D&D 5E XGTE Errata

jgsugden

Legend
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]: I think the main concern people have is that it stomps all over prayer of healing.

EDIT: Out of combat, healing spirit can heal up to 35 (10d6) hit points per PC at its base level. Prayer of healing, however, can only heal 9-14 (2d8 + 1-5) per PC, with a limit of six PCs in total. Both are 2nd level spells.
There are plenty of inefficient spells that have an essentially stronger version at the same level, especially when you look at the inverse of healing - damage spells.

I don't care that a spell is essentially pareto optimal to another spell - that doesn't make either spell too powerful. I care that the spell doesn't make the game 'unfun'. Using a second level spell to heal the entire party to full hps is not overpowered in my book.

Nevvur

Explorer
[MENTION=6783882]Nevvur[/MENTION]: I hyperlinked all the answers, which got rid of the green text. I hope that's OK.

Jeremy says they've found (and fixed) three errors so far, and he's got his eye on a fourth (see below). I've added the other one (mind spike), plus my question about the Second Chance feat to the original post.

Jeremy Crawford says he's keeping his eye on it and will change it if it becomes an actual problem in play (vs a theoretical one).

Yes, I noticed! I had been thinking of doing that exact thing, but laziness.

pukunui

Legend
There are plenty of inefficient spells that have an essentially stronger version at the same level, especially when you look at the inverse of healing - damage spells.

I don't care that a spell is essentially pareto optimal to another spell - that doesn't make either spell too powerful. I care that the spell doesn't make the game 'unfun'. Using a second level spell to heal the entire party to full hps is not overpowered in my book.
I guess. I'm just telling you what other people have been saying.

CapnZapp

Legend
Out of combat healing as a serious balance concern? We truly have seen everything.

Option 1: Heal the party entirely using no spell slots, but requiring an hour of rest and using up the limited resource of the hit dice.
Option 2: Use a 2nd level spell to heal the party entirely in 1 minute outside combat without the hit dice being used.

Pretty comparable.

What the frak?

Option 1 uses up hit dice, and takes a whole hour.

Option 2 takes a minute and is next to limitless (just a 2nd level slot).

I'm not saying it's broken but I AM saying you're not for real if you think that's comparable.

What's

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

5ekyu

Hero
Regarding balance or nor for the druid spell, it really depends on how important you feel the wear down of resources to be on an overall day basis.

Someone compared it to the whole party spending hit die after an hour short rest.

If you assume an average pc with d8+2 HD that's 5th level more or less to be able to burn all their HD in an hour to equal one 2nd level cast in a minute. Of course key is burn a 3rd level slot and you double the heal, which matters more at say 10th.

If you don't believe HP wear down is supposed to be a thing or that short rest time delay to recover is a valuable tool to have in the toolbox, this won't seem imbalanced or a concern.

But if you do, the escalation of post combat mass healing this new spell brings really does change that dynamic quite a bit.

And on top of that it even does provide a nice interesting in combat option too.

To me, in combat seems on par and nice and different with other options. Its OOC is way off that.

But maybe that is the goal of the designers. To reset the between combat healing rates to a higher level because they have seen the need for more resource return between combats in an adventuring day in a big way.

Either way, its impact will not be the same for every campaign since not every campaign has the same adventuring day structure.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

DaveDash

Explorer

There's a difference between 'inefficient' spells and completely breaking parts of the game.

This spell trivialises the entire healing hit dice mechanic. Prayer of healing was already a very good healing spell, and this blows it entirely out of the water.
It's broken out of combat, plain and simple. I won't be allowing it as written at my table. It only functions in combat and the spirits disappear when the combat round is over.

I understand though that it doesn't NEED errata and I am fine with that, just like other spells like Simulacrum and Leomund's Tiny Hut can also be abused, and they don't really need errata either, just some DM common sense is enough.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Has anyone noticed or asked about the weirdness of the Samurai and Cavalier? I'm borrowing a PDF of the limited edition until my non-limited copy comes in next week, so that might have something to do with it, but both of them have their level 3 abilities refreshing only on a long rest.

That would make them the only two fighter subclasses with a long rest only mechanic... and that doesn't feel like that should be the case to me, their abilities are no where near that powerful

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=6801228]Chaosmancer[/MENTION]: I'm pretty sure someone asked Jeremy about that on Twitter and he said it was intentional. Can't confirm at the moment, though.

Remove ads