D&D 5E Would you like a 5e video game akin to Neverwinter Nights & Neverwinter Nights 2?

Would you like a video game?

• Yes, I would like a 5e video game similar to Neverwinter Nights style.

Votes: 93 73.8%
  • Yes, I would like a 5e video game, but with a different style.

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • No, I do not want a 5e video game.

Votes: 7 5.6%

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Is this not what the Sword Coast Legends game is?

No.

Sword Coast Legends is an action RPG with real time combat that uses countdown timers for combat and skill trees for power progression. If you aren't sure what that means, it means it plays like Diablo 3 or WoW.

NWN(2), was basically the d20 system ported into a video game. If you know how to play one, you more or less know how to play the other.

Last edited:

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
No.

Sword Coast Legends is an action RPG with real time combat that uses countdown timers for combat and skill trees for power progression. If you aren't sure what that means, it means it plays like Diablo or WoW.

NWN(2), was basically the d20 system ported into a video game. If you know how to play one, you more or less know how to play the other.

Diablo and WoW don't play anything the same. Diablo is an isometric brawler, Warcraft's a single person type dealio. I mean, I guess if you're considering them being realtime and 'the same' that counts, but then you're also saying Mario and Sonic play the same as Diablo and WoW

(Except the Rabids Mario game which is turn based)

Also worth noting is modability. Neverwinter Nights was extremely able to be modified. You want some weird bizarre creature that doesn't exist in D&D? Great, you can make it! I've got everything from Animentals to Zombie, Dragon in the game thanks to custom content

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Diablo and WoW don't play anything the same. Diablo is an isometric brawler, Warcraft's a single person type dealio.

My mistake, I meant to type "Diablo 3."

However WoW is an MMO. Which is not a single person game by definition. "Warcraft", which you seem to be thinking of, is a totally different game that is an RTS.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
My mistake, I meant to type "Diablo 3."

However WoW is an MMO. Which is not a single person game by definition. "Warcraft", which you seem to be thinking of, is a totally different game that is an RTS.

Warcraft's another shorthand for WoW. If I wanted to mention Warcraft 1, I'd say Warcraft 1 :p

They're still very different games in how they play

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
They're still very different games in how they play

The main difference is the scale of operations. A co-op game has a different scale than a 25 man raid, yes. But they are not as dissimilar as you are implying. They have even shared the same development teams, who recycled many ideas between the two of them. So such an overlap is to be expected.

However, none of that is important for this conversation.

They both have skill trees, they both have real time combat abilities with cooldown timers. The point wasn't to say they are the same game, but to point out where someone might have played a game with those mechanics.

Seriously, it's like arguing Old Maid is totally different from Go Fish, when discussing card games that require you to blindly draw cards from other peoples hands in order to make matching sets.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Divinity Original Sin 2 is a worthy successors to NWN. Sure, under the hood it doesn't use the D&D system, but it still works on the basis of hit points, armour, weapon damage and the like. It also has a DM (GM?) mode with is fairly flexible.

Sword Coast Legends was an abomination.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I'd prefer it be more in the spirit of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 rather than Neverwinter Nights.

BG 1 & 2 are all-time classics. NWN 1 & 2 are interesting toolsets bundled with mediocre games (though I heard good things about Mask of the Betrayer).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One of the cornerstones of D&D to me is party-based. No one character should be able to cover the full range. This was my biggest problem with NWN - it was you and one companion (I think 2 in some expansions).

I'd love a 5e-mechanics turn-based-combat game where you control a whole party, like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. Pillars of Eternity was great though not D&D mechanics, and I pledged the KS for the sequel.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I’d prefer a 5e game that emulates the Temple of Elemental Evil 3e video game. Fully patched by the Circle of Eight version of course. Man, that game was fun.

Remove ads