• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Im skeptical, but willing to give WotC the benefit of the doubt here. I didn't buy the re-released core books when they did this for 2E, and got along just fine. However, there are parts of the 3E books now that really could use some clarification. I would hate to see the changes be enough to render it incompatible with existing d20 material, but there's no way WotC would be that foolish, just no way.

Personally, I think they should have some sort of trade-in system, or make the price $20 per book again. They have to realize that buying three books all over again isnt going to go over so smoothly for a lot of D&D players. The Star Wars market is smaller, and they only had to purchase a single new book, thats quite different from asking all the D&D players to buy three.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Alzrius said:
Im skeptical, but willing to give WotC the benefit of the doubt here. I didn't buy the re-released core books when they did this for 2E, and got along just fine. However, there are parts of the 3E books now that really could use some clarification. I would hate to see the changes be enough to render it incompatible with existing d20 material, but there's no way WotC would be that foolish, just no way.

Actually, they never revised the system in 2nd ed (or 1st ed.) They only put out new looking books. 1st ed only had new covers, 2nd ed had new layout inside, but the text was unchanged (except for the typo corrections that happen with every new printing.

As to compatibility, they stated in the catalog that these will be fully compatible with backlist books.

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
Falanor said:
Increasing the bard skill points per level as you suggested earlier would make NPC stat blocks incompatible.
Nah... it's just that some bards are lazy and don't bother to learn all of their available skills.

Yeah, that's the ticket, yeah. :)

Glyfair

Explorer
thalmin said:

Actually, they never revised the system in 2nd ed (or 1st ed.) They only put out new looking books. 1st ed only had new covers, 2nd ed had new layout inside, but the text was unchanged (except for the typo corrections that happen with every new printing.

Actually, from what I understand, almost every single new printing of the 2nd Ed. books had something new slipped in (not just the ones with the new covers). They just didn't annouce it as "errata" or make an comments about "new, improved" rules and people only noticed over time.

Glyfair of Glamis

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
True, I guess it was more than typos, but also other corrections, just like we have seen with the three printings of the 3rd ed PHB so far. This time, though, they are talking about maing some more substantial changes, thus the "Revised" label.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Paul_Klein said:
Hey Thalmin, can you tell us what else is on the burners for a Q2 release for D&D and Star Wars? :)

First a slight correction. This is second...trimester?...
Anyway
May - Unapproachable East: FR hardcover $29.95
May - Urban Arcana Campaign Setting: d20 modern hardcover #29.95

June - Ghostwalk: new campaign option set in city of undead. Play an undead character! Hardcover $34.95
June - Hero's Guide: SW hardcover $29.95

July - the Revised books.

August - Dragonlance Campaign Setting (by Weiss & Perrin) hardcover $39.95
August - Galactic Campaign Guide: SW hardcover $29.95

The rest listed are all novels. Hope that helps.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
My concern is similar to Emricol, but only as it relates to the SRD. I don't (hopefully) for see any changes stuff I use (except the Ranger stuff. I just hope they keep the d10. Everything else is negiotable) But I will say, if they add new feats to the SRD that were formerly copyrighted, I'll be happy. New DMG prestige classes, I can handle to a degree.

the Jester

Legend
Well, if it's gonna be 25% new stuff, I find it hard to believe that it'll still be fully compatible with everything else- unless it only includes things from the splatbooks.

In any case, I'm not sure that it's worth another $30 per book to pick up a few things that aren't in resources I already have. I'll have to see, but it sounds like a ploy to suck more money from all of us by making it necessary to have the new "revised" books in order to use any of the later accessories.

Sure the system's not perfect; but it's too soon to start socking it to us for a new set of core books, imho.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads