• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Alright, the changes look like they could be more than just trivial (thanks to TalonComics for the info). What sort of things am I looking for now?

* A revised ranger class (away from the dual-wielding?)
* A revised bard class (6 skill pts/level?)
* A revised sorcerer class (better skill selection?)
* Increased costs on some magic items (boots of speed, anyone?)
* A few spells changing effects/levels (shield, harm, polymorph?).
* New feats (perhaps ones to aid the monk per Sword & Fist and other neglected classes?)

Might we see the restrictions on paladins and monks multiclassing disappear? :)

Now, I doubt we will be seeing:
* Changes in the basics of combat (resolution, BAB, Saves, initiative, AoOs - although the descriptions of such will be improved).
* Changes in the basics of races and most spells
* Changes in the basics of most skills
* Ditto feats.
* Changes in character creation or advancement

That last is most important. If so, all other new information will eventually make it to the SRD (otherwise the d20 system will fail utterly. ;))

We have managed to exist quite well with several variant ranger classes until now. This may mean there are some more.

It is almost impossible that the game will be radically changed - WotC are not stupid enough to re-release all the books they'd invalidate with such a revision. This is going to be a significant revision, but probably one that keeps 90% or more of the original 3E relevant.

One thing it may do is stop people being so strict about stat blocks... they may feel free to improvise a bit more. ;)

In any case, 3E has well and truly used the idea of give complete information where required - such as full stat blocks being the norm. Thus, a player with the old books isn't likely to find much that is surprising (perhaps the odd feat - but hopefully those will be in the SRD, or even reprinted in the new module). The revised classes may have slightly differing powers... but it shouldn't be that bad.

After all, does 3E work well as it is? Absolutely. So I'm confident that any changes will be minor in the great scheme of things.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Gizzard

First Post
An interesting question; I wonder who is going to be doing this update. A lot of people involved in the first round of 3E are long gone. Anyway, the staffing for this project should give us some hints about how aggressive it will end up being.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sort of gone. I see Monte's got Yet Another Interesting Product coming out from WotC next year.

(Ghostwalk, btw).

Cheers!

TalonComics

First Post
Gizzard said:
An interesting question; I wonder who is going to be doing this update. A lot of people involved in the first round of 3E are long gone. Anyway, the staffing for this project should give us some hints about how aggressive it will end up being.

Ah, something I didn't mention in my other thread:
There are *no* writer credits listed for these revised corebooks. Not even the writers from the initial 3rd Edition releases are listed. Take it however you like but all of the blurbs for products being released have small author bios under the product info *except* these.

~D

MerricB said:
It is almost impossible that the game will be radically changed - WotC are not stupid enough to re-release all the books they'd invalidate with such a revision. This is going to be a significant revision, but probably one that keeps 90% or more of the original 3E relevant.
Cheers!

We'll it could happen this way as well..... They do invalidate all the stuff that their customers have already bought, because that stuff isn't generating any new revenue. They'll let the print runs run out of the "unrevised" books which will hopefully occur before the release of the "revised" books. They explain away this invalidation by saying "you can easily adapt it." We'll i've easily adapted 1E to 3E....

The'd then re-release the same stuff that they've invalidated within 2 years of the revision, but add 25% more stuff and clarify the mistakes and oversights the original "revised" products had.

I think this is possible, because it looks like they're already doing it with the new versions of the core books (the question here is a really just a matter of time, eventually they will invalidate their stuff because of 4E or some major 3E change). Also, its important to remember that a lot of the stuff out there is not WotC stuff, its 3rd party, so their not only invalidating WotC stuff, but their also hitting the 3rd party people, their competators. Its not a serious hit, but it will make itself felt.

will it make people angry? yes... will those angry people still buy the stuff because its a hobby industry? i don't know, but i'd vote yes, because people want to buy the new stuff that will come out and eventually they'll cave and buy the new books because all the new material coming out will only include "revised" book stuff, including all the 3rd party guys.

But i bet these "revised" books will post as good, or better numbers, ast he original release did, when you consider the much lower cost of development/production.

I'm interesting in hearing other's ideas.. I'll wait to hear more, but i'm of a suspicious nature.. :) Personally i think its a blatant attempt to grab another 90$ by releasing clairifications that most of us are already using and adding stuff from products they've already put out in the splatbooks.. I'm of course, speculating.. but what is truly new in the books could have just been a supplement...

They could have put all this "revised" stuff in one place on the web.. they could have put it all in one new book for 30$... they could have released the info as supplements....

joe b.

Last edited:

jdavis

First Post
Can I pay 25% of the price for just the 25% of the information that I don't already have?

Oh well I will just worry about this in six months, I'm sure by that time there will be a very clear picture of exactly what is changed and exactly what effects it will have. Then I'll make my decision to shell out the money or get mad or both or neither. I can't plan a vacation six weeks ahead of time why should I worry about planning for new books in six months.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I really hoe WotC are going to list all the changes on their website.

It is my intention to make Urbis, the setting I am developing, to be 100% compatible to the D&D rules. But I don't know if I will be able to afford the new books when they come out.

You see, at that time I will be drafted into the military. And not only will they rob nine months of my life, the pay I will get is outrageously low for someone with my qualifications... :(

Sammael99

First Post
gunter uxbridge said:
Personally, I can really see shelling out $30 for a new PH, since I have been considering getting a new one anyway. I have one of the first printing $20 ones and was wanting to get a PH with all of the corrections from the second printing. I have NO INTENTION to replace my DMG or MM. Any changes to them would not be worth the payout.

I'm more or less in line with this, Uxbridge. I could see myself buying an improved PHB. The only thing that could make me purchase an improved DMG would be if they included LOTS of options, like VP/WP, Divine casters as spontaneous casters, etc. Basically if it became the toolbox it should have been in the first place.

No way I'm buying another MM. I've probably used about 10 monsters from the MM tops, so there's still a whole lot usage to come from that one to make the first purchase worthwhile...

Zappo

Explorer
Hmm...? I don't understand the surprise and anger. WotC had stated explicitly, even before 3E was out, that they were going to have a 3.1 release with minor improvements. They said that they were going to follow the open software development model. The only question was when. I thought it was a good idea back then, and I still think it is. What do you want, the books to be perfect on the first run? Keep dreaming.
Pielorinho said:
In no case will I be angry at WOTC for releasing a rules revision, any more than I'd be angry at Microsoft for releasing a new version of Office. That's just, imho, silly.
...and, in the case of Microsoft, bad for your coronary. Can't get mad every other week, I mean. :D

Knight Otu

First Post
Personally, I'll just wait and see. In my opinion, a revision is only needed if errata is too overwhelming, as is the case with the first Creature Collection. I don't really see the need for a revision of the Core books, though.

And, revising the classes to make them more balanced, as mentioned in Talon's thread? Let's face it, someone will find a new pet "broken" or "sucky" class for everyone to enjoy. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads