• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

Emiricol

Why, Mr. RW - how dare you introduce logic and reasoning to a perfectly fun conjecture-fest!

Actually, it doesn't sound unlikely, but I do think more than one person would have heard it, if it were true.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
It looks like it's real.

I just saw confirmation of the revised books from one of the heads of the Living Greyhawk campaign.

His name is David Christ, and he's a member of the "Circle of Six", the group of RPGA appointed campaign administrators.

He's not a WOTC employee, so it's still not 100% certain, but it looks a lot more likely now.

Here's his post on the subject.

Date: Tue Dec 3, 2002 4:31 pm
Subject: New Revised Core Books to be released

The Circle is aware of these books. Why we of course cannot go into
details of what they may or may not contain, we did want you all to
know that we are on top of this one and that it should cause minimal
(if any) problems for the campaign.

David C
The Circle

Last edited:

RangerWickett said:
Um, guys, this is ENWorld, and you think that such an update is being planned and none of the people in charge have heard about this supposed update? That's preposterous! WotC isn't doing this for at least another year or two. If they were, we'd hear it here first.

Yeah, but it will happen sooner or later. I'm sure WotC's business planning department is projecting that about 40% minimum of their 3E installed base customers will upgrade to new core books within the first 12 months of release.

The rules changes will be minor. Some clarifications & simplifications based on current errata lists and the letters to the "sage" - probably very light on totally new material ( but there WILL be some from splatbooks/internet/Dragon mag ) or actual changes.

Bottom line is that WotC needs D&D to generate more revenue. The Star Wars revised core rule book experiment
was a success - ( Not for ME though... )

I'm sure future products after the revised books come out will not "require" the new books.

For D&D to be a viable, sustaining and profitable segment of WotC/Hasbro, they need more core book revenue, and sales have slowed considerably.

So if the revised rule books keep 4E away for another 4+ years after their release, and I can still use all my d20 stuff without modification, I'm a happy camper whether I buy them or not.

edit: for obvious spelling error

Last edited:

Tharkun

First Post
Well, I would fer sure buy them as they'd be the second set I own of the core books (I own the 1 printings of all the core books now). So I didn't go spending that $$ when they revised them. So lucky me :D

AngelTears

First Post
It would be nice to know that if I buy my own copies of the PHB and DMG with my next weeks tax return. Do I, a few (okay let's say six) months later have to pay the same again?

-Angel Tears

SemperJase

First Post
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

The rules changes will be minor. Some clarifications & simplifications based on current errata lists and the letters to the "sage" ...

Deja Vu. Sounds like what TSR did with 2nd edition. Re issue the core books with reorganized layout and corrections to errata. It didn't make any 2nd ed books obsolete. Just generated some revenue.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm guessing it will be slightly more significant than 2E.1, but not so much as to alienate existing fans (as the Star Wars revisions may well have).

A good reason is just to make the game easier to understand for new players - there still are some rather rough spots in the rules.

Cheers!

Renaissance Man

First Post
Exciting news! I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, like Buttercup I am concerned that the revisions would invalidate the products I have bought to date. On the other hand, the changes may be merely cosmetic. But if that's the case, why do I need them?

Aw, hell - who am I kidding? Revised rulebooks? THEY MUST BE MINE! :D

Corinth

First Post
If the changes aren't that radical, then a web enhancement that covers all of the changes is a good idea. A better one would be a promotional offer wherein upgrading users could send in their old rulebooks to get a rebate of some sort ($5-10 US), which WOTC could then turn around and recycle into new copies of the new rulebooks. Hell if I know if either of these are practical, but it'd be nice.

Ranger REG

Explorer
JeffB said:
All I can say is BRAVO WOTC!

If it's true.
If it is true ... wouldn't it be a lot easier to say the 3rd or 4th printing of 3e will be corrected and revised?

This "revised edition" is nothing more than a promotional gimmick, IMHO. Besides, we haven't reach the 5-year mark.

If they are accepting a revised wishlist (not comprehensive):
  1. corrections and clarifications.
  2. remove "standard action," and "partial action," and use "attack action," "move action, " and "full-round action."
  3. moving vehicle/creature combat rules (from a one-horse cart to a magic carpet ... and don't forget about dragons).
  4. include psionic rules, martial arts mastery, monsters as PC (there has to be something better than the one in the DMG, I can't tell if an Aasimar or any particular 1-HD creature deserves a normal advancement or level advancement +1).

Last edited:

Remove ads