• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wolfen in D&D

Wolfen were not very strong from Palladium, they were more Dexterious and wilderness buffs since I just traded over my whole Palladium Collection since there was not going to be a major revamp to the rules and no OGL Conversion rules set neither.
I love the one Wolfen from Confrontation with the Sniper Rifle and will one day own that miniature and use it as a character, now if only they would sell him individually instead of the box set which it's in. I also loved the Wolfen and the Dragon-wolf from Palladium.
I would recommend their Favorite class as a Ranger and would like to make this character as an NPC for my Forgotten Realms campaign.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just looked in my Palladium books.

I'd say they are Large (7-10') creatures with Scent and Monsterous appearance as a racial characteristics (Savage Species), and should do between 1d6x2 and 1d8x2 with a natural attack, since their attacks do about the same amount of damage as a broadsword or longsword in Palladium. If you don't have Savage Species, give them Tracking and a +2 to Intimidate rolls.

They're similar to humans in most stats, but are stronger and faster- +4Str, Base Speed 40. Their hearing is also better, +2 Listen.

Storyteller01

First Post
These are Grey Runners, from FFG's Spellslinger. Might be what your looking for. And they even look like the Wolfen in Palladium!

+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Wis, -2 Int
Medium Critter (6 to 6.5 feet tall)
Speed: 40
Scent
Weapon Familiarity: tomahawk (dam 1d10, crit: x2, rg inc. 15 ft)
Track by Scent (DC: 10 regardless of surface or visibility conditions, +2 per hour)

PS: You may want to tweak these rules if you include rainfall...

Bite: dam 1d6
+4 to Knowledge (Pack) checks
Spells cast with the 'Natural' descriptor cannot be dispelled or affected by spell resistance.
LA: +1

This race was designed to be the indians in their camapaign. I believe the Natural Spell was to make for the fact that firearms are a ranged touch attack in their setting. The magic system also worked much differently (feat based, only up to 5th level spells). Weapon Familiarity can be used on any exotic weapon you whant them to weild (pilums or nets are always a nice touch :) ) Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
A good starting for coming with your own homebrew take on them would be to compare them to Traveller's Vargr or use the Gnolls as a base and tone it done from there.

S'mon

Legend
Dremmen said:
The thing is that Gnolls are medium sized. OK, maybe I should say why I'm looking for Wolfen in the first place. If you're familiar with the Rackham Confrontation line of miniatures, you'll quickly know what I'm talking about. They have these AWEsome lines of minis that are the spitting image of Wolfen, IMO. They are on the bigger side of Wolfen, and they have a Celtic spin to them rather than Roman Legionnaire, but that's the closest thing I could refer them as for finding D20 stats for them. Here's a quick link -
http://www.rackham-store.com/ and check out the one appropriately enough called Wolfen or the Devourers.

Bugbears are Medium too. I don't think Wolfen should be Large in 3.5e, that would give them 10 x10 bases and 10' reach = reach across a 30x30' area! :uhoh:

Edit: I guess if your wolfen are the size of hill giants, base them off Giant stats. I see them more like the Chainmail Werewolf minis - ca 8' tall, not 10'+.

Edit: Actually I think Minotaur stats is about right. Psion's Manimal looks good too.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Here's a revised version of Psion's manimal, removing the non-wolfeny bits:

Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+17
Attack: Bite +13 melee (1d8+7) or by weapon +7 or +10
Full Attack: Bite +13 melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Spot +6, Survival +4*
Feats: Alertness, Run, Track, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pack (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: usually neutral
Advancement: By character class (Large)
Level Adjustment: +3

The wolfen has the weapon and armor proficiencies of creatures of the monstrous humanoid type.

Skills: A wolfen has a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.

*It also has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
I just noticed the alignment is still "awlays neutral"; I forget but I think that the manimal template might change that. Or you might just do it. ;)

Gotta run, but hopefully someone else can look it up.

Dremmen

First Post
S'mon and Psion are right near target I think. S'mon, if you saw the minis, you'd see why they're large - a normal fig comes to just above their hips. They are about ogre sized. The only thing about the stats that I'll tweak here in a bit is the Special Attack - I can see why a dire wolf would have a trip attack as they bite at your heels or something - but I don't see it for the Wolfen. I'll have to research a more suitable special attack. And the thing with S'mon's version is the 25 Str and 15 Dex - these Wolfen seem to be strong but fast too. Probably not like felinids where they would be more agile than strong but they are not brutes where their strength far surpasses their agility. The Girallon is kind'a more like I was thinking - they can chase you down on foot, even jumping from tree to tree and jumping over obstacles, before tearing into you like a fat man into cake

(mmmmmm cake....)

ahem - so that would make it a Str 22, Dex 17. On top of that I wouldn't mind giving them the Rend ability, also from the Girallon. Of course that would imply a claw attack which I am unsure about in the wolfen. Also I was thinking about some Howl special ability, which can be used for calling members of his pack - like a summon from a devil. It would have some % chance of summoning say 1D6 other Wolfen. And maybe a bonus of +2 for Intimidate like was suggested. What do you all think? All this would probably take the CR up to a 5..although we did cut back on their strength.

Last edited:

Remove ads