• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General WizKids Announces Unpainted Minis for D&D, Critical Role

New individual-packed unpainted minis available for pre-order

kobolds.png

The Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures line of unpainted miniatures celebrates Dungeons & Dragons 50th anniversary with dual-pack miniatures, one from the modern interpretations of the characters and one from the original editions of the game. The line will include miniatures for dwarves, elves, skeleton knights, kobolds, goblins, and mimics.

Each two-figure pack will retail for $5.99 and is expected for a Q3 2024 release.

90725_imogentemult_upm_1024x1024.png

The Critical Role Unpainted Miniatures line is also expanding with several new entries. These figures are also sold in blister packs with one or two miniatures per pack, depending. This new wave will include Dorian Storm, Orym of the Air Ashari & Fresh Cut Grass (2 minis), Imogen Temult, Ashton Greymoore, Fearne Calloway & Mister (2 minis), and Chetney Pock O’pea & Werewolf (2 minis). The single-mini packs will be available for a retail price of $4.49 while the two-figure packs will be available for $5.99 and is expected for a Q3 2024 release.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Clint_L

Hero
It really says something that I much prefer the look of the classic, more staid miniatures than the cartoony 5e counterparts.

I believe that exact something is "I'm old."
It's art, so there's no right or wrong. You like what you like. I've been collecting for decades and some of those old Ral Parthas are still among my favourites (though they are seriously under scale these days).

My favourite current producers are Reaper and Steamforged. Both of whom do go more towards that cartoony flavour, but I like it fine. I like Wizkids sculpts well enough, especially on their monsters (some of which are fantastic), but their flimsy plastic is a real problem for me, especially on small or medium miniatures, or anything holding a weapon.

Staffan

Legend
Both of whom do go more towards that cartoony flavour, but I like it fine.
I like having somewhat exaggerated features on minis, for the same reason theatre actors wear exaggerated makeup. If you're going to have "realistic" proportions on a 28-32mm miniature, you're not going to be able to see much when it's on the tabletop.

Of course, there's a pretty big difference between "somewhat exaggerated features" and going full chibi.

Clint_L

Hero
I like having somewhat exaggerated features on minis, for the same reason theatre actors wear exaggerated makeup. If you're going to have "realistic" proportions on a 28-32mm miniature, you're not going to be able to see much when it's on the tabletop.

Of course, there's a pretty big difference between "somewhat exaggerated features" and going full chibi.
Though Reaper does do Pathfinder based chibi-style miniatures, if that's your thing. I don't judge!

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I'm very, very irked with Wizkids about their unpainted miniatures lines. They've recently removed the bases from the packs, so now you have to buy them separately (if available). And with these new releases, they've substantially raised prices.

I'm boycotting them. They're low quality anyway, compared to what I get from Reaper, Steamforged, and others, and now it feels like they're trying to gouge me.
Wait wait, what? They don't include bases for for minis? That's like.. what? That's like not including a charger with a smartphone.

How is it supposed to stand?

Clint_L

Hero
Wait wait, what? They don't include bases for for minis? That's like.. what? That's like not including a charger with a smartphone.

How is it supposed to stand?
The unpainted ones have built in "skateboards" (little pieces of terrain), but on WK miniatures they are thin, small, and irregularly shaped, and with the soft plastic used by WK they leave the miniatures very prone to bending on top of being tippy. They're not great.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I'm very, very irked with Wizkids about their unpainted miniatures lines. They've recently removed the bases from the packs, so now you have to buy them separately (if available). And with these new releases, they've substantially raised prices.

I'm boycotting them. They're low quality anyway, compared to what I get from Reaper, Steamforged, and others, and now it feels like they're trying to gouge me.
I agree with you, I don't buy them anymore

Clint_L

Hero
Try Temu. I picked up clear and black huge bases from that site.
I can get bases, but thank you for the recommendation. My issue is that WK are designed to need bases, until recently came with bases, and now they’ve removed them to make you pay more or go without.

I shouldn’t have to buy another product on top of the original, already pricy one. It’s not like they lowered the price to make up for the bases now being separate. To the contrary, they’ve raised them. Twice, effectively. And added inconvenience. You now pay more for less and have to find and purchase bases.

Remove ads

Remove ads