WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I don't think he sees himself as part of the "us" moving forward...

Because he is off in the weeds somewhere, business has been going this way for 20-30 years, all management has some diversity training, and HR is all about it also. If anything, WOTC looks behind the times in only having this hire now.

MGibster

Legend
Because he is off in the weeds somewhere, business has been going this way for 20-30 years, all management has some diversity training, and HR is all about it also. If anything, WOTC looks behind the times in only having this hire now.

Most HR departments don't have a manager DEI even ones as large as WotC. I work for a larger company and we don't have one either. You're more likely to see a company hire a DEI consultant/trainer to come in and help the company come up with a program and train their in-house HR. The fact that WotC is hiring someone for a full time tells me two things; they think they have a problem and they're willing to spend money to fix it.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Most HR departments don't have a manager DEI even ones as large as WotC. I work for a larger company and we don't have one either. You're more likely to see a company hire a DEI consultant/trainer to come in and help the company come up with a program and train their in-house HR. The fact that WotC is hiring someone for a full time tells me two things; they think they have a problem and they're willing to spend money to fix it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is good what WOTC is doing.

I think most HR departments have someone to wear the DEI hat w/title, and with certs in that direction. I got a degree in management (financial) back in 2013, and I had courses that included HR diversity units, of course it is constantly evolving.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There doesn't have to be a public announcement of specific criteria. But, yeah, you literally can't prove disparate impact when you hire just one person for a position that's never existed before.
Somewhat cynically (although I outright beleive that the fact you can’t make being part of a marginalized group a deciding factor between roughly equal candidates is a contributor in the continuance of systemic oppression) wotc could literally get away with straight up deciding (in secret) that the DEI manager will be a person of color, a woman or non binary person, and Queer if possible. I doubt they’ll do that, but the chances of anything happening to them for doing that are essentially zero.

Work experience is more relevant. Having been discriminated against in the past doesn't make one more likely to be better qualified for the HR DEI manager position.
Having worked to end systemic racism does. Having generational experience fighting systemic oppression literally does.
The idea that a Black person who has persued the learning and work experience necessary to qualify on paper for this job wouldn’t be a better candidate than a white person with the same basic work and education al qualifications is just absurd almost to the point of madness. The fact that wotc can’t just openly recognize that is idiotic.
I'm looking for concrete examples to show me why a candidate can meet the minimum qualifications for the position. The fact that this candidate was treated with insensitivity by a coworker doesn't tell me they're qualified for the position. The fact that this candidate values a community where all people feel safe to contribute does not tell me they're qualified for this position. But, how they handled the situation at work does give me an idea of whether or not they're qualified for the position.
You’re missing the point. Personal experience isn’t “was discriminated against”. Someone who has spent their whole life on the wrong end of systemic oppression has a fuller understanding of how bias and complacency contribute to discrimination and other issues relevant to DEI. An acedemic understanding is literally insufficient.

Olrox17

Hero
The fact that WotC is hiring someone for a full time tells me two things; they think they have a problem and they're willing to spend money to fix it.
Well, they could be going along with it just for PR reasons. I’m not saying this is what’s happening here, but I can’t discount the possibility.

MGibster

Legend
Somewhat cynically (although I outright beleive that the fact you can’t make being part of a marginalized group a deciding factor between roughly equal candidates is a contributor in the continuance of systemic oppression) wotc could literally get away with straight up deciding (in secret) that the DEI manager will be a person of color, a woman or non binary person, and Queer if possible. I doubt they’ll do that, but the chances of anything happening to them for doing that are essentially zero.

Whether the candidate is queer, non-binary, or whatever really shouldn't come up before or during the interview. Ideally the hiring manager wouldn't know what race an individual is before they walk through the door but that's becoming more difficult in the age of social media. WotC has also stated that they are an equal opportunity employer which means they committed to not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability,

The idea that a Black person who has persued the learning and work experience necessary to qualify on paper for this job wouldn’t be a better candidate than a white person with the same basic work and education al qualifications is just absurd almost to the point of madness. The fact that wotc can’t just openly recognize that is idiotic.

You might want to look up bona fide occupational qualification. If you can demonstrate that race is necessary to do the essential job functions of the position you're free to discriminate.

You’re missing the point. Personal experience isn’t “was discriminated against”. Someone who has spent their whole life on the wrong end of systemic oppression has a fuller understanding of how bias and complacency contribute to discrimination and other issues relevant to DEI. An acedemic understanding is literally insufficient.

No, I actually think you're missing the point.

WOTC Manager HR DEI Key Capabilities said:
  • Sophisticated consultative, mediation, and facilitation skills with the flexibility to adapt to the varying needs of stakeholders, and build trust with all parties.
  • Ability to handle complex DE&I issues with discretion, self-awareness and sound judgment to assist successful conflict resolution across all levels of the organization.
  • Strategic, data minded capabilities to quickly interpret & communicate key insights from diversity metrics, research & reporting - with business, financial and legal acuity.
  • Curiosity driven with a constant pulse on innovative market trends, industry news, and methodologies critical to inform strategy and enhance impact.
Not a single one of their key capabilities requires someone to be non-binary, queer, non-white, or to have been discriminated against.

MGibster

Legend
Well, they could be going along with it just for PR reasons. I’m not saying this is what’s happening here, but I can’t discount the possibility.

I wouldn't doubt if that was part of motivation. But I think WotC could have just sat on their hands and had this all blow over if they wanted to. I don't think the Orion Black situation would have had any measurable impact on sales nor do I think most of their customers are particularly concerned about it. I wonder how many are even aware.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Whether the candidate is queer, non-binary, or whatever really shouldn't come up before or during the interview. Ideally the hiring manager wouldn't know what race an individual is before they walk through the door but that's becoming more difficult in the age of social media. WotC has also stated that they are an equal opportunity employer which means they committed to not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability,

You might want to look up bona fide occupational qualification. If you can demonstrate that race is necessary to do the essential job functions of the position you're free to discriminate.

No, I actually think you're missing the point.

Not a single one of their key capabilities requires someone to be non-binary, queer, non-white, or to have been discriminated against.
This level of skimming a post and replying only in the most useless, pedantic, and condescending, ways possible is just not something I have the energy to engage with. Good grief.

Remove ads