• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Healing Spirit is 10d6 healing to the whole party out of combat?

Bardbarian

First Post
You guys are having two completely separate conversations and confusing the two.
The first is "is HS braking games?"
The second is "is HS better than PoH"
They are not the same thing.
Is HS breaking games? is a discussion about the impact of play the one spell has. The existence ot PoH is irrelevant to the actual impact of the spell on how narrative and mechanics fit together. It is entirely possible to have this discussion without the existence of PoH.

Is HS better than PoH? this is an entirely separate question that asks which of the two spells is better. this is not a very contorvercial question, however, The real discussion shoud be is HS too strong, or is PoH too weak. Just because you are used to PoH from the oast few years as the available option does not mean itt is the correct version. PoH may have been too weak and the addition of another slow healing method may have been a nudge in the right direction. This may also be a class balance tweak by allowing two under played classes (Druid and Ranger) a niche healing option, this may have been an attempt to address their popularity. I expect some aspects of the game dynamic to change after a few years to represent the experience of players at the table as opposed to a smaller fraction of the population that exists within the playtest sphere.

Zmajdusa

First Post
If you can can get a place to cast a spell with a 10 minute casting time, you could probably do a short rest. Short rests can recharge a great deal more than just hit points depending on your classes, and depending on your party make up, could easily out do a PoH. So is Healing Spirit broken, only Adventure League will ever give the community an official answer. Everthing else is dependent on DM running styles and preferences. Some DMs will think it is broken, others won't, and some just won't care.

Is HS better than PoH? this is an entirely separate question that asks which of the two spells is better. this is not a very contorvercial question, however, The real discussion shoud be is HS too strong, or is PoH too weak. Just because you are used to PoH from the oast few years as the available option does not mean itt is the correct version. PoH may have been too weak and the addition of another slow healing method may have been a nudge in the right direction.
Prayer of Healing is already very strong, compared to its alternative (Cure Wounds); it's only balanced by its long casting time. Given that, since Healing Spirit is significantly stronger than Prayer of Healing - and lacks the casting time as a balancing factor - that means Healing Spirit is probably overpowered.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Prayer of Healing is already very strong, compared to its alternative (Cure Wounds); it's only balanced by its long casting time. Given that, since Healing Spirit is significantly stronger than Prayer of Healing - and lacks the casting time as a balancing factor - that means Healing Spirit is probably overpowered.

I'd start off the other way. Prayer of healing is very underpowered primarily due to its casting time. That doesn't mean healing spirit isn't overpowered mind you. But I don't think prayer of healing is the correct starting point for a strong level 2 healing spell.

I'd start off the other way. Prayer of healing is very underpowered primarily due to its casting time. That doesn't mean healing spirit isn't overpowered mind you. But I don't think prayer of healing is the correct starting point for a strong level 2 healing spell.
The only other reference point that we have for a level 2 healing spell is Cure Wounds II, which heals ~13 points over the course of one round. I mean, right? If you're not comparing against either of those, then what are you comparing against?

Cure Wounds II gives 13 healing over the course 1 round.
Prayer of Healing II gives up to 78 healing over the course of 100 rounds.

Those are the two data points that we have to work with. If Healing Spirit works over the course of 10 rounds, and it heals less than 13 or more than 78, then it's out of line with what is reasonable for a level 2 healing spell. If you limit it to healing one person per round, then that makes it 35 healing over the course of 10 rounds, which is about what we would expect.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The only other reference point that we have for a level 2 healing spell is Cure Wounds II, which heals ~13 points over the course of one round. I mean, right? If you're not comparing against either of those, then what are you comparing against?

Cure Wounds II gives 13 healing over the course 1 round.
Prayer of Healing II gives up to 78 healing over the course of 100 rounds.

Those are the two data points that we have to work with. If Healing Spirit works over the course of 10 rounds, and it heals less than 13 or more than 78, then it's out of line with what is reasonable for a level 2 healing spell. If you limit it to healing one person per round, then that makes it 35 healing over the course of 10 rounds, which is about what we would expect.

All that means nothing if you consider prayer of healing as underpowered which was the very first premise of my last post.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads