You get to be reborn into a game world of your choice.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking I'd play papers & paychecks very differently given a second playthrough.

I hear ya on that one...

Which, of course, reminds me of the classic cartoon...

1665945705766.png

Ryujin

Legend
I'm with several others regarding ST:RPG at least as long as I could be a citizen of one of the core worlds, rather than out on the frontier dying in an invasion.

Other than that maybe TORG. Might be interesting being a transformed Elven Monk though, being born where I actually was, I'd likely end up as a boring Core Earther.

niklinna

satisfied?
Other than that maybe TORG. Might be interesting being a transformed Elven Monk though, being born where I actually was, I'd likely end up as a boring Core Earther.
I wasn't sure I should even mention Torg, but since you did! In Torg Eternity (the reboot), Core Earthers aren't that boring, they have a pretty good lock on cool Reality Perks. I think if it weren't for the bleed of crummy Orrorsh rules into every other cosm, undermining the whole point of multi-genre play, it would be interesting to live in that world. Just stay out of Tharkold and Orrorsh for sure.

Ryujin

Legend
I wasn't sure I should even mention Torg, but since you did! In Torg Eternity (the reboot), Core Earthers aren't that boring, they have a pretty good lock on cool Reality Perks. I think if it weren't for the bleed of crummy Orrorsh rules into every other cosm, undermining the whole point of multi-genre play, it would be interesting to live in that world. Just stay out of Tharkold and Orrorsh for sure.
Even Tharkold is better than Orrorsh. That Cosm is like a CoC game where the Old Ones are on steroids. I really need to give the second edition books a rerad-through. Maybe once I get the last one; Pan Pacifica (what used to be called Nippon Tech).

niklinna

satisfied?
Even Tharkold is better than Orrorsh. That Cosm is like a CoC game where the Old Ones are on steroids. I really need to give the second edition books a rerad-through.
Any game where the advice for adventuring in a particular area is "take a substitute character" has failed, in my opinion. They could have set it up for classically Call of Cthulhu type play and for "just visiting" type horror, but nope, they infected the whole rest of the game with that awful Corruption mechanic, completely stripped of any dramatic heft from the original Torg (of which I haven't read much, but I did read the Orrorsh book).

Maybe once I get the last one; Pan Pacifica (what used to be called Nippon Tech).
My GM has the preview, they've changed a lot in Pan-Pacifica; the martial arts perks are a bit off the hook. That'd be a cool cosm to live in too, as long as you keep your nose clean and have lots of money. Of course, Storm Knights don't keep their noses clean!

Ryujin

Legend
Any game where the advice for adventuring in a particular area is "take a substitute character" has failed, in my opinion. They could have set it up for classically Call of Cthulhu type play and for "just visiting" type horror, but nope, they infected the whole rest of the game with that awful Corruption mechanic, completely stripped of any dramatic heft from the original Torg (of which I haven't read much, but I did read the Orrorsh book).
I played the original, when it first came out, for something like 5 years. I know that we screwed up on one mechanic but, as I remember it, it made the game all the more fun. My favourite character was a Nile Mystery Man who had a Super Spirit attribute and Super Firearms skill.

The character of the Cosms really came through in game play. We ran into two Nippon Tech security bots in an office building, in a Nippon Tech hardpoint. My Mystery Man unloaded his two .45 Autos into one, emptied the clips, and it ground to a halt. Our Nippon Tech "Ninja" (I'm not a Ninja. Ninjas don't exist.") flicked a high-tech shuriken at the other and it exploded.
My GM has the preview, they've changed a lot in Pan-Pacifica; the martial arts perks are a bit off the hook. That'd be a cool cosm to live in too, as long as you keep your nose clean and have lots of money. Of course, Storm Knights don't keep their noses clean!
I have the preview as well, but have barely skimmed it. I was mainly interested in how they had changed the background so immediately went to the section on the Kanawa twins.

Remove ads