• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC_Rodney...Chris Perkins...a black dragon...a playtest

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
WotC_Rodney seems to have Chris Perkins as a DM, and Black Dragons seem to be in all these play-tests.

Chris Perkins hates our gaming group Posted By: WotC_Rodney, 1/31/2008 9:09:27 PM

K, so the title is misleading. We had a really wild session last night, and I've just got to write about it. Things started out with the party divided into two groups. My group had gotten teleported halfway across the island we many miles away from the other group, who was still stuck in an ancient Yuan-Ti temple. While my group fought for our lives against giant beetles in a lichen-infested pit, the other group was riding down through the mines on a mine cart. There was about a 20-minute span of the game where the tiefling warlock, the human fighter, and the dragonborn warlord were careening through the tunnels, dodging giant bats and nearly getting themselves killed.

The real excitement came when we faced off against a large black dragon. It was our first solo fight of the campaign, and holy crap was it hard. Granted, it was a bit higher level than us, but it was a really, really tough and long fight. Probably laster over 10 rounds, and it was an...interesting experience. I got off a ray of enfeeblement at the beginning of the fight, but that didn't help us for long as the dragon started tearing into us. Even with 7 heroes the fight was a struggle.

It brought up some interesting issues with some recent changes to the fighter class, especially in regards to how well it played with the ranger and the rogue. It actually led to a long...discussion.. .today in the development pit about the way the way those mechanics work, and it was pretty amusing seeing the way things shook out.

Next week: level 5!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
mhensley said:
So when did lichen become dangerous? Or is there some lichen monster I'm not familiar with?
Maybe he's talking about undead and doesn't know the correct plural for lich...

Y'think?

Jack99

Adventurer
Fifth Element said:
I'm guessing it was a terrain feature? Maybe made movement more difficult?

Could be fluff. Lichen aren't really dangerous afaik, but quite disgusting... /shrug

Grymar

Explorer
It is interesting to see that there are still some significant fighter abilities at low levels (4?) that are causing major arguments. They are running out of time to get this stuff figured out.

Pinotage

Explorer
Fifth Element said:
I'm guessing it was a terrain feature? Maybe made movement more difficult?

Or something that put the beetles into some sort of feeding frenzy, perhaps?

It's good to see these playtests still having a positive effect on the design of the game.

Pinotage

RodneyThompson

First Post
mhensley said:
So when did lichen become dangerous? Or is there some lichen monster I'm not familiar with?

Man, everything is dangerous in a Chris Perkins campaign.

Best quote of the night:

Warlord: Use the brakes!
Warlock: Wait, this thing has brakes?

TheSeer

First Post
Grymar said:
It is interesting to see that there are still some significant fighter abilities at low levels (4?) that are causing major arguments. They are running out of time to get this stuff figured out.

Maybe it's less having trouble with the class as opposed to players. As in the fighter player thinks he should be doing this and the ranger and rogue are doing their own thing which is causing problems and that discussion he mentioned.

Grymar

Explorer
TheSeer said:
Maybe it's less having trouble with the class as opposed to players. As in the fighter player thinks he should be doing this and the ranger and rogue are doing their own thing which is causing problems and that discussion he mentioned.

Excellent point. It could very well be a conflict of "roles" rather than mechanics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads