WotC_PeterS talks about his "aggresive playtest" (with Le Rouse, SKR, & Noonan)

Brentos

First Post
Thank the Rouse!

Thanks Rouse!

(pictures scene from Babe II)

Seriously, thanks Scott, your attention and humor are always appreciated by this fan, and it makes a difference. I apologize for those that feel that they have been personally lied to and slighted that feel they need to attack you and the "faceless corporation!" <duh-duh-duh!>

Please remember, people, this is not the appropriate place to accuse others of lying, etc., but a good place to have concerns addressed and questions answered (or ignored if they can't be answered yet).

Thanks again Rouse!

nerfherder

Explorer
Wanderer20 said:
First of all, report everything you want.
Good advice - mods have often advised to report posts you think contravene the rules, but not to then discuss that any further in the thread.

Wanderer20 said:
Second, the "No plans for 4E" statements are not a joke or a forgery, at the point that a large number of people had the specific quotes in their signature in the WotC board; it is hard to believe you never saw any of them unless you did not read the abovementioned boards.
I'm curious to see a link to a statement made by a WotC employee that contradicts what Scott has written, because whenever one has been called for in the past it either never appears, or the quote, when taken in context, does nothing of the sort.

Wanderer20

First Post
Elrith said:
And if they hadn't said that, they might have lost their jobs. People who haven't been told to be careful with new products, or worked under NDAs should be very kind to those who do. Professional etiquette should prevent people from asking questions like "when is 5e coming" because there are probably a hundred questions we would all have to be evasive about. It is not an easy way to work. Especially when it's your passion.

A false statement is a false statement; no matter if done with easiness, with passion, or else.

If truth couldn't be told, question shouldn't have been answered.

At least, imo, if you don't want to build a bad reputation.

Wanderer20 said:
And by the way, as long as there are no insults or flames, you should respect the other guys' opinions and their right to write theirs.
But there were insults in your post. Opinions are welcome; insults and rudeness are not.

scrubkai

Explorer
Wanderer20 said:
First of all, report everything you want.

Second, the "No plans for 4E" statements are not a joke or a forgery, at the point that a large number of people had the specific quotes in their signature in the WotC board; it is hard to believe you never saw any of them unless you did not read the abovementioned boards.

There are no issues of mine. I'll repeat one significant quote: "We are not working on 4E"; if anyone reads that and thinks that playtesting it could be considered as not-working on it I think he must have big grammar issues.

If you get sick when you see a quote and written conclusions different from your point of view, prepare to be sick many times (at least in this board when the subject is WotC and 4E).

And by the way, as long as there are no insults or flames, you should respect the other guys' opinions and their right to write theirs.

I hate to ask you this, but have you never worked at a company that has a "Secret" project?

I work in software (as a consultant), and I've been on more then one project that all other people in my own company can know is "I work on a project called Harpoon for company <XXY>"
So I don't find it unreasonable that some people in WotC would be in the dark about 4th edition until very close to the release.

That is one problem with message boards, they get you some good information, but they also can give you some bad information due to people not knowing the full story of what's going on at a company.

If you are going to hold all of WotC accountable for somethign they said, then you need to use an offical press/marking release, otherwise you just have to assume people are speaking for themselves.

Just my 2cp

Wanderer20

First Post
nerfherder said:
Good advice - mods have often advised to report posts you think contravene the rules, but not to then discuss that any further in the thread.

I'm curious to see a link to a statement made by a WotC employee that contradicts what Scott has written, because whenever one has been called for in the past it either never appears, or the quote, when taken in context, does nothing of the sort.

You're welcome, I repeat, to report everything you consider a violation of the rules. I invite you to do it, so that by seeing I do not get blamed of anything, everyone can be sure my discussion is a civil one. (I saw 10 or so Moderators active in the forum 1 minute ago if I'm not wrong so hardly this discussion will be skipped).

I cannot provide a link to the specific quotes as I'm not a bookeeper (sp?) of 2005/2006 boards, but I can assure you the statements exist -if you want proof, read this board at the time 4E was announced and I'm sure you'll find the specific links, together with hundreds of guys debating upon them-.

Furthermore I'm curious too, to ask you if you ever read any of these statements -or their debating-, to come to question their very existance.

JohnSnow

Hero
nerfherder said:

Exactly what I was saying.

People bring this quote up as gospel without a citation. When a citation is found, it's invariably been proven that the statement has been taken out of context.

So Wanderer20, if I'm wrong: show me. Give me a citation from a WotC employee that says precisely what you're saying they said, and I'll apologize for calling you out.

And I'll also refer you to Elrith's post on the things people HAVE to say to keep their jobs.

Moreover, I'd ask this. At what point does internal playtesting move from "playtesting revisions to 3e" to "playtesting 4e." I'd say: at the point at which the decision is made to release 4e - even if the system in question has been in the works for 3 years. Based on comments in Races & Classes, they were playtesting at least two different 3e revisions. And that's part of their job as game designers: to constantly make D&D better.

Basically, I guess I just don't get people being cheesed off at WotC for not divulging their product strategy years in advance.

Wanderer20

First Post
JohnSnow said:
People bring this quote up as gospel without a citation. When a citation is found, it's invariably been proven that the statement has been taken out of context.

So Wanderer20, if I'm wrong: show me. Give me a citation from a WotC employee that says precisely what you're saying they said, and I'll apologize for calling you out.

Basically, I guess I just don't get people being cheesed off at WotC for not divulging their product strategy years in advance.

I repeat, I'm not a librarian nor I have the "search" function in this forum, but I'm going to try to make a little search now in some boards. (though other more competent users could find more)

No need to apologize, not even if I can produce a link, since I cannot just believe you've never read what I was talking about; it was overdebated, everyone had a blink on it if he read this board with your frequence.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Wanderer20 said:
You're welcome, I repeat, to report everything you consider a violation of the rules. I invite you to do it, so that by seeing I do not get blamed of anything, everyone can be sure my discussion is a civil one. (I saw 10 or so Moderators active in the forum 1 minute ago if I'm not wrong so hardly this discussion will be skipped).

You're right, it isn't being skipped.

After you said

Wanderer20 said:
Funny. After they told us for years "There is no 4E" and similar crap, now we learn they *would* have been playtesting it from 2006?

Your company would do well to quit spreading bs and other undemonstrable statements; one reason why people have serious doubts about new products while you are repeating "it is all perfect!" over and over again is that you lied too much, too many times.

No need for a genius when you say "We have no plans for 4E" and "We was playtesting 4E from 2006" to see you are not trustworthy.

I was ready to give you the boot for clearly insulting behaviour, just after I'd already warned someone else, but John Snow made some good points to you and I was prepared to wait and see whether you were maybe having an off-moment, and you'd join in the civil discussion which other people are having here.

Unfortunately this has not been the case, and as a result I'm suspending you for 3 days.

Please feel free to email me if you don't understand why.

Regards,

Here's a thread I started back in August about some claims made about quotes from WotC.

http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/t-204662.html

Here is the context someone found for that "not working on D&D" quote (check the link above for more detail):

"They were not working on 4th Edition .. that would force players to use miniatures."

Edit: Sorry mods, didn't see suspension post before replying. But the above is useful by itself, not only as a reply to a specific poster.

Remove ads