Yawning Portal's Disclaimer; Plus New Monsters

As always with D&D 5th Edition books, Tales from the Yawning Portal has a humourous disclaimer at the front. Here's a quick peek at it (courtesy of Shane Plays). Plus read on for the list of new monsters in the book!

As always with D&D 5th Edition books, Tales from the Yawning Portal has a humourous disclaimer at the front. Here's a quick peek at it (courtesy of Shane Plays). Plus read on for the list of new monsters in the book!

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

C7pNrHJXQAE3hZQ.jpg

Additionally, as an added bonus, CAFRedblade over on the Yawning Portal art direction thread, posted the Appendix B monster list:
Animated Table
Barghest
Centaur Mummy
Champion
Choker
Conjurer
Deathlok Wight
Dread Warrior
Duergar Spy
Enchanter
Evoker
Giant Crayfish
Giant Ice Toad
Giant Lightning Eel
Giant Skeleton
Giant Subterranean Lizard
Greater Zombie
Illusionist
Kalka-Kylia
Kelpie
Leucrotta
Malformed Kraken
Martial Arts Adept
Nereid
Necromancer
Ooze Master
Sea Lion
Sharwyn Hucrele
Sir Braford
Siren
Tarul Var
Tecuziztecatl
Thayan Apprentice
Thayan Warrior
Thorn Slinger
Transmuter
Vampiric Mist
White Maw
and
Yusdrayl

SaveSave

WackyAnne

First Post
Yes! The return of the Giant Crayfish!!!! :D:D:D

I have loved those things since 1st Ed... Or was it BECMI that had one in a module? I only remember that I got epically curb-stomped by one somewhere, lol.

The entry says that the Giant Crayfish was found in both Hidden Shrine and White Plume Mountain…don't know whether a BECMI module had one as well.

Looks like the Book Depository's finally lost the plot. They're asking NZ$101.77 (US$71.60) for Tales from the Yawning Portal! Talk about price gouging. I might have to order from Amazon instead for once. (Usually the added shipping from Amazon makes the Book Depository's prices cheaper but definitely not this time ... With the current pre-order price, buying it from Amazon, with shipping, will only come to about NZ$70 for me.)

And bookdepository is owned by Amazon, which makes it even more weird.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yes! The return of the Giant Crayfish!!!! :D:D:D

I have loved those things since 1st Ed... Or was it BECMI that had one in a module? I only remember that I got epically curb-stomped by one somewhere, lol.

Ah yes, Sirhc the Mighty fell to one of those devil beasts!!!!

For anyone who has the book ( I can't get to my regular early release FLGS in Phoenix as I'm in Albuquerque for two weeks and the store I found here didn't have it in stock), is the "siren" listed in the monster section an updated sirine from previous editions (sea-based fey with charm abilities) with a new spelling or something new entirely?

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
For anyone who has the book ( I can't get to my regular early release FLGS in Phoenix as I'm in Albuquerque for two weeks and the store I found here didn't have it in stock), is the "siren" listed in the monster section an updated sirine from previous editions (sea-based fey with charm abilities) with a new spelling or something new entirely?

It looks to me like an update form previous editions. CG Amphibious Fey with innate spellcasting (charm) and a stupeying touch)...

pukunui

Legend
... is the "siren" listed in the monster section an updated sirine from previous editions (sea-based fey with charm abilities) with a new spelling or something new entirely?
It's not actually a monster but a named NPC. She is a "mysterious fey creature" who "serves as evidence of Acererak's heartless sense of humor", encountered in the Tomb of Horrors.

EDIT: It's possible you could use her as an example of a generic siren or sirene. She has an aquatic theme, with the Amphibious trait and a swim speed. She's also got Innate Spellcasting and Magic Resistance, a shortsword attack, and Stupefying Touch action that can be used to stun creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's not actually a monster but a named NPC. She is a "mysterious fey creature" who "serves as evidence of Acererak's heartless sense of humor", encountered in the Tomb of Horrors.

EDIT: It's possible you could use her as an example of a generic siren or sirene. She has an aquatic theme, with the Amphibious trait and a swim speed. She's also got Innate Spellcasting and Magic Resistance, a shortsword attack, and Stupefying Touch action that can be used to stun creatures.
Which is pretty much the classic sirine (assuming, as others have said the innate spellcasting are charm spells). What's her CR?

Remove ads

Remove ads