield and the number of unknowns that there wasn't anything good we could do. We had one big advantage - we were initiating combat. That means we get to buff and they don't, and experience has shown us that is a big advantage.

Zetitch was in the farmhouse. The balor was in the trees, as were assorted lesser mariliths on patrol. Two big mariliths were at the ruins playing ritual games with the crystals. We buff and pop in at the ruins, poking at the mariliths for fun.

Now basically you have three categories of creatures - ignore, borderline, and threat. Dretches were "ignore" as were the nalfeshnees - odds were that they'd get wasted by something without too much trouble, and it turned out to be holy word. Borderline were the smaller mariliths - they also ended up being washed away by an area spell. The threats were Zetitch, the balor, and the two big mariliths.

We didn't know exactly what the crystals were for but they were part of what was keeping the demons hidden from the judges. Lacking that info, we went for a straight fight rather than trying to get them exposed then banished.

The balor did a lot of attempting to TK people and using implosion. Ultimately he didn't do much with either, and of course once he was dancing, he was toast.

Zetitch was moving forward slowly, presumably to avoid outrunning his force cage. An interesting defense but one Scorch took out and we just piled on him. Since we took out most of the other stuff first, he got to face everyone at once. He had lost something on the order of 12 levels and 8 strength as the serious dog pile began. He did a full attack on Valanthe and took her down by about a third of her hit points, but that was the most serious thing he did before he got smacked.

I can't say for sure how many rounds we went - on the order of 5-6 I would think.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Greybar said:
Boy, you don't show up for a game and see what happens to you...

He exaggerates, of course. I only killed Bolo three times. Of course, he wasn't really a Celestial Tuna....more of a Dire Carp, really. ;)

Notes:

The party contacted the following deities during as part of their research:
Olidamarra, Pelor, Ralishaz, Sehanine and Tritherion.

This was not considered unusual.

Four armies were reported as being on the march throughout the Shield Lands: the Nyrond Expeditionary Force, a mercenary company (Kargoth's forces), another mercenary company (the demons) and a paladin cavalry legion from the Theocracy of the Pale, supposedly led by the pontiff himself. The last group was never checked, as they were the furthest away in the party's search pattern.

Dravot refused to leave Kargoth's force unmolested. He dropped a hammer on their force, instantly destroying the first 800 undead infantry. This gave them pause. :)

Aethramyr has built his feat chain to a terrifying efficiency. Evil Outsiders are like lambs to the slaughter to him, and more than one creature suffered a instant-death from one of his criticals. Chaotic Evil Outsiders are a perfect storm of pain.

Valanthe snuck up on Xetich. I had her roll a Hide. She got an 84. She cut him, bad. He retailiated, but her blink ability kept her safe from 3 out of 6 attacks, including one of two criticals. He didn't get a second chance.

The Balor and two senior Mariliths were advanced. For all the good it did them. ;)

The Balor did manage to capture Scorch with Telekinesis and get off a few implosions...but Dravot Greater Dispelled him, removing the TK. Scorch, of course, keeps a Dim Door handy for situations like these, but it got him an additional action back.

For those who are keeping count: Xetich was the weakest of the three.

Last edited:

dravot

First Post
WizarDru said:
He exaggerates, of course. I only killed Bolo three times. Of course, he wasn't really a Celestial Tuna....more of a Dire Carp, really. ;)

Notes:

Dravot refused to leave Kargoth's force unmolested. He dropped a hammer on their force, instantly destroying the first 800 undead infantry. This gave them pause. :)

Sunburst has an insane 80' radius. Quick excel calcs showed me that's 20,000 sqft, roughly, or 800+ 5x5 squares. Gazorch.

WizarDru said:
The Balor did manage to capture Scorch with Telekinesis and get off a few implosions...but Dravot Greater Dispelled him, removing the TK. Scorch, of course, keeps a Dim Door handy for situations like these, but it got him an additional action back.

My big concern was removing the Implosion, not knowing that he could recast it at will. Rescuing Scorch was merely a bonus action. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads