WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
But I think WotC could have just sat on their hands and had this all blow over if they wanted to.

That is a terrible idea, because then they would be begging for it to happen again, and for them to be totally at fault. In risk management, it pays to be pro-active against future bad situations which can be avoided.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It was an honest and thoughtful reply. I think we just have different priorities here.
I mean, you didn't bother reading it well enough to distinguis between pretty clearly dileniated statements about; what wotc can get away with on a practical level, what wotc should be able to do legally IMO (which directly suggests a knowledge of what is legal, which you ignored to condescendingly explain something to me that I had already exhibited an understanding of), and what makes personal experience relevant to work in this case.

So, nah.

MGibster

Legend
I mean, you didn't bother reading it well enough to distinguis between pretty clearly dileniated statements about; what wotc can get away with on a practical level, what wotc should be able to do legally IMO (which directly suggests a knowledge of what is legal, which you ignored to condescendingly explain something to me that I had already exhibited an understanding of), and what makes personal experience relevant to work in this case.

So, nah.

I read what you wrote, understood it, and replied to what I thought the important parts were. It was not my intention to be condescending in any way and I apologize.

Last edited:

seebs

Adventurer
Experiencing discrimination or insensitive coworkers does not qualify a candidate for the position. What matters is their experience practicing conflict resolution and inclusion through their work experience. And we can go ahead and include volunteering as work experience.

Experiencing discrimination does not create complete qualification, but it's a very likely predictor for a deeper practical understanding of the nature of the problem. That said, it does run straight into the fact that all the ways you could find out about this are, almost definitionally, going to be protected categories one way or another.

I am not convinced that it is reasonable or sane to require that experience be "work experience", even "volunteering experience". What matters is whether you have spent time and effort doing the thing and getting good at it. If you did so in a capacity that isnt't work-like, but you still got the skills, that seems to me to count.

MGibster

Legend
I am not convinced that it is reasonable or sane to require that experience be "work experience", even "volunteering experience". What matters is whether you have spent time and effort doing the thing and getting good at it. If you did so in a capacity that isnt't work-like, but you still got the skills, that seems to me to count.

If this was an entry level position I think you'd have a valid point. I can't expect someone looking for their first programming job out of college to have a lot of professional programming experience. But this is a senior position requiring candidates to have seven years of progressive leadership experience in a business, marketing, or HR with success as a leader or sponsor of successful DE&I programs. You may not think it's reasonable or sane to require the experience be work related, but Wizard's sure seems to care as would any hiring manager. Without that seven years of experience with some of it in successful DE&I programs, a candidate would be rejected before an interview.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This level of skimming a post and replying only in the most useless, pedantic, and condescending, ways possible is just not something I have the energy to engage with. Good grief.

Mod Note:

Then don't engage with it. Because this is close to the line of insulting threadcrapping that earns a warning.

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
Anti-inclusive content. Just obnoxious. Don’t post in this thread again, please.
According to the link bellow WotC appears to be taking the first steps to make good on the promises they made in the last month, by offering a position in their management team focused in improving their internal policies.

So they are hiring black, LGBTQIAP and Asian people just because they are black, gay and Asian? Not saying that nobody is good at their job, but they're doing that for its own sake. Sounds like public school and recreation where they let people in not because they're good at what they do but because they had to reach a certain number of each race in the class. My mother used to teach ballet, she noticed that one person knew they couldn't be expelled because of their skin color, and they had to reach a quota. That girl was mean as can be!
Last edited: by a disgusting, hateful far-right racist and terrorist who seeks to undermine the world's social development at 6:20 PM

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
So they are hiring black, LGBTQIAP and Asian people jus because they are black, gay and Asian? Sounds like public school and recreation where they let people in not because they're good at what they do but because they had to reach a certain number of each race in the class.

Affirmative action has never worked like that. But I suspect that probably doesn't matter to you...

Just as I suspect you never read this thread before replying or you probably wouldn't have said this.

Remove ads