• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

Apok

First Post
I think this is excellent. My PHB is starting to get a tad dog-eared anyways. If these revised corebooks are real and not just conjecture, I'll probably be in the market for (at least) a new PHB by the time they are released.

Like MerricB, I find it highly unlikely that WotC will be implementing any drastic changes to the sytem. It's going to be tweaks, errata, and updates to the system for clarification purposes. The most major editing to the mechanics they will likely be doing are Spell Lists and possibly some minor class features (Bard's getting 6 Skill Points, Sorcs getting some more skills, etc.). This is not the kind of thing that will invalidate 3rd party material.

Heh, if this is the real deal, I'll bet WotC will time it's release to be around the same time as Arcana Unearthed's. The tricky bastiches... ;) :D

Last edited:

Oberton

First Post
Ready and I have the cash...

I am more than ready for a "re-release" of the core products. My players book is a first run book and I have been hoping they would do such a thing.

I am use to buying computer game updates and expansions and this is really no different. If you don't care to spend the cash then use the errate (spelling?) files and save your cash...

Come on WOTC... Bring the revised set out...

gunter uxbridge

First Post
Personally, I can really see shelling out $30 for a new PH, since I have been considering getting a new one anyway. I have one of the first printing $20 ones and was wanting to get a PH with all of the corrections from the second printing. I have NO INTENTION to replace my DMG or MM. Any changes to them would not be worth the payout.

As long as the new printing is of high quality, clears up some of those pesky rules questions (Sweet Jebus....could grapple be any more confusing?) and includes some nice new crunchy bits, it will be worth the money.

Glyfair

Explorer
KenM said:

I totally agree, I'm NOT going to spend money on books I already have. If they don't offer frre upgrades on the web site, I'm switching systems.

How does that make sense? You don't want to spend money to "upgrade" to the new books, but you're willing to spend money on a different system? Just stick with what we have and don't worry about the upgrades.

Glyfair of Glamis

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Shrug. If this happens, I'll treat the books like I do any other gaming book: I'll look at it, listen to what other folks are saying, and ask myself: will this give me and my group enough fun that I'm willing to shell out the money for it?

If it's a complete revision, but it doesn't look like lots of new fun to me, I won't get it. If it's a minor revision, but (for example) the binding is really good and it's really well organized so it cuts down on research-time in-game, I might get it.

In no case will I be angry at WOTC for releasing a rules revision, any more than I'd be angry at Microsoft for releasing a new version of Office. That's just, imho, silly.

Daniel

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Obviously a clearer, stronger, tighter set of rules can only be an improvement, but if the new ranger looks like some wilderness ninja, I'm gonna freak out...

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I know the quote to be accurate. We just received the May-August release schedule from WotC, and the qoute is part of the release plans for July. This info is found on page 16 of the catalog.

edit

More from the catalog "These revisions are fully compatible with existing backlist products, and each title will include upgrade notes on how to integrate new information into existing campaigns."
The catalog goes on to say "The total amount of new and revised material is approximately 25%."

Each book is listed for July release with a US price of $29.95, $41.95 CAN

(edited for Canadian price)

Last edited:

Terraism

Explorer
Apok said:
Heh, if this is the real deal, I'll bet WotC will time it's release to be around the same time as Arcana Unearthed's. The tricky bastiches... ;) :D
You were thinking that too, huh? :) A week ago we hear from Monte, and now... [Laugh.] Of course, it really would be exclusive, 'cause they would've been planning it for a while, but the timing is funny.

Anyway, yeah - I've got a 1st printing of the core books, and they're starting to get weak on me - mainly the PH and the MM, but the DMG is getting there. Six months from now - maybe eight - I'd be getting a new one in all likelihood anyway. If they've got a clarified version that's reorganized, I'm happy. :)

kenjib

First Post
MerricB said:

* things to make the new version incompatible with the original books - in the great scheme of things, the changes I think they'd make will be incredibly minor, but will improve the look & feel of the game.

Increasing the bard skill points per level as you suggested earlier would make NPC stat blocks incompatible.

Falanor

First Post
Increasing the bard skill points per level as you suggested earlier would make NPC stat blocks incompatible.

Which would go along with the revised DMG...

Remove ads