D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything...

Ninja-radish

First Post
I have a number of issues with 5E personally, but it's ridiculous to say that it hasn't been a commercial and critical success. I'm not a huge fan of the system and I only play it because my group wants to play it, but I'd never say that it's a failure or that 6E is just around the corner. Those are obviously untrue statements.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Just noticed that the Inquisitive and Horizon Walker were both confirmed as part of this book. Combined with the fact that the next Artificer and Mystic revision on the DM's Guild will be AL legal, what are the odds this opens up a few new campaign settings (Eberron and Planescape, specifically) on the DM's Guild finally? Low, but nonzero, right? Or am I just getting my hopes up too much?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Just noticed that the Inquisitive and Horizon Walker were both confirmed as part of this book. Combined with the fact that the next Artificer and Mystic revision on the DM's Guild will be AL legal, what are the odds this opens up a few new campaign settings (Eberron and Planescape, specifically) on the DM's Guild finally? Low, but nonzero, right? Or am I just getting my hopes up too much?

I wouldn't expect anything over the next 12 months on that score. Instead, look to see what the autumn 2018 crunch book is going to be. If it's a 'manual of the planes' type of book (and the mystic and artificer appear in it and are specifically mentioned as primarily used in Athas and Eberron)... that's the point where the DMsG might open up to other settings. But even then, that's no guarantee.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
With online game possible along with offline gaming, the hobby is looking fantastic. 5E is a very good product and a really nice nod to 1E, just have to dump the dragonborne, teiflings, Drow PC types along with the Warlock class plus make Pally's Human and LG and you have a very close version of 1E AD&D.

I haven't gotten to actually play in years but I am very glad to see the hobby doing so well.

Planescape is like Ravenloft in that you can get there from the FR without undue narrative difficulty. As such it is possible that it could be the basis of spring 2018's AP. Possible isn't the same thing as likely, though, so I don't know how much hope I would have. I tend to agree with DEFCON 1, that a manual of the planes/heroes of the multiverse book in fall/winter 2018 is more likely a way for the DM's guild to open up additional settings.

Soul Stigma

First Post
Every change brings out the Chicken Littles, but 5E is strong stuff and I'm loving it. I had lost faith in D&D, for the most part, starting with 3rd. I ran some of it anyway, as I did with 4e, in spite of immediately being repulsed by the WoW artwork, etc.

At any rate, 5E renewed faith for me.

Remove ads