Wizards in leather

SSquirrel

Explorer
My leather prof has been working well for my wizard, but our party is currently only 3 people. We're adding 2 more characters that my friend and I will be playing as well and after that I may retrain it to something else. Of course, being a Staff user, I'm enjoying my 25 AC at 8th level heh.

I'm still a big fan of my Jack of All Trades and Linguist skills. My wife thought it made sense to allow anyon w/ a +4 Int mod or better to gain 4 languages w/each Linguist feat, so buy it twice and have em all. So I do ;)

It's certainly a nice feat, but not a must have.

My human wizard (level 1) took Impr. Initiative and Language Talent and I didn't miss the +2 AC so far. Also the magic Cloth Armors Rock (flight, insubstancial,...)!

The only disappointment is that heavy Armor is nearly useless for a Wizard .. Hide Armor+Int has nearly the same AC (might even go higher).
At level 30, a wizard in Elderhide +6 with 30 INT (requires starting with 20 and taking Demigod Epic Destiny) will have 5 (EH Base) + 6 (enh) + 10 (IntMod) = 21.

At level 30, a paladin in Godplate +6 will have 14 (WP base) + 6 (enh.) = 20. (Possibly +1 for Paragon Tier feat)

Now if you assume something saner like 18 starting INT and only taking Leather due to not having STR 13, you're down 2 to 19, and 1 more to 18 if you didn't take Demigod. You could get one of those back if you're a staff wizard.

Basically, it's very very close if INT or DEX is a primary or secondary stat for your class. TWF rangers may be better off taking heavy armor feats since they should have the Str and Con to do it anyway. Not sure who else really has only light armor proficiency with no need for INT or DEX offhand.

boolean

Explorer
Not sure who else really has only light armor proficiency with no need for INT or DEX offhand.

Warlocks only get Leather proficiency. Intelligence is a secondary attribute for them, but the benefits aren't that big (+ int mod to damage, or number of squares pushed/teleported, with encounter powers of the appropriate pact).

erik_the_guy

First Post
At level 30, a wizard in Elderhide +6 with 30 INT (requires starting with 20 and taking Demigod Epic Destiny) will have 5 (EH Base) + 6 (enh) + 10 (IntMod) = 21.

At level 30, a paladin in Godplate +6 will have 14 (WP base) + 6 (enh.) = 20. (Possibly +1 for Paragon Tier feat)

Now if you assume something saner like 18 starting INT and only taking Leather due to not having STR 13, you're down 2 to 19, and 1 more to 18 if you didn't take Demigod. You could get one of those back if you're a staff wizard.

Basically, it's very very close if INT or DEX is a primary or secondary stat for your class. TWF rangers may be better off taking heavy armor feats since they should have the Str and Con to do it anyway. Not sure who else really has only light armor proficiency with no need for INT or DEX offhand.

The point is that the defender classes can get "the best AC in the game" without having to worry about min/maxing. The wizard/rogue/ranger can also get these, but they have to max out a stat and usually take a feat or two. When you consider that the defender classes also get much more HP it seems balanced to me.

Atomictophat

First Post
Honestly, I do like the idea of a wizard wearing leather armour, partly because I have just finished reading 'Soul Music' where all the wizards become bikies. The vision of a wizard wearing a body length black leather robe with the words 'BORN TO RUNE' on the back just seems too awesome.

Remove ads