You Bastard! Does Anyone Remember?! Help Get it Back on It's Feet!

Knight Otu

First Post
In my opinion, reaching the top tiers should be challenging rather than simple, but playing the game should be easy. Ideally, a new player should be able to just jut down a name, tier, and a single ability into a post, then jump into a game. The game can gain in complexity at the higher tiers, partly through items, partly through more complex abilities, partly through choices.

Wicht

Hero
Rathan, one thing to keep in mind, iirc, is that as the rules were written, signature styles were always slightly better than signature locations.

edit: Also, just as personal preference, I think the Yakuza and Honor paths were always better flavor names than light and dark. And if you're stuck for names, why not just lift them from the old paths :)

Rathan

First Post
For those not familiar... here's an example of a round for you :)

Example of a round during a judged match between two opponents

Vaslov is a dark path assassin with the cemetery signature location battling Gremus a Light Path monk with the snake signature style.

Vaslov turns mid air with the fluid movements of the seas itself twisting his body in hopes to penetrate and overwhelm his opponents defenses as he strikes out with a bare fist to bash his opponent back where he wants him for his next move.

The fist overwhelms the sea; leaps over the violence of the ledge!

Gremus lowers himself to a small posture taking the rat style in form. He waits for his opponent to make his move as he curls himself in the perfect position to strike quick and dart back out of the way!

The rat crushes the temple; averts the offensive of the bone!

(At This point the judge of the match will take both moves generated into consideration and from his or her own mind will determine the winner of the round.)

"hmmmm while the rat for was only mildly effect I feel Vaslovs use of the fist was superior this round. Round to Vaslov."

This would go back and forth like this and depending on what type of match this was (I'll get into this later) a point or a flag would be awarded to Vaslov and the match would continue.

Rathan

First Post
hmmm.. I wonder why a local wasn't equal with styles.... I wonder if there is more of them... and thus.. the likelihood of a local coming up was less than the style.... hmmmm.... and without access to toy with the generator.. I guess I'm gonna have to gen a TON of times to find out heh....

Knight Otu

First Post
From a balancing point, if there were more styles than locations, it wouldn't be out of question to keep styles a bit stronger since, as you said, any single style would be less likely to be drawn. I seem to recall that at one point there were lists posted of styles and locations, I may need to dig for that.

Wicht

Hero
If you look at the paths as written, each player recieved a signature style when they reached the first tier. I would keep that. The styles offered immunity and the locations did not. Afterwards, there was a difference of flavor with the good paths prefering styles and the darker paths taking territory.

In the end, the whole game is subjective so the 'powers' actually just made for some small variety. That is to say, game balance really has little to do with anything in YB!.

Rathan

First Post
well my friends I seem to have done it the hard way.. I gen'ed out the gen all I really needed to which is to say A LOT lol.. and came up with 50 signature styles... and 52 signature locations.... to me that's not OVERLY unbalanced.... how would you all feel about making it move of an even keel so to speak and making locals as good as styles by thus making you immune to both style and locals if you have them from gaining tiers?.... it would add a bit of balance to the game I feel and keeps it simple... what's good for the goose is good for the gander sorta thing.... making rules universal across the board is a good way to keep things simple and balanced most times..

Attachments

• Sigs and Locals.txt
    934 bytes · Views: 84
Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
to be honest... IMHO.. no... if you want a universally fair and simple system... making a 'yes' or 'no' call across the board is best really that way no one is benefited or limited more than another... I just posted my word pad file above listing the style and locals *I* found the hard way heh

- Josh

P.S. Thank you both SO much for your imput... I tried getting this game back on it's feet once before with no luck I'm glad to see there are still at least a FEW of us out there still interested in a game I have very fun and find memories of. You've been a huge help so far....

wow..... posts from 5 years ago! woot! LOL

Last edited:

Remove ads