Wolfen in D&D

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Lupins from Mystara have been converted to 3.5 in an issue of Dragon. Not sure of which issue, since I'm not at home near my magazines right now.

There are also the Shistavenen from the SW Ultimate Alien Anthology.

For a big Rackham like Wolfen, you'll likely have to find something close and then modify to suit your tastes. For Palladium-like Wolfen, IMO, Lupins, Dovers, Shistavenen, Dogmen from the Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary, or one of the other races listed here would end up being your best bet.

Kane

Last edited:

Dremmen

First Post
Voadam had mentioned some bestial wolf men from Warcraft Land of Conflict, and these apparently had a few HD. If only I had Land of Conflict...the Jackal Lords may be a possibility. I'll see if I can dig out my Fiend Folio.

jefgorbach

First Post
Why not just simply use the normal werewolf (or werewolf template applied to a minotar/ogre if needed for size) in hybred-form without the shapechange liability?

Dremmen

First Post
I could use the Flind's stats crossed with the Skullcrusher Ogre. That I think would get me close. But the easiest thing will be to use the stats for a Greater Barghest. They have a hybrid form, they're Large, and have decent skills and stats. I need to strip them of some of the special abilities, give them scent, and I think I got something.

I'll draw it up and post it here tomorrow, see what everyone thinks.

Voadam

Legend
Don't think the Warcraft one is what you are looking for now that I've called them up, they are medium sized 3HD humanoids with d4 claw and d6 bite attack, bonus feat of improved crit claw, a disease with the bite (1 day d6 cha), +30 on jump checks, fast healing, regen 5 silver at night only, 60 feet darkvision, Strength +6, Dexterity +2, Constitution +4,
Intelligence –2, Wisdom +2, Charisma –2, LA +2, DR 5/silver, +2 natural armor, and scent.

The gamma world dog men might be closer if you take away their special mutant powers

Ark: CR 4; Large mutant humanoid 9 ft.; HD 4d8+8; hp
24; Mas 15; Init +0; Spd 40 ft.; Defense 12, touch 9, flatfooted
12 (+3 studded leather armor, –1 size); BAB +4; Grap
+12; Atk +7 melee (bite 1d6+6 or by weapon); Full Atk: +7
melee (bite 1d6+6 or by weapon); FS 10 ft. by 10 ft.; Reach
10 ft.; SQ telekinesis, weather manipulation, life leech; AL
pack; SV Fort +3, Ref+4, Will+6; AP 0; Rep +0; Str 19,
Dex 11, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 12.
Skills: Survival +8, Spot +2, Search+6, Listen +10,
Balance +2, Intimidate +6, Swim+5.
Feats: Track.
Advancement: By character class

spidertrag

First Post
Voadam said:
The gamma world dog men might be closer if you take away their special mutant powers

Ark: CR 4; Large mutant humanoid 9 ft.; HD 4d8+8; hp
24; Mas 15; Init +0; Spd 40 ft.; Defense 12, touch 9, flatfooted
12 (+3 studded leather armor, –1 size); BAB +4; Grap
+12; Atk +7 melee (bite 1d6+6 or by weapon); Full Atk: +7
melee (bite 1d6+6 or by weapon); FS 10 ft. by 10 ft.; Reach
10 ft.; SQ telekinesis, weather manipulation, life leech; AL
pack; SV Fort +3, Ref+4, Will+6; AP 0; Rep +0; Str 19,
Dex 11, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 12.
Skills: Survival +8, Spot +2, Search+6, Listen +10,
Balance +2, Intimidate +6, Swim+5.
Feats: Track.
Advancement: By character class

Even in the past editions, i always imagined that the arks were wolf-like humanoids----ahhh the good ole days :heh:

Dark Psion

First Post
Dremmen said:
The Rakasha I don't believe would be a good fit. There will be villages of these guys, and Rakasha to my understanding are loners as well as pretty dang mighty.

If not the Rakshasa (Demons from India), then how about the Rakasta (D&D Samurai Thundercats).

If you you have Races of the Wild, the Catfolk are the closest 3.5 version.

There were two issues of Dragon that expanded both the Rakasta and the Lupins with subraces based on breeds of dogs and cats.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Those Wolfen minis ROCK! I have loads of 'em...

I'd go through Savage Species and/or every Monster Manual-type sourcebook you have and find a large creature you like, and just simply tweek it.

For instance, given their culture, you might use the Half-Giants from AU, and give them Littoran qualities.

Edit: If you are a real fan of RIFTS/Palladium, perhaps you have their Compendium of Weapons, Arms and Castles... Its got a chart that does a pretty good job of translating weapons damage across various systems (read, from Palladium to 1Ed/2Ed D&D) - that should let you convert the damage from Wolfen's natural attacks into D&D.

Wolfen PCs in D&D...Yep...that's a good idea that's on my short list for my next campaign!

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
DIRE WOLF MANIMAL
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+17
Attack: Bite +13 melee (1d8+10)
Full Attack: Bite +13 melee (1d8+10)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +5, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Spot +6, Survival +4*
Feats: Alertness, Run, TrackB, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pack (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-18 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: (your call; I’d say 2 or 3 with that strength)

(Insert your behavior text here)

The manimal has the weapon and armor proficiencies of creatures of the monstrous humanoid type.

Animal Blood (Ex): A manimal counts both as an animal and a humanoid for the purpose of spells, abilities, and effects that specifically affect animals. It is allowed a Will save to resist spells and effects that specifically affect animals, even if the effect does not normally allow a Will save. The DC for such a save equals 10 + the spell’s level + caster’s appropriate ability modifier. If the effect is not a spell, the DC is equal to 10 plus 1/2 manimal’s HD plus manimal’s Charisma modifier. Success renders the manimal immune to that particular effect for 24 hours. Awaken animal has no effect on a manimal.

Trip (Ex): A dire wolf manimal that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip its opponent (+11 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dire wolf manimal.

Skills: A dire wolf manimal has a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.

*It also has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Remove ads