You get to be reborn into a game world of your choice.

In the Forgotten Realms it'll cost you:

But hey, there are worse adventurer origin stories than "I'm trying to earn enough gold to cure my male pattern baldness" out there.

Any one that has the heal spell. Heal cures male pattern baldness, right?

If I had to pick a game setting, even though it's technically counts, it feels like cheating to say Middle-Earth (Fourth Age, preferably, so I don't have to worry about the whole war thing, or balrogs, or Morgoth & Sauron). As much as I love the Forgotten Realms, I think I'd like nothing more than to be able to walk into the Inn of the Last Home, order a plate of Otik's Fried Spiced Potatoes, and look out on the Vallenwoods of Solace. So Krynn.

Wherever I got put, I'd be happy to be a dwarf. Especially since, judging by the art, they hold nothing against the aforementioned male pattern baldness.

Dioltach

Legend
If we're allowed to choose non-RPG settings, I'll go with Celestia. Eternal exploration on a flying ship with no risk of death, even when you inevitably crash. Only some of the other passengers look a bit creepy.

MarkB

Legend
It's tough to think of a game setting that wouldn't be potentially deadly to grow up in. I like Star Trek and Mass Effect for the future tech and healthcare, but in either one it's tough to think of a truly safe place to be - even the comfiest core worlds come under threat at some point.

I guess the best would be to find a gameworld in which the story has concluded, there was a happily-ever-after ending, and then the studio went bust and the IP rights got so spectacularly tied up that there's never, ever going to be a sequel - that way, nothing's going to come along to screw things up in-world. Remind me what the canonical endings were in Mass Effect? I want the one where I'm not part of the hive-mind but also all interstellar travel isn't cut off.

Good gameable worlds are not good livable worlds. Even if it's not a "solve problems with violence" game, which tends to require a far more vigilante-justice-dependent world than any I'd like to live in, it's probably still a world constantly beset with high-stakes crises.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I would probably take the Troubleshooters, and be a globetrotting troubleshooter. Not sure what archetype, maybe a journalist, or a mad inventor..

An alternative would be Star Trek, as long as I am not a sacrificial redshirt...

Ryujin

Legend
I would probably take the Troubleshooters, and be a globetrotting troubleshooter. Not sure what archetype, maybe a journalist, or a mad inventor..

An alternative would be Star Trek, as long as I am not a sacrificial redshirt...
People have done the math, based on the crew compliment listed for TOS Enterprise, and it was something like 2:1 greater odds that you'd die as a Gold Shirt. Want to have the best odds of living? Be a Blue Shirt ;)

Remove ads