WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
Fair enough. You've explained yourself and I've explained myself, and it doesn't look like we're going to reach in a consensus. It happens.

For the record, I really don't think there's much daylight between our positions.

I was elaborating on how I imagine a candidate who has experienced discrimination in their personal life might bring that into an interview (or even include it as part of a cover letter), and not arguing that WotC should prefer candidates who have been discriminated against. If a candidate feels its part of their narrative then it is on them to share whatever they are comfortable sharing, not something WotC should be trying to tease out from them because I see that as inappropriate to the community of trust and understanding they are purporting to be recruiting said candidate to build.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I’m sure some do. My understanding is the departments in those lawsuits did away with the exam. Maybe I am wrong though?

Only the FD application exam was changed due to some physical requirements such as jumping, you still have to study to get all your certifications such as Firefighter 1, First Responder, Search and Rescue, etc., and there are exams.

Hussar

Legend
Religion/politics
I think this kind of Orwellian position is terrifying. The DIE religion really isn't great for business, in fact the company I'm working for recently gutted HR because of it.

Yeah, because cutesy rearranging letters is going to make your point so much better. Which company is that? I'd like to know because, well, it's very easy to make completely unsubstantiated claims. And, calling it "Orwellian"? Do you folks have a newsletter that you share around with checklists? Good grief I'm so tired of listening to the same tired old garbage arguments again and again.

Like I said to someone else earlier, how does it feel to know that you're on the wrong side of history? Not one single time in the past century has the conservative right been shown to be on the right side of history on social issues. Yet, you folks keep stepping up to the plate, over and over again. What kind of mindset does someone need to look at the past century or more of social issues in western countries and come to the conclusion that things don't need to change and that the status quo is acceptable? I'd really love to know.

dmgorgon

Explorer
Anti-inclusive content
Yeah, because cutesy rearranging letters is going to make your point so much better. Which company is that? I'd like to know because, well, it's very easy to make completely unsubstantiated claims. And, calling it "Orwellian"? Do you folks have a newsletter that you share around with checklists? Good grief I'm so tired of listening to the same tired old garbage arguments again and again.

Like I said to someone else earlier, how does it feel to know that you're on the wrong side of history? Not one single time in the past century has the conservative right been shown to be on the right side of history on social issues. Yet, you folks keep stepping up to the plate, over and over again. What kind of mindset does someone need to look at the past century or more of social issues in western countries and come to the conclusion that things don't need to change and that the status quo is acceptable? I'd really love to know.

There are many companies who are doing their best to rid themselves of these types of ideologies to various degrees. You don't see it yet, but it has already started. In fact, I think you will see a great divide in corporate policies across north america. Laws will be enacted on both sides of this issue and even more division will be sowed. Sadly, it really isn't going to end well. These are not issues that can be resolved with rational debate, because at this point even rational debate is considered a form of aggression/supremacy. There is no arguing with these people. You can't even use science to convince them otherwise. They are locked in completely and emotionally, which is why the term "DIE religion" is an apt term to describe it.

Now, if you are looking for examples of companies cleaning house look at what happened recently at Red Bull. They fired their diversity directors for pushing diversity. You can expect to see more of this over the next few years.

With that said, Is it not the self-righteous who are often on the wrong side of history? Hiding behind a cloak of righteous words and praises or even new dictionary definitions isn't going to help you either.

I do agree with Elon Musk though there are very intelligent people who have become infected with mind viruses / idea pathogens.

MGibster

Legend
I think this kind of Orwellian position is terrifying. The DIE religion really isn't great for business, in fact the company I'm working for recently gutted HR because of it.

I don't specialize in diversity, equity, and inclusion, but it's certainly been a hot topic in the field over the last few years and more recently many businesses has made it a priority. (Prior to the creation of BLM even.) Studies have shown that diversity is good for business in that it's good for recruitment, lowering turnover, improving employee engagement, and a variety of perspectives can lead to better problem-solving. Oh, and as a bonus, it just makes the company look better. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your HR department. But it wasn't because someone was trying to make your workplace more welcoming to a variety of people.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Like I said to someone else earlier, how does it feel to know that you're on the wrong side of history? Not one single time in the past century has the conservative right ....

Mod Note:

Great. Now I have to go through the last several pages, and ding each of you that's gone off into politics that has squat-all to do with RPGs. Good job!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
You can't even use science to convince them otherwise.
I would very much like to see the science behind not pushing for diversity, equity, or inclusion.
I would like to see the numbers that say this ruins companies and society to be more open.
I would also like to not be called "self righteous" for wanting other people to not be discriminated against.

Also, please don't take this into politics. Besides this not being politics, the line between here and there is very thin. This isn't a political discussion, and should not be one. This situation isn't "us versus them" it's "us moving forward".

Eric V

Hero
I would very much like to see the science behind not pushing for diversity, equity, or inclusion.
I would like to see the numbers that say this ruins companies and society to be more open.
I would also like to not be called "self righteous" for wanting other people to not be discriminated against.

Also, please don't take this into politics. Besides this not being politics, the line between here and there is very thin. This isn't a political discussion, and should not be one. This situation isn't "us versus them" it's "us moving forward".
I don't think he sees himself as part of the "us" moving forward...

Remove ads