Wizards in leather

Tellerve

I'm assuming also that since you can retrain later after you've figured out which spells you like and take expanded spell book away you can decide which spells stay in your spellbook. Seems neat to me.

Also, someone in another thread mentioned making wands of the spells you sorta like but are likely to get rid of before you get rid of them.

Food for thought.

Tellerve

Ataraxzy

First Post
Action Surge is better. Improved Initiative is about equally good, or at least close. Hellfire Blood is probably better.

Which is not to say it isn't very, very good. :)

I would say that Improved Initiative is the single most important feat for wizards. The ability to go first in the initiative order is of critical importance to a controller, and can make or break a fight.

Cadfan

First Post
I don't think its a must take feat for low level wizards. The wizard in my party gets better protection from hiding behind the fighter, ranger, rogue, and cleric.

It might be a must take by level 10, but that has more to do with the lack of better choices. It will probably change once more feats are released.

Ahglock

First Post
It depends on how the game runs in your campaign if its must have or not. If the defender actually keeps people off the wizard +2 to ac isn't that huge since it doesn't come up that often. If the mage is the first target of all ranged opposition, and people eat AoO to get to the mage, its a must take feat.

I don't have a thematic problem with it, it may seem a bit too must have though in many games and I don't like must have feats.

Ahglock

First Post
I would say that Improved Initiative is the single most important feat for wizards. The ability to go first in the initiative order is of critical importance to a controller, and can make or break a fight.

Yeah, the controller needs to go first in order for them to do there job.

at the heroic level I'd say the must haves are picking up perception some how as a trained skill. And either improved initiative or quick draw.

erik_the_guy

First Post
Yeah, the controller needs to go first in order for them to do there job.

at the heroic level I'd say the must haves are picking up perception some how as a trained skill. And either improved initiative or quick draw.

I was recently ranting that wand wizards are wasting ability points for having high DEX, since their reflex/AC is already determined by their INT. I neglected to think of initiative, so this is a good point.

Kesh

First Post
Jack of All Trades is my favorite feat right now. It's really best for Wisdom or Dexterity based classes, as most of your skills are either Wis or Dex based. That +2 to all non-trained skills really adds up when you've already got a +3 or +4 to those skills, especially if you also get a +2 racial bonus to specific ones.

Remove ads