WotC Is Hiring A New D&D Game Designer

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

Want a job designing Dungeons & Dragons products for WotC? They're hiring! A new job opportunity has been posted on Hasbro's jobs website. "This position creates D&D products, such as a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons. It is responsible for leading one product at a time, while providing feedback on other products in production. The person in this role is responsible for the final product, and must oversee and coordinate the work of designers, writers, and editors to combine individual contributions into a cohesive whole. This position is also responsible for ensuring that the product is consistent with D&D game mechanics and that new game material is properly playtested."

wotclogo.gif

The job is based near Seattle, at WotC's main offices. Click here to check it out.

It's interesting that the task of "a book updating a setting to 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons" is specifically called out in the introduction.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hasbro's a big corporation though, so likely has its own rules that dictate that, unless it is an internal redeployment, the position has to be advertised, that at least three candidates have to be interviewed, etc., etc.

Hasbro will certainly have a lot of internal paperwork related to a new position (albeit maybe electronic paper). Formulating a business case. Deciding a salary range. Identifying infra-structure requirements (i.e. is there an office / desk-space free). Getting HR to sign-off on the position description. Identifying an interview panel. Getting approval from some higher level manager, etc., etc.

The post I was responding to was about laws. There are no laws. Individual policy is a different thing.

Secondly, all that hiring I spoke of was for a large corporation. 350,000 employees to be exact. And no, it’s not a ton of paperwork or nearly as complicated as you make it sound. In fact, the larger the company, the simpler and more streamlined the process is needed to be. When you’re hiring literally every day, you can’t have “a ton of paperwork” for each position. Either way, how much paperwork is needed for a job vacancy doesn’t have any impact on whether or not a job is posted internally or externally. I’ve been doing this for 20 years or so, and that’s a REALLY strange thing to think has much influence. It’s really a pretty easy process, and is usually handled at the dept or division level. Corporate has more important things to worry about than daily hiring logistics. Thats what dept managers are for, to make all those decisions you list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lehrbuch

First Post
Secondly, all that hiring I spoke of was for a large corporation. 350,000 employees to be exact. And no, it’s not a ton of paperwork or nearly as complicated as you make it sound. In fact, the larger the company, the simpler and more streamlined the process is needed to be. When you’re hiring literally every day, you can’t have “a ton of paperwork” for each position...It’s really a pretty easy process, and is usually handled at the dept or division level. Corporate has more important things to worry about than daily hiring logistics. Thats what dept managers are for, to make all those decisions you list.

I'm speaking from experience too. Also, I'm not suggesting that the CEO or someone like that is involved. Decisions are made at an appropriate level, but still recorded, and there is always a "streamlined" approval process to follow. Also, I'm not talking about the US, so maybe that makes a difference. As different jurisdictions presumably have different expectations about the extent that decisions around the job creation and appointment process must/should be discover-able by external arbitrators/ombudsmen/unions.

Either way, how much paperwork is needed for a job vacancy doesn’t have any impact on whether or not a job is posted internally or externally. I’ve been doing this for 20 years or so, and that’s a REALLY strange thing to think has much influence.

Oh, I certainly agree with that. The only thing that matters for that is whether or not there is likely a good internal candidate.

Remove ads

Remove ads