[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
A little clairity here and there in the rules would be welcome. But I'm very concerned that they will "over-correct" some classes (e.g. ranger).

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I'm looking at my bookshelf with nearly 200 D20 titles. Nope. I'm not gonna buy anything that would render that investment obsolete. No way.

Now if the rules weren't tinkered with to such an extreme, I might consider buying new core books. Maybe. Possibly. But I'd rather spend the money on new stuff instead.

Emiricol

My biggest concern is compatibility with 3rd party products.

If the new books make my whole library obsolete, then I'll just keep using the stuff I have now. I'd have to stop habitually buying every WotC product that gets published, anymore, since it wouldn't work with any of the modules, settings, class books, supplements, and all the WotC books like MoP, that I've bought over the years.

If the new books work flawlessly with my current extensive library, without me having to rework the contents, then I'll likely eventually buy the new books when my old ones fall apart.

FASA used to do reprints all the time, usually without announcing that they'd done so, but the differences were so minor they often didn't matter. I hope that if this rumor is true, WotC's differences are so minor they don't matter, 'cause it would sure suck if WotC couldn' do a reprint better than FASA...

Gizzard

First Post
Actually, it sounds like a relatively minor set of changes. I'd personally be interested in grabbing a new PHB with all the typos worked out, a couple minor tweaks to the classes and a bit more explanation or detail in the "tricky parts". As well as some fine "premium content".

Some of this sort of stuff is already available on the web via errata or Sage Advice, but as a practical matter, its easier to carry around one correct PHB rather than an incorrect one and 50 pages of printouts. ;-)

Also, as I look at it, I'd be excited about a new PHB, but I'm not sure I need to upgrade my DMG or MM. So I'm looking at a $30 investment to go to 3.1E, which isnt much at all.

Droogie

Explorer
Wow. Just the other day I was thinking, "wouldn't it be nice if the core 3e books were as refined and clear as CoC or d20 modern?"

*blue fairy waves wand*

*BLING* Your wish is my command.

I'm with most of you, though- I hope the changes aren't too drastic. But lets face it- there are skills and classes and spells that need some serious tweaking.

And please, God....let them scrub up the monster classes/ECL rules nice and shiny.

Say...could this be the reason why we haven't seen that DMG 2nd printing?

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
I'm giving WotC the benefit of the doubt on this.

Of course I also gave White Wolf the benefit of the doubt and within five years I had enough revised, redundant crap to fill a landfill.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
A few changes that wouldn't surprise me:

* An increase in Bard skill points to 6/level
* Change to the harm and shield spells, as well as the polymorph spells.
* Some tweaking of the ranger
* Rewriting of several abilities so they are clearer
* Competely rewritten AoO rules (same meaning, just clearer)
* An improved Ranger spell list
* Some tweaking of the sorcerer
* A better explanation of the spot/listen/surprise rules
* More pages in the Monster Manual - have a look at MM2 and the slightly larger font/improved formatting.

What I don't think we'll see:
* new skills, or radically changed skills
* drastically changed classes
* things to make the new version incompatible with the original books - in the great scheme of things, the changes I think they'd make will be incredibly minor, but will improve the look & feel of the game.

Cheers!

Um, guys, this is ENWorld, and you think that such an update is being planned and none of the people in charge have heard about this supposed update? That's preposterous! WotC isn't doing this for at least another year or two. If they were, we'd hear it here first.

Fast Learner

First Post
From Caliban's history here, I seriously doubt he would have brought this up if his original source wasn't at least slightly dependable. Yes, he came here for validation or invalidation, but as much as I love ENWorld, it's not the center of the universe.

(OK, it is, but that still doesn't make it not true!) :)

Remove ads