• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You are using Bonetti's Defense against me, ah?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I taught a fencing class for years and one of my older students told me about a game called En-Garde that did something like this. It's not the board game from the 90's, but an older rpg, though I never looked into it.

I used to play en garde. It didn't really allow the kind of thing the OP is after, but it did allow you to slash, thrust etc with your weapon, and different weapons had somewhat different capabilities.

Cheers

S'mon

Legend
I'd like to think I'm using my Intelligence in all combats, but maybe that's not true.

The empirical studies I've looked at (years ago) AIR showed a very strong correlation between measured IQ and combat ability. It's strongest for complex stuff like aerial dogfighting, but still strong for all types of combat. Reaction speed* - initiative - in particular correlated very strongly with IQ. This is one reason the US military uses an IQ test (the AFQT) and only accepts reasonably intelligent applicants, low IQ is a big hazard both for getting killed and for getting your allies killed.

*Speed to start moving correlated closely to IQ. Speed once moving was more about fast-twitch muscle mass and what D&D would class as Dexterity.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
Again, the game I have created uses Intelligence and Agility (2 separate abilities) for initiative.

Thus how quick your character can think on his or her toes, and then how he or she can act on them.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Frank Brunner's Spellbound Kingdoms should be conceptually able to do this.

Combat is based on style sheets which enable you to use sequences of maneuvers. Advanced moves and attacks or defenses can be used only when you prepare them successfully - which gives your opponents the option to foresee it and take countermeasures.

Last edited:

DrunkonDuty

he/him
HERO system can do this. The martial arts supplement covers Fencing. And there's the Analyse Style Skill that let's you find a weakness in the opponenet's style. Of course this requires the GM to decide what, if any, weakness a style might have. It's the tool-box thing. I've designed a few fencing styles (using the 7th Sea styles) where I've built in weaknesses.

But, as of just now, I can't seem to access the Hero Games site. The rest of the internet is there, but Hero Games is strangley absent. Have missed something momentous?

griffonwing

First Post
Actually, Honor+Intrigue has this option as well. According to the website:

Fencing rules that emphasize using maneuvers and pressing advantage over your opponent-- you don't simply take turns hitting each other. There are also 9 Dueling Schools, each with their own unique style.

Remove ads