• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

working on a sorcerer build

ggeilman

First Post
IMHO, it is not worth 17 points to start with a 20 stat in anything much less Ch. You would be stuck with a 7 Str for the life of the character for little bonus. Carry your money and food and you are encumbered. Drop it down 2 points, get the 18 Ch and a 14 Dex and Con. I would go draconic bloodline myself. And no, no 9th level spells with the favored class option unless the campaign goes into 10th level spells.

Empirate

First Post
I think ability score placement depends a lot on what level you start, and how long the campaign is expected to last. For example, if you start at 4th level and don't expect to see 8th, it'd be ideal to leave your top score odd (e.g., Cha 19 [17 base + 2 racial]) at creation, then use the +1 ability score bonus at 4th level to bump it up. If you start at 1st level and expect to go to the double digits, it's probably better to do as [MENTION=6705347]ggeilman[/MENTION] suggests - although getting Cha as high as possible is important if you use a lot of spells that allow for a save.

harikus

First Post
I would go draconic bloodline myself.

What draws you to the draconic bloodline? I like this:
1. I could gain perception skill, which is cool. I guess? A lot of people say its great but I haven't done pathfinder enough to know how good it is.
2. But the bonus spells they get seem redundant to me. Maybe I could use my level ups to replace the previous dragon form spells that I won't be using? If my GM won't let me that makes me sad.
3. Natural Armor bonus seems cool. Squishy caster can always use more armor.
4. Wings! I love wings. Sounds so cool. Free fly spell basically right, without having to use spells per day?
5. Dragon Immunity at capstone is bloody awesome!
6. Finally the two parts that I hate. Level 1 = claw. Level 9 = Dragon breath. I don't care about these two at all. Since I don't care about these, would Tattooed Sorcerer powers be good for replacing these two? a. I can replace the claws, which I would never use, for a familiar that I can wear on my body whenever I want it to as ITS move action :D. b. I can replace the breath attack, which I don't think much of, and in the process I can take one of the spells I know and make it a spell-like ability. I could officially take Time Stop as a tattoo spell-like ability later. How cool is that? I know that I can only use the tattoo spell once a day and the dragon breath up to three times a day, but I just feel like my ?d6 breath attack would end up looking a lot more like a ?d6/2 :eek:.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/cor...ines/bloodlines-from-paizo/draconic-bloodline
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/cor...paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/tattooed-sorcerer

harikus

First Post
I also don't know much about epic pathfinder levels and what to expect. So I wondered about this:
Is if someone wanted to do a Dragon themed character. Since I am apparently missing any info on epic progression for sorcerer, what if you took Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer up to say 20? Then you took the Prestige Class Dragon Disciple up to 8. Just for some of the sideline bonuses?

ggeilman

First Post
Don't underestimate those claws, especially at low levels. At times it has kept our sorcerers alive! Besides it allows an AOO since you always have a weapon. It amazes me that players concentrate more on planning out their characters to level 20 than they do about how they are going to make it to level 5! Those low levels are the hardest to survive. If you don't make it through them.... In some games your chance of making it to level 5 are less than 50%.

IMHO, it is not worth 17 points to start with a 20 stat in anything much less Ch. You would be stuck with a 7 Str for the life of the character for little bonus. Carry your money and food and you are encumbered.
Not everyone worries too much about encumbrance rules - especially for gold pieces - so this might not be a drawback in some games. If it is, ask the fighter to carry your stuff, or invest in some Mule Cords.

A 20 in your casting stat gives you more spells per day, which amounts to more fun, so I'd always recommend it (assuming the available points are not too low).

ggeilman

First Post
RAW though they count and also that is -2 to damage if you get into melee. To each his own I guess. We encourage a much more balanced character in our games.

harikus

First Post
Don't underestimate those claws, especially at low levels. At times it has kept our sorcerers alive! Besides it allows an AOO since you always have a weapon. It amazes me that players concentrate more on planning out their characters to level 20 than they do about how they are going to make it to level 5! Those low levels are the hardest to survive. If you don't make it through them.... In some games your chance of making it to level 5 are less than 50%.

If I were to equip a spiked gauntlet, could that help me avoid the AOO? Sorcerers can equip simple weapons, and this way I don't have to be disarmed, unless we are talking about dismemberment from the help or shoulder.

But what about Draconic would you say you prefer to Arcane Human and Ifrit Wishcrafter? Is it more of a style or is it the Bloodline boost to energy of your type?

RAW though they count and also that is -2 to damage if you get into melee. To each his own I guess. We encourage a much more balanced character in our games.
Yeah, people draw the line in different places, I guess.

One of the players in my Pathfinder game turned up with a 20 point buy elf wizard with stats (after racial adjustments) of Str 7 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 20 Wis 7 Cha 7

I'd never seen anyone do that before, and to my mind that was taking it too far. I still accepted the character into the game, but next camapaign I am going to have to set some limits.

Among other things, it isn't much fun as a DM to role-play encounters with a PC with Wis 7 and Cha 7. The player is trying to role-play those stats fairly, so the character usually comes across as rude, reckless and insensitive - not much fun to interact with!

Remove ads