WotC's Annual Xmas Layoffs

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I'll let this argument rest in peace, as we obviously have differing views of the matter and nobody is like to persuade the other side.

Only that your last paragraph shows that I apparently didn't express myself clear enough:

But that wasn't what it was about. And, frankly, when you suggest that not moving to game that advertises itself this way is a marker of "maturity", then that challenges your claim of being ok with other points of view.

I wanted to say that I assume roleplayers to be mature or maybe educated enough (being a non-native speaker I might have picked the wrong word) to see beyond the printed words, to not transfer the expression "... isn't fun ..." to "you aren't allowed to have fun", and to transgress any perceived limitation. Thus, I can't imagine Wyatt's words to abhor the average roleplayer so much.

If any single roleplayer decides to let him be influenced in such a way or react by turning away from 4e for good, I won't understand it, but I never would call him immature for it. My intention was to underline my doubts that those words would have such an effect on a large scale.

It wasn't just those specific words it was also all the other words in the DMG and the overall system. It just seemed like a game built around encounters with GM advice that focused on a more narrow style of play. In my opinion this started during 3e. I definitely remember structuring adventures around encounters being present in that edition as well.

Blastin

First Post
guys....I thought I clicked on the "WotC layoff" thread....not the "what I see wrong with 4e" Thread. I get that the veer into 4e complaints started from the observation that James is still employed while others have been let go. But I think that point has been made and has now...been expanded.
Not that I don't enjoy parsing quotes for perceived insults as much as anyone on the internet, but can we move past it or at least take it to another thread?

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
guys....I thought I clicked on the "WotC layoff" thread....not the "what I see wrong with 4e" Thread. I get that the veer into 4e complaints started from the observation that James is still employed while others have been let go. But I think that point has been made and has now...been expanded.
Not that I don't enjoy parsing quotes for perceived insults as much as anyone on the internet, but can we move past it or at least take it to another thread?
You've been around here long enough that you should know by now any discussion in 'General' relating to WotC and what they're up to these days will inevitably degenerate into folks with a bone to pick against Wizards or 4e taking a shot at tearing them down. It's like a sport, but less productive.

pemerton

Legend
I really think you are reaching here. He says point blank an encounter with two guards isn't fun.
He says "An encounter with two guards at the city gate isn’t fun." I think the intention of this is pretty clear - don't make the players roleplay through every piece of minutiae their PCs are engaged in.

You may or may not like the advice, for RPGing in general or for D&D in particular, but I think the advice is pretty clear. And my personal view is that RPGing wouldn't be ruined if no more GMs made their players play through these sorts of non-dramatic scenes.

Doesn't qualify the statement at all.
The qualification is on page 9 of the PHB, as I quoted upthread. If the players want to talk to the guards, then we have a noncombat encounter. The GM isn't given especially good advice on how to handle it (ie the skill challenge guidelines are poorly written, inexcusably so in my view given that the Maelstrom rulebooks, to give one example, predates 4e by 10 years or so), but that's a different matter.

The big problem I have with the advice is it fails to acknowledge and describe the range of styles out there. It settles on a narrow approach to the game. Personally I think Wyatts words stand as some of the worst ever written for D&D.
I'm happy to put up some other entrants in that race: most of Gygax's advice about alignment and clerics in the DMG, for example; also, his advice on dealing with troublesome players (ethereal mummies, bolts of lightning from the heavens); also, his discussion of managing ingame time in the DMG; also, his characterisation of skilled play in the DMG and PHB, which sees its apotheosis in "flying thief on a rope, bomb-disposal-squad" play of the sort currently being discussed in the Tomb of Horrors thread; and various monsters in the Fiend Folio (Hound of Ill Omen, Aleax) which are essentially ingame sublimations of metagame disputes between GMs and players over alignment.

These all (i) fail to acknowledge a range of styles, (ii) settle on narrow (and, as far as alignment is concerned, in my view dysfunctional) approaches to the game, and (iii) in my experience have done far more damage to RPGing over the years than has what Wyatt said in his DMG.

pemerton

Legend
I don't recall any AD&D advice saying that talking to the guards "is not fun". That is the issue being dodged here.
No. It had advice talking about what "skilled players" do: for example, they plan their mission in advance of the session, organise the equipment they will need in advance of the session, choose suitable PCs out of a stable of PCs in advance of the session, and then actually undertake the session in "operational" fashion, with a caller, a main mapper with a couple of backup mappers, etc.

I've GMed and played a lot of AD&D, but never a session in which these things were done. The implication being, I guess, that I and those I played with are not skilled.

AD&D may have been a broad church in play. It is not a very broad church in its text.

It wasn't just those specific words it was also all the other words in the DMG and the overall system. It just seemed like a game built around encounters with GM advice that focused on a more narrow style of play.
Yes. It is a game built around encounters. It doesn't hide that fact, it advertises it.

AD&D has equally narrow advice, for a game built around operational play focused on the "skillful" exploration and looting of dungeons. If you want to run a situation-based, player-driven, story-generating game (say of the sort that Burning Wheel might be expected to generate if played in its default style), you won't find helpful advice in the AD&D books.

This isn't a criticism of AD&D. It's just a fairly basic point - that 4e is not unique in D&D editions in presenting a certain way of playing the game. It's just different from much of what came before.

I've always gotten the sense that that point that was trying to be made was more, "Bypass mundane encounters. This doesn't mean you can't have an engaging discussion with gate guards or the like, but if you have a scene without any conflict and with the players not interested in it, its ok to fast-forward through it."

But that point wasn't exactly elegantly expressed and produced a lot of lines that sounded all the worse out of context.
I think putting so much focus on two specific sentences, and ignoring dozens of other pages of advice in the book - and other sources - is a bit much.
Agreed (but can't XP you at this time). The rest of the DMG, plus the PHB, provide plenty of context to (in my view) make the meaning clear.

You description of what makes for a good game is all well and good. Take the words in question and put them in front of 1,000 random people and then have a poll. Your interpretation won't come close to being the conclusion of what was said.
Perhaps. Although the relevant sample wouldn't be 1,000 random people, would it, but 1,000 actual or potential players of D&D.

Here is another quote from Wyatt's DMG (p 103):

You should allow and even encourage players to come up with their own quests that are tied to their individual goals or specific circumstances in the adventure. Evaluate the proposed quest and assign it a level. Remember to say yes as often as possible!​

Again, there are criticisms to be made. For example, player-designed quests are likely to produce the need for improvised encounters, and while I think 4e can handle these fine there is little advice in the DMG on how to do this.

Nevertheless, when I look at 4e vs PF and it's adventure paths, I don't think "How could WotC have made such outrageous suggestions about how to play the game!"

Instead, I think "Who would have thought that pre-packaged plots, in which the main way players can introduce their own priorities (mostly colour) into the game is by having essentially meaningless interactions with bit NPCs like two guards at the city gate, would turn out to be more popular than a game aimed at player-driven, situation-focused play, where the players don't need to introduce colour through meaningless interactions because they are driving the encounters which are dripping with colour as well as meaning?"

I'm happy to accept that WotC, with its access to market research, should have known better than just to follow along with Ron Edwards' intuitions. But I nevertheless feel the force of the intuitions, and find their refutation by experience fairly surprising.

Maybe if WotC had produced better advice in the DMG (drawing on the available examples like Maesltrom, HeroWars etc) or produced adventure supplements that exemplified, rather than contradicted, their own advice (like player-driven quests and avoiding meaningless encounters), 4e would have been more popular. But my overall impression of the response to the game, reinforced by what some posters in this thread are saying, is that those sorts of improvements wouldn't have addressed the underlying issue.

We give Gygax slack because he was the first (and despite the bad advice there are gems in the original DMG). But IMO D&D isn't all about going from one encounter to the next. Do I want them to include obscure things like GNS theory ? No. But I do want them to talk about investigation, roleplay heavy adventures, combat light campaigns, political intrigue campaigns, etc.

On Wyatt I still think your reaching, you are contextualizing his statement by bringing in text from the PHB.

You know what, you are 100% right. Not sure how we got here but there must be at least five active threads better suited to this topic.

S'mon

Legend
Well, in this gamer, and former WotC's customer's case, it certainly helped drive me away. Would a single WotC employee's comments do that? No, but combined with the whole, it was pretty clear that what WotC envisioned for the game was not where my players and I wanted to be.

AIR Wyatt's on 'fun' was one of the factors that deterred me from running or playing 4e between my purchase of the core books in June 2008 and my first playing 4e in June 2009. My finding the 4e PHB indecipherable was a bigger factor, though.

Ironically, I now prefer the PHB to Essentials format - as a reference book, it's well done. As an instruction manual though I found it terrible.

Remove ads